How about the HP-18 (rather than KA-6CR)?

Old October 2nd 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael[_1_]

Default How about the HP-18 (rather than KA-6CR)?

Doug Hoffman wrote:
I had 20 hours total flying *anything* when I first flew my RS-15.
Thanks to information from the HP group everything went just fine. And
continues to. The very robust oleo strut landing gear is nice to have
when you make an "interesting" landing. ;-)

Not all the HP's have oleo gear. Mine doesn't.

The major disadvantage [ of an HP glider]- it doesn't fly
like most gliders.

I would say that about the only time it "doesn't fly like most gliders"
is when landing.

I agree with that.

Glide path control is flaps only, no spoilers. Many
consider this to be an advantage. But it is personal preference I'm
sure.

Absolutely. Personally, I prefer it - once you get the hang of it, you
can make very steep approaches over obstacles and land on a dime - not
a trivial consireation since you will eventually have to land off
field.

From a builder's perspective for the HP kits: 1) No spoilers makes for

an easier build. 2) The V-tail makes for an easier build (just make
two identical parts, except mirror-imaged).

Not all HP's have V-tails. Mine doesn't.

Michael

Old October 2nd 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Michael,

I believe in an earlier post you stated that you owned a HP-11. In this
message you mentioned that it isn't a "V" tail. Is it N821Z?
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-11/N821Z.html
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP...flections.html

Is it for sale? If so, send me the details.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]