Hero emulation

Old February 23rd 18, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Hero emulation

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:44:58 PM UTC-5, Chip Bearden wrote:
This reminds me of the millions of people that have found out the hard way; that having intercourse may result in pregnancy.

Said another way, having to explain why a pilot would do a low pass that wasn't necessary for landing is like having to explain why someone would have sex for reasons other than procreation.

It's fun. It's exciting. It feels good.

I think you missed my point. I'm all for having sex or doing low passes for fun.

I just think that it is ridiculous, that people first have sex, and then afterwards learn how women get pregnant.

And likewise I think it is ridiculous, that people do low passes, then afterwards learn how sink can ruin an otherwise perfectly good low pass.
Old February 24th 18, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

So, after reading all of this I'm inclined to ask if anyone actually has put together a training program on how to best evaluate conditions and safely perform a "contest finish" in such a manner that mitigates some of the perceived risks. Shooting from the hip or winging it for a new guy is the most dangerous scenario, but getting mentored and learning the do's and don'ts could help improve the results. Simply decreeing "don't" isn't helping because it still happens every weekend at many gliderports, including mine.

If you can't make it go away, make it safer.

Paul Agnew
Jupiter, FL
ASW-19
Old February 24th 18, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

In my case I had not seen that type of sink where I found it on my pull. I had a hangar in Minden for years and flew out of there. The only time I had an issue was that one day. I also lost 1500 feet over the course of one mile returning to my home field one day, ended up doing downwind landing as I barely made the runway. Like Sh*t, sink happens. My point was and is for the new guy, it can go wrong, so have a plan B and be careful.

This kind of reminds me of a helicopter accident in FL where a MD600 news helicopter actually transmitted "watch this" as he tried to loop a 600 and immediately had a boom strike, end of flight, and life for two.

Hey I like these as much as the next guy, and have done a ton of NOE flying, mostly in helicopters and war birds. But be very careful and know you might get into a tighter corner than you thought.

Old February 24th 18, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I mentored my younger brother many years ago before his first contest in glass. Moderate summer day in Ohio, not much wind. We briefed it before, did lead-follow, advised the gliderport of our intentions, kept each other in touch via radio all the way in on final glide and through pull up and landing, and debriefed afterward.

I like low finishes. Did I say they were fun? But even when they were commonly allowed, there were places I wouldn't do them: e.g., New Castle and Sugarbush on ridge/wave days, Fairfield on high wind days, Uvalde during a rain shower, Hobbs ahead of a gust front, Minden some days, almost anywhere near a T-storm. Because you just don't know what might be there.

Chip Bearden
Old February 24th 18, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Fun - probably. Useful - no. Good for the sport - questionable. Good role model - ehhh. Judgement and risk management - not so great. Having to deal with the aftermath and bad publicity as the local airport and member of the community- not great and as as it's happened before, visiting glider pilot does something profanely stupid and the local folks clean up the mess.

I think I'll "pass".

Tom
Old February 24th 18, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Oh, I forgot - there is a good argument that a low pass is not legal. That whole minimum altitude over "a congested area but “not for the purpose of takeoff or landing.” Take a look at 91.119, make your call eyes wide open. Sorry to take all the fun out of it. I know - there's many rationalizations, justifications and arguments. Not trying to pick a fight - just pointing out some issues with the practice of this maneuver.

Tom
Old February 24th 18, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 12:08:29 AM UTC-5, Tom wrote:
Oh, I forgot - there is a good argument that a low pass is not legal. That whole minimum altitude over "a congested area but “not for the purpose of takeoff or landing.” Take a look at 91.119, make your call eyes wide open. Sorry to take all the fun out of it. I know - there's many rationalizations, justifications and arguments. Not trying to pick a fight - just pointing out some issues with the practice of this maneuver.

Tom

When you pull out the rule book you've already lost.
Old February 24th 18, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 9:08:29 PM UTC-8, Tom wrote:
Oh, I forgot - there is a good argument that a low pass is not legal. That whole minimum altitude over "a congested area but “not for the purpose of takeoff or landing.” Take a look at 91.119, make your call eyes wide open. Sorry to take all the fun out of it. I know - there's many rationalizations, justifications and arguments. Not trying to pick a fight - just pointing out some issues with the practice of this maneuver.

Tom

Not legal, cloud clearance. How many glider pilots actually know and adhere to the cloud clearance regs above 10K. I have never actually been to cloud base and I am sticking to that story.
Old February 24th 18, 09:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 8:08:29 AM UTC+3, Tom wrote:
Oh, I forgot - there is a good argument that a low pass is not legal. That whole minimum altitude over "a congested area but “not for the purpose of takeoff or landing.” Take a look at 91.119, make your call eyes wide open. Sorry to take all the fun out of it. I know - there's many rationalizations, justifications and arguments. Not trying to pick a fight - just pointing out some issues with the practice of this maneuver.

Power pilots deliberately practice "missed approach" with no intention of landing on the first pass all the time.
Old February 24th 18, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Hey - just saying. I know the whole both sides of the deal as I've been doing this a while.

Here's a good article worth a read: https://www.flyingmag.com/recalling-...orne-of-hubris

I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind and there are those who will continue to do low pass finishes and those that won't. I just encourage those who continue to do them -you understand and manage the risk, don't screw up and make sure that the impressionable inexperienced pilots around know this is advanced level with a high degree of risk and they shouldn't emulate the low pass without training and knowing the risks involved.

Regards, Tom

Zero to Hero in one flight Tony[_5_] Soaring 5 June 18th 10 09:50 PM
The Un-Sung Hero of Parawan [email protected] Soaring 7 July 17th 07 05:45 PM
a hero passes Ray O'Hara[_2_] Aviation Photos 21 May 7th 07 11:31 AM
Piggyback Hero No Name Aviation Photos 6 January 31st 07 03:52 AM
the passing of a hero Ray O'Hara Aviation Photos 1 December 3rd 06 08:57 AM