We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

Old March 16th 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vernon Brown

Default We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

At 14:24 16 March 2017, gotovkotzepkoi wrote:

Bruce Hoult;940673 Wrote:
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 10:43:09 PM UTC+3, gotovkotzepko
wrote:-
This glider already exists; here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru0deQRIS8c-

High-deflection flaps, 14m wingspan, 20:1 L/D, 0.6 m/s sink. It coul
well be faster x-country than a 1-26. Not going to match a PW5 though.

Stuff weight shift control for a joke though.

Who cares? It's a lot more fun than a sailplane

--
gotovkotzepkoi

Winch in the US quoted as $30, so how much is an aerotow?

Old March 16th 17, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

About $55 for a 2,000' tow.

Last time I did winch launch in the US it was $5 per snap. This was
with a club.

wrote:-
This glider already exists; here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru0deQRIS8c-

High-deflection flaps, 14m wingspan, 20:1 L/D, 0.6 m/s sink. It coul
well be faster x-country than a 1-26. Not going to match a PW5 though.

Stuff weight shift control for a joke though.

Who cares? It's a lot more fun than a sailplane

--
gotovkotzepkoi

Winch in the US quoted as $30, so how much is an aerotow?

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 16th 17, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

wrote:-
This glider already exists; here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru0deQRIS8c-

High-deflection flaps, 14m wingspan, 20:1 L/D, 0.6 m/s sink. It coul
well be faster x-country than a 1-26. Not going to match a PW5 though.

Stuff weight shift control for a joke though.

Who cares? It's a lot more fun than a sailplane

--
gotovkotzepkoi

Winch in the US quoted as $30, so how much is an aerotow?

Winch $17/non-members $22
Aerotows $11 hookup + $1.30/100, non-members +$12

Old March 17th 17, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

ATOS VR used prices are about 17,000 Euro. For 20:1 L/D. I flew hang gliders for 30 years, and got into sailplanes in 1999, just about the time the ATOS was introduced. The increase in weight, T/O and landing speed, coupled with my aging knees and body precluded an attempt to embrace the new technology. Instead, I bought a 25 year old glider (Centrair Pegase 101A) for about the same price and flew the heck out of it. With 40:1 L/D and a 135 kt. Vne, I got over 200 hours the first year and way more kilometers of XC flight than I had ever experienced with a hang glider. Plus, I always (well nearly always) landed back at the home airfield. On a wheel.

But I still miss hang gliding. It was the most fun I ever had. Soaring is close to the same fun, but not quite.
Old March 18th 17, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 2:11:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Nothing cheap and low(ish) performance is going to sell. People would rather have nothing and dream of a supership than buy a lower performance glider. Although lots of people will claim otherwise. Funny thing. Buying an old glider somehow covers the ego. Probably because what you get was once a supership. No fault of your own, that was 30 years ago.

HA! Tell that to the many thousands of hang glider and paraglider pilots out there enjoying flight in their "low" performance, low-cost soaring machines! THAT is the problem: There are much cheaper, no-license-required alternatives to sailplanes these days. And they are just as much fun.
Old March 18th 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Relative performance to the class of aircraft. HG/PG pilots can buy the highest performance in HG/PG. Only reason some don't is unlike sailplanes HG/PG get sketchier the more performance you squeeze out of them.

Old March 18th 17, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Low capital cost isn't everything.

What's the depreciation on a high performance hang glider?

Old March 19th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

Wouldn't the SZD-55 be a logical candidate? Competitive performance, no carbon, simple.

Cheers Ben
Old March 19th 17, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 5:31:39 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
Low capital cost isn't everything.

What's the depreciation on a high performance hang glider?

It IS everything if you can't afford it!
Then the alternative is to not fly or buy something you can afford.
Add in no license required and free launches. For most young people it's a
no-brainer. Been there and done that.

Old March 19th 17, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Add in no license required and free launches"

To paraphrase, there is no such thing as a free launch. I flew hang gliders for thirty years, and I have to say that most "free launches" involved a 4wd truck and hours of driving. Of course, I also had the option of a $6.50 tramway ride to the top of Sandia Peak in Albuquerque, but everywhere else required a drive or fees paid for winch or aerotow.

As far as depreciation, most hang gliders had about a five year lifespan if maintained properly- possibly more (depending on the amount of UV exposure..) The big problem was advancing technology, which required more investment on a regular basis to keep up. With the amount of airtime I regularly logged, I was trading gliders on a two to three year schedule. Over the years, I probably spent two or three times as much as what I spent on my Pegasus- and it is still getting me 150 hours a year, and holding its value reasonably well.