Garmin/InReach

Old October 15th 18, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Garmin/InReach

For the past several days my InReach has not displayed my flights when clicking on the proper URL. (as found on the SSA locator page) I called Garmin and they said they recently recognized a problem. Some settings for my device has evidently been changed.
Things were reset and now it seems to display okay. They said I was not the first to call with this problem. So before you trust your InReach to do its thing, you might want to drive to the corner store with it on and make sure it is displaying properly.

Dan Reagan
Old October 15th 18, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

I noticed same thing. Garmin InReach wouldn’t show track through Mapshare URL, but did display ok when logging into my account. This was for a 2.75hr flight on Sat Oct 13. My plan was to call Garmin support today. Bottom line.. check on a short test for a track using Mapshare URL

Walt WX
Old October 15th 18, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 8:16:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
For the past several days my InReach has not displayed my flights when clicking on the proper URL. (as found on the SSA locator page) I called Garmin and they said they recently recognized a problem. Some settings for my device has evidently been changed.
Things were reset and now it seems to display okay. They said I was not the first to call with this problem. So before you trust your InReach to do its thing, you might want to drive to the corner store with it on and make sure it is displaying properly.

Dan Reagan

Dan,

To get around this issue, people have been signing up for https://www.xctrack.me, which relies on Garmin's API, and has not been experiencing any outages (yet). The share pages, and all of the sites that scrape from the share pages have been struggling with data issues for more than a week now.

(Disclaimer: This is a project of mine, and I have been maintaining the software)

- Alex
Old October 15th 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I have the same issue.
Normally the issue is with the SSA tracker, so first thing to check is if your trace is showing on the Garmin web side. If it is, then you need to contact Pedja the creator of the SSA tracker to fix it.
However recently my trace is not showing even on the Garmin share page, so I suspect an issue with my Inreach or settings. I reset it but still no trace. Which setting did you change?

Ramy
Old October 15th 18, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 8:42:19 AM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
I noticed same thing. Garmin InReach wouldn’t show track through Mapshare URL, but did display ok when logging into my account. This was for a 2.75hr flight on Sat Oct 13. My plan was to call Garmin support today. Bottom line.. check on a short test for a track using Mapshare URL

Walt WX

SOLVED...

Contacted Garmin InReach support. There was a setting unchecked on my account related to MapShare which allows the public URL to display tracks.

1) Log into your Garmin Inreach account
2) Go to: "My Info" -L "Social" tabs
3) You are on "MapShare" page
4) A green button should show MapSha On (mine was ok)
5) Select the "Filter MapShare Data" button
6) There are three check boxes.. All three should be checked. On my account the "Library" box was unchecked. After checking that box... suddenly the URL mapshare line showed my most recent flight Oct 13th.

I have no idea how the box got unchecked. Perhaps a web design changed that changed the default.

Wall is well now.

Walt Rogers WX
Old October 15th 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:04:47 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
I have the same issue.
Normally the issue is with the SSA tracker, so first thing to check is if your trace is showing on the Garmin web side. If it is, then you need to contact Pedja the creator of the SSA tracker to fix it.
However recently my trace is not showing even on the Garmin share page, so I suspect an issue with my Inreach or settings. I reset it but still no trace. Which setting did you change?

Ramy

Found the solution to the problem.
Apparently Garmin caused this problem and they are working on a fix that would not require each inReach owner to do anything, but the fix has not happened yet, so if you want recent tracks from your inReach device to be available follow the instructions below:

Log into your account. Look under the Plans & Devices tab and see what active collection your device is set to go to (make sure it is in a specific collection or in the Library collection).

Next, go to the Map tab. Make sure that either the specific collection you chose or the tracks under the Library heading (whichever you chose above) is set to share to MapShare This is accomplished by making sure the "M" is enabled under the heading for these collections.

Ramy
Old October 15th 18, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 11:31:59 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
[...]

I noticed Walt just posted a different set of instructions. I believe both accomplish the same. Best to check both.

Spot or InReach ?? Jonathan St. Cloud Soaring 46 May 14th 18 08:28 PM
New - Garmin inReach Mini - Available June 15, 2018 Paul Remde Soaring 0 May 4th 18 04:48 AM
Inreach Tango Eight Soaring 4 May 2nd 18 02:26 PM
InReach SE for sale ($200, vs $300 new) Sean Fidler Soaring 2 August 21st 15 04:57 PM
Inreach best way to mount? joesimmers[_2_] Soaring 7 April 5th 14 03:34 PM