Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

Old February 19th 19, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

Even when I drank (more than 30 years ago when I got into a big health thing), I hesitated to do so the night before flying and I'm not sure I ever did before or during a contest. Did it make a difference? No idea. It was one less thing to worry about.

I do know that Car & Driver magazine once did a test where they ran several of their experienced drivers through a slalom course repeatedly, timing each run, administering another drink, timing the next run, etc. Fairly closely controlled to allow the alcohol to get into their systems. IIRC, fastest times were generally after 1-2 drinks. Drivers were slightly slower when sober and their performance deteriorated rapidly after a few drinks, to the point where they started knocking over a lot of cones. The hypothesis was that these amateur (though race-experienced) drivers were a little less inhibited with a small amount of alcohol, but that more of it cost them judgment, response time, etc.

Not the same thing as for what we do, obviously.

Chip Bearden
Old February 19th 19, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Many years ago, in England at Motor Club monthly meeting at a nice country pub, as you entered a member had set up a reaction tester. Peered down a tube and when a light flashed pushed a button. Got two goes, set base line. Deal then was after two beers to repeat. Then all were collared for testing when we were thrown out at closing time (10:30 pm in them distant days).
Reaction times in general declined by 5+% after two beers and doubled by closing time. General reaction was shock. This was at the very beginning of awareness of drink and anything, not just driving.
I am always surprised how well attended (and supplied) bars still are at British gliding clubs.

Old February 19th 19, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 3:14:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I know Sebastian Kawa and a few others never touch alcohol. Some racing pilots stay away around competitions. Others have a beer waiting on ice when they land.

Is it just a high performance athlete focusing thing - or is there more to it. I did a search and couldn't fined any discussions.

WH

I don't recall seeing any data that shows that alcohol consumption improves performance.
I have seen some examples of the opposite.
I know I sleep better when I don't drink.
Others may have different experiences.
UH

I have a very good friend that I flew with a long time ago, he was one of those Naval Aviator types, but did not wear it on his sleeve. His ride was an AD Skyraider, and the ole boy could fly. I asked him once what he did after his 12 hour missions flying in 1968 in a pretty nasty place. His reply way always the same, we went to the bar and had a few drinks to get ready for the next day.
Old February 20th 19, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

This discussion reminds me of All But My Life, the biography of the great racing driver Sir Stirling Moss, who reported that when young he was so focused on his driving fitness and winning that he would not have sex for a week before a race. Then one evening due to some young lady he broke his own rule, and next day we won all of the races he had entered.
ROY
Old February 20th 19, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Well, ask a serious question on r.a.s., and see whether you get any serious answers.... We could start keeping score.

Seriously, when researching material in 2018 for my SSA talk, "29 Ways to Make Yourself Stupid," I discovered two interesting factoids:

1: Most studies of alcohol-related performance study things like, Can he still walk and chew gum after 12 beers?
But I found one study of the effect on alcohol on *complex cognitive performance.* This study found that a single ounce of alcohol produced a measurable loss.
Frankly, most flying does not entail complex cognitive skill any more than does riding a bicycle -- but contest flying in primarily cognitive, the flying skill a given,.

2: Late effects of alcohol. I found only 2 studies asking how long the impairment lasts after drinking.
This is important because alcohol is metabolized to aldehyde (think:formaldehyde). Alcohol has a half-life of about 2 hours; aldehyde has a half-live of about 6 hours.
Both studies brought subjects' blood alcohol levels to 0.10mg% (the legal limit in many places), then retested their performance repeatedly over time. In both studies, impaired performance was still significant at the end of the observation period: 24 hours in one and 48 hours in the other.

My take from this is that if you get drunk, you are still impaired on Day 3, and we have *no* data showing when you may actually return to normal.

I am sure that many competitors have done their own experiments, and would explain why elite athletes often defer alcohol to the end of the season or campaign.

With activities that produce anxiety, alcohol may improve performance by decreasing anxiety. But there are safer drugs for that (none of which are recommended by aviation medical experts).

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 2:39:11 PM UTC-6, wrote:

It actually was a serious question - I just watched Free Solo - a guy focused on a extremely technical sport. Doesn't drink.

I also have been around several people with Olympic medals - it varies but most only drink at the very end of the competition season - for the reasons of better rest/recovery, focus and no desire to relax.

I have seen a few Kawa interviews and heard him say "If I see a competitor go for a beer, I know I can beat them" - I believe he thought it was more physiological.

Old February 20th 19, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 8:41:14 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Why's that Jonathan?Â* Free beer?

On 2/19/2019 9:03 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:05:07 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I know Sebastian Kawa and a few others never touch alcohol. Some racing pilots stay away around competitions. Others have a beer waiting on ice when they land.

Is it just a high performance athlete focusing thing - or is there more to it. I did a search and couldn't fined any discussions.

WH

God I love yacht clubs.

--
Dan, 5J

Well, in Yacht clubs there is never a debate about whether or not to drink )
Old February 20th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks.... very interesting. Kawa's take on it would be interesting to hear since he is a MD - maybe if he does another interview we can ask him.

my uneducated felling is that your assumptions are pretty on point. Another data point that would be interesting is if your body is use to a few drinks a night and then you stop, what is the affect. I know there have been lots of info on work and the effect of Caffeine both for improvement and what happens during withdraw.

Your comment on R.A.S. - point taken - I am OK with a tad of Humor.... often a good thing LOL - but I do think it is a interesting subject -

From a Contest/Safety view.... how we fuel our body and the effect it has on Soaring is very interesting... at least to me LOL

WH
Old February 20th 19, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 9:14:11 AM UTC-5, danlj wrote:
[...]

I live in an area with a very nice Yacht Club - has 2 huge Bars and porch to drink on over looking Jamaica Bay, in a Extremely Irish community - the only thing missing are boats. Belle Harbor Yacht Club! no one ever get sea sick.

WH
Old February 20th 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

There is a study I saw years ago regarding performance of fighter pilots both drunk and hungover. IIRC this was done in Sweden at some point in the 80s. Couldn't find it with a quick google search, but this one did come up: "Using a repeated measures counterbalanced design, the authors had 10 Navy P3-C Orion pilots fly two carefully designed simulated flights under control (no hangover) and hangover conditions. For the control condition, pilots drank no alcohol within 48 hours before the simulated flight. For the hangover condition, they flew 14 hours after drinking enough ethanol mixed with diet soft drinks to attain a blood alcohol concentration of 100 mg/dl. Pilot performance was worse in the hangover condition on virtually all measures but significantly worse on three of six variance measures and one of six performance measures. The results indicate that caution should be exercised when piloting an aircraft 14 hours or less after ingesting similar quantities of alcohol."
Old February 20th 19, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 08:32:48 -0800, Papa3 wrote:

[...]

Interesting, especially with the "8hrs bottle to throttle" quoted earlier.

FWIW, as one of those flying from a club with a well-stocked bar
(patronised after hangar packing is complete and everything put away),
I've always heard the safe post-alcohol no-fly time quoted as

"Twelve hours bottle to throttle"

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org