Instrument Panel Power Distribution

Old January 24th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Instrument Panel Power Distribution

We're on a roll with solar powered battery charging, and battery
testing. Great projects! Great info!

A couple of years ago, Marty Eiler at Cal City told me about Anderson
PowerPole connectors, which he has fitted the fleet with. I've since
changed all my battery connectors to the 15 Amp PowerPole, and pass on
the recommendation...

http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp...015&CtgID=3014

And now West Mountain Radio is selling RigRunner fused power
distribution panels that use PowerPoles.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/Image/RIGrunner.jpg

(Or at Powerwerx.)
What a great way to wire up an instrument panel.
I've done many panel installs, and taken out some unbelievable
messes. This could possibly be the best bet for future rebuilds.
Too many gliders have antique Molex connectors, DIN plugs that
haven't latched in 5 years, and other assorted rubbish. The PowerPoles
are easy to install, latch nicely, can deliver more current than you
need, and (somehow important in the maintenance of $100,000 toys) are
cheap.
Jim

Old January 24th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jim,

Do I see the PowerPole illustration correctly -- two separate
connectors for positive and negative? I'll take the German speaker
plugs my V2 came with over that, but I am looking for something better
(and not Molex either!) ...

~ted/2NO

Old January 24th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The PowerPole connectors snap together to make a single connector of
any width you wish. Looks like you can also build NxM array connectors
for a single plug for the whole panel, though they are a bit bigger
than a Molex.

Also check these out:
http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...gs_sockets.php

They fit (almost - need to enlarge the hole ever so slightly) in the
same round DIN holes as the german power plugs. Kinda looks like a
good quality cigarette lighter plug. Just replaced the charging jacks
on my ASH-26E with these.

Thanks to "Bumper" for this one.

-Tom

Old January 25th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A lot of people in my club use XLR connectors. They are big, tough three
pin locking connectors designed for professional audio use. Its a safe
bet the last Big Rock Group you saw used them to cable up their PA. They
are also pretty good for glider power connectors.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |

I have more experience with XLR connectors and big rock groups than
anyone in their right mind wants (sorry Martin, never worked with FZ).
Prefer to keep audio connectors for audio. There is no standard as to
which pins to use for DC. Canon made a "LNE" XLR connector (Line,
Neutral, Earth) a while ago, but they went out with 8-track tapes and
polyester suits. Have used XLR for microphones, line level, speakers
and power all on the same stage, and have seen "Ooops!" (the actual
language may vary) happen with them too.
The PowerPoles are connectors popular with amateur radio people, made
specifically for low voltage power. As Tom noted, they clip together to
make multiple pin connectors. The standard configuration is one red and
one black. When you build the connector with the wire and the smooth
side of the connector towards you, the red is on the right. Unlike many
other connectors, there's no need to guess how it's wired. You can see
the standard configuration on the RigRunner. The availability of power
distribution like the RigRunner and decent use-specific connectors is
far better than ye olde barrier strips, badly done crimps, and Molex
connectors.
You may have noticed that these connectors are used on the CBAII
battery tester discussed in the "Battery Health" thread earlier.

http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp...331&CtgID=3586

Unlike the XLR, DIN or even Powerlet connectors, PowerPoles are
lightweight and therefore don't get thrown about by turbulence, as the
cables are sufficient to damp their movement.
A friend just delivered my RigRunner 4005, with 1 input and 5
outputs. It looks great, perhaps a little large. We discussed fusing...

Has anyone had luck replacing a blown fuse in flight? Usually it
blows again, as there had to be something really wrong for the first
one to go.

Looked at Tom's "Powerlet" link, They look OK but I'd still go with
the Anderson / West Mountain approach, especially behind the panel.
No, Ted I wouldn't want single-conductor connectors either.
Jim

Old January 25th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

5Z wrote:
The PowerPole connectors snap together to make a single connector of
any width you wish. Looks like you can also build NxM array connectors
for a single plug for the whole panel, though they are a bit bigger
than a Molex.

My experience of the PowerPole was with the 75A version in telecoms
power supplies and we used two blue housings (but the cable insulation
was red and blue (or black) for identification. The housings (and
contacts) are "genderless" meaning that you only need to stock one
contact type and one housing housing assuming you are happy with a
single colour (or color). By interlocking the housings you can assemble
a two pole (or more as Tom suggests) connector that is polarised. Once
interlocked they are secure and require deliberate manipulation to
separate. It would be personal choice to use two or more housing colours.

They are a great connector. When they are mated together any arc is
drawn between the tips of the contact and not the final mating surfaces.
They lend themselves to both panel and cable (free) connectors.

Cheers
Neil

Old January 25th 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've looked at Powerlets and was puzzled by one thing. I'd guess the
battery needs to be wired with the female socket. But that means the
charger has to have a male plug with (apparently) live, bare contacts
swinging in the breeze.

Have I missed something? Are you just really careful people? Or do you
blow up a lot of chargers?

Graeme Cant

Old January 25th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Graeme Cant wrote:
I've looked at Powerlets and was puzzled by one thing. I'd guess the
battery needs to be wired with the female socket. But that means the
charger has to have a male plug with (apparently) live, bare contacts
swinging in the breeze.

I suppose. But the design of the plug makes it a bit difficult to
complete a circuit. I will also have short piece of vinyl tube as a
cap for the plug to protect it from the elements and inadvertent
shorting.

-Tom

Old January 25th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

True. However, this isn't an issue when the plug is being used on a "smart
charger", as many of these don't turn on the charging current until they
sense a voltage on their contacts.

In my trailer, which has a cable w/Powerlet (also known as Bosch or BMW
style plugs) to plug into the glider wing root, I've installed an insulated
fitting that I secure the plug in when it's not being used. This is
necessary as the charging plug is connected to a trailer battery/solar
system and thus the plug is live.

These Bosch plugs are also sold through John Deere tractor supply places in
the US, as well as at BMW motorcycle shops (at more expense). I've
standardized on this style plug for all my toys.

bumper

Old January 25th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Have I missed something? Are you just really careful people? Or do
you
blow up a lot of chargers?

Yes, No, No.

You Missed Fuses and Circut Protection Circuts.

No, we are particulary any more carefull about shorting these out than
anyone else.

No, I have never blown up a charger, but have shorted it many times.

Brian