Can anyone help, PLEASE - searching for zip-cord (aka: mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon cable)

Old October 12th 04, 05:10 PM
Striker Cat

Default Can anyone help, PLEASE - searching for zip-cord (aka: mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon cable)

Hello everyone,

I haven't been reading this news group to long so I'm not sure if it's ok to
ask questions of this nature here. I'm searching for zip-cord (aka:
mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon
cable) specifically looking for solid copper, 26 gauge (Smaller the better
down to 28, but will settle for 24 or 22). I'm looking for brightly colored
insulation, yellow, orange, red, etc. anything except for clear. My usual
supplier doesn't carry it anymore the vender discontinued the product. I
would like a 1000' roll, or so. I use to pay about $0.03 a foot and I'm
having a hard time finding it at any price now.

Can anyone direct me to a resource?

Thanks,
Brian

PS: my email address is "spam1 at tigerfiles dot com"

Old October 12th 04, 07:45 PM
GeorgeB

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:10:10 -0400, "Striker Cat"
wrote:

Hello everyone,

I haven't been reading this news group to long so I'm not sure if it's ok to
ask questions of this nature here. I'm searching for zip-cord (aka:
mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon
cable) specifically looking for solid copper, 26 gauge (Smaller the better
down to 28, but will settle for 24 or 22). I'm looking for brightly colored
insulation, yellow, orange, red, etc. anything except for clear. My usual
supplier doesn't carry it anymore the vender discontinued the product. I
would like a 1000' roll, or so. I use to pay about $0.03 a foot and I'm
having a hard time finding it at any price now.

Can anyone direct me to a resource?

Could you use what the telco calls "inteconnect wire", single twisted
pair used normally with 66 pumchdown blocks? I cannot find it oneht
web, but used to be able to buy 1000 ft spools in many color
combinations. It is effectively a single pair in cat3 cable.

Ask a local installer what he uses now ... the roadside panels are
(were) full of it.

Old October 14th 04, 07:00 AM
Roger

wrote:

Hello everyone,

I haven't been reading this news group to long so I'm not sure if it's ok to
ask questions of this nature here. I'm searching for zip-cord (aka:
mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon
cable) specifically looking for solid copper, 26 gauge (Smaller the better
down to 28, but will settle for 24 or 22). I'm looking for brightly colored
insulation, yellow, orange, red, etc. anything except for clear. My usual
supplier doesn't carry it anymore the vender discontinued the product. I
would like a 1000' roll, or so. I use to pay about $0.03 a foot and I'm
having a hard time finding it at any price now.

Can anyone direct me to a resource?

The original "zip cord" was a brown, parallel pair of wires. It was
commonly used on table lamps, floor lamps, and small electrical
appliances such as radios. it came in a wide range of gauges from
around 16 gauge through the heavy 10 gauge.

It's still used as "lamp cord", but I haven't seen any other than
brown, or the clear used for speaker cables. There is another that is
used for the low voltage power cables for mobile radios. The color
being red and black, or red and red with a black tracer. It's
relatively expensive as it the speaker wire unless purchased in bulk
and typically in a relatively heavy gauge.

Possibly some of the Amateur Radio suppliers could help you. Texas
Towers which is located in ... Texas, ComDac in Michigan, or Amateur
Electronic Supply with stores in Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida and I
believe Nevada are some I can think of off the top of my head.

You are probably looking at 10 times the price you quoted. I'd be
surprised if it's less than 30 cents a foot except possibly the plain
brown "lamp cord".

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old October 14th 04, 11:42 AM
Morgans

"Striker Cat" wrote

Hello everyone,

I haven't been reading this news group to long so I'm not sure if it's ok

ask questions of this nature here. I'm searching for zip-cord Thanks,
Brian

I don't mean to lecture, but I hope you are not going to use that stuff in
an airplane. It burns and drips very easily, and I don't know for sure, but
I'm pretty sure, the smoke is very toxic.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old October 14th 04, 04:12 PM
Rich S.

"Roger" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:10:10 -0400, "Striker Cat"
. . .specifically looking for solid copper, 26 gauge

The original "zip cord" was a brown, parallel pair of wires. It was
commonly used on table lamps, floor lamps, and small electrical
appliances such as radios. it came in a wide range of gauges from
around 16 gauge through the heavy 10 gauge.

Roger.........

I think he's looking for single strand "telephone" wire - not lamp cord.

Rich S.

Old October 14th 04, 06:38 PM
Roger

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:12:23 -0700, "Rich S."
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:10:10 -0400, "Striker Cat"
. . .specifically looking for solid copper, 26 gauge

The original "zip cord" was a brown, parallel pair of wires. It was
commonly used on table lamps, floor lamps, and small electrical
appliances such as radios. it came in a wide range of gauges from
around 16 gauge through the heavy 10 gauge.

Roger.........

I think he's looking for single strand "telephone" wire - not lamp cord.

Quite possibly and he did specify 26 solid, but he asked for "zip
cord" and several of the examples are heavy stranded cables such as
speaker wire. Now days you find "speaker wire" that could darn near
be used for jumper cables. :-)) I think even Radio Shack carries it
in #6 or 8 and that is some hefty cable.

Old October 15th 04, 08:51 PM
Andy Asberry

wrote:

Hello everyone,

I haven't been reading this news group to long so I'm not sure if it's ok to
ask questions of this nature here. I'm searching for zip-cord (aka:
mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon
cable) specifically looking for solid copper, 26 gauge (Smaller the better
down to 28, but will settle for 24 or 22). I'm looking for brightly colored
insulation, yellow, orange, red, etc. anything except for clear. My usual
supplier doesn't carry it anymore the vender discontinued the product. I
would like a 1000' roll, or so. I use to pay about $0.03 a foot and I'm
having a hard time finding it at any price now.

Can anyone direct me to a resource?

Thanks,
Brian

PS: my email address is "spam1 at tigerfiles dot com"

I have a 500 ft spool of red 18 ga.