Headsets that let you hear the wind?

Old July 18th 05, 07:27 PM

Default Headsets that let you hear the wind?

I was doing pattern work recently with a crummy old headset with poor
seals. I was expecting just to be annoyed by the extra noise (and of
course, I was) but what really surprised me was how much information
was in the wind noise -- as I sped up, slowed down, applied flaps, etc.
I could really hear it even without looking at the airspeed indicator.
It made me feel more in-tune with the airplane, and I liked it a lot,
in the pattern. Probably a lot less attractive during cruise.

I can't think of a way to achieve this effect on purpose with a decent
headset. It seems like jamming somthing under the ear cup would be
uncomfortable and bad for the seals. Is there anybody else who likes to
listen to their airplane *sometimes*, without giving up the radio? How
do you do it? I'll be buying a new headset next week at Oshkosh.

Old July 18th 05, 09:20 PM
RST Engineering

Drill a hole in the earcups. THe bigger the hole, the more noise you will
get. Want to put it back to reasonably stock attenuation? Put a plastic
botch button in the hole and RTV it in from the inside.

Jim

Old July 18th 05, 10:01 PM
Paul kgyy

Most ANR headsets concentrate on noise reduction at engine speeds and
actually allow quite a bit of high frequency noise to be heard. I had
a problem with my door seal a while back and it was clearly audible
with my Lightspeed 30-3G even though it does an excellent job of
reducing engine noise.

Old July 19th 05, 04:37 AM
houstondan

wolfgang langewiesche would be proud.

dan

Old July 21st 05, 05:10 AM
Adam Aulick

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I should have added that I can't
use the radio without the headset, don't want to damage the headset, and
don't want to look like a nut in front of my passengers with my headset
half-off, which leaves "buy an ANR headset with poor passive noise
reduction" Sounds good to me!

I can picture the funny looks from the headset vendors already....

Outfly the wind Doug Piloting 7 July 6th 05 03:18 PM
Headwinds, always Paul kgyy Piloting 36 June 9th 05 01:05 AM
"Interesting" wind yesterday Jay Honeck Piloting 36 March 10th 05 04:36 PM
Two non-aviation questions Ramapriya Piloting 12 November 10th 04 12:51 AM
LX4000 wind calculation AttentionLEcureuil Soaring 2 June 23rd 04 04:33 AM