How to shorten a Tach drive cable?

Old August 29th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_16_]

Default How to shorten a Tach drive cable?

I need to replace the tach cable in a friends plane. The inner part is
what needs replacement. I have access to another cable but the inner
part is too long.
How can I shorten the cable? The end is square and appears to have been
put into a press to form it.

I tried to square up a piece of cable from the old one, with no success.
i attempted to pound it square with a vise and hammer.

I was looking for an old time speedo shop here in dallas to help me with
this, but I can't seem to find them any more. I guess the modern cars
have put them out of business.

Any suggestions?

Dave
Old August 29th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Dave" wrote
Auto replacements for spedo cables usually have a fitting that is placed on
one end of the cut to length cable, and crimped in place. The fitting has
the square part on it.

It will be nearly impossible to shape your own end, short of brazing the
end, then grinding down to the desired square shape.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 29th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Stewart

Morgans wrote:
"Dave" wrote
Auto replacements for spedo cables usually have a fitting that is placed on
one end of the cut to length cable, and crimped in place. The fitting has
the square part on it.

It will be nearly impossible to shape your own end, short of brazing the
end, then grinding down to the desired square shape.

And it will be damn near impossible to get
braze to stick to something so impregnated
with grease.
Old August 30th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

....and you can get a new tach cable from Chief for about $30.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/...achCables.html
--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

It is not work that kills men; it is worry. Worry is rust upon the blade.

Old August 30th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_16_]

Mike Noel wrote:
...and you can get a new tach cable from Chief for about $30.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/...achCables.html

Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

I had a spare cable and wanted to use it to fix the broken one.
I also just noticed that the one I have has the wrong twist on it.

I'll probably have to order a new one from chief.

Cheers

dave
Old August 30th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Mike Noel wrote:
...and you can get a new tach cable from Chief for about $30.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/.../TachCables.ht
ml

Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

I had a spare cable and wanted to use it to fix the broken one.
I also just noticed that the one I have has the wrong twist on it.

I'll probably have to order a new one from chief.

Cheers

dave

Just pull out both ends and take them to your local speedometer shop.
They have all the ends and can make up one for you for a few bucks. It
is not rocket science!
Old August 30th 07, 11:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote

Just pull out both ends and take them to your local speedometer shop.
They have all the ends and can make up one for you for a few bucks. It
is not rocket science!

Tell me you're kidding! What size city do you live in, that could support
such a narrow specialty? I've never even heard of such a thing!
--
Jim in NC

Old August 30th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old August 30th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

Morgans wrote:
"Orval Fairbairn" wrote
Just pull out both ends and take them to your local speedometer shop.
They have all the ends and can make up one for you for a few bucks. It
is not rocket science!

Tell me you're kidding! What size city do you live in, that could support
such a narrow specialty? I've never even heard of such a thing!

Where are you in NC, Jim? Pretty sure Bradley's could handle it:

Bradley's Service (919) 834-5727 101 S Blount St Raleigh, NC

Dave
Old August 30th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote

Just pull out both ends and take them to your local speedometer shop.
They have all the ends and can make up one for you for a few bucks. It
is not rocket science!

Tell me you're kidding! What size city do you live in, that could support
such a narrow specialty? I've never even heard of such a thing!

Daytona Beach. Any speedometer shop should be able to make up a new
cable. The fittings are all standard.

secondary tach dave Owning 1 March 14th 07 08:34 PM
"Flaw Could Shorten Raptors' Lives" Mike Naval Aviation 0 May 12th 06 02:54 PM
Can anyone help, PLEASE - searching for zip-cord (aka: mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon cable) Striker Cat Home Built 6 October 15th 04 08:51 PM
Tachometer or Tach Cable Rich Owning 14 October 14th 04 02:54 AM
Can anyone help, PLEASE - searching for zip-cord (aka: mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon cable) Striker Cat General Aviation 0 October 12th 04 05:11 PM