Has anyone played with th e Airmap 1000

Old December 11th 03, 06:33 PM
TripFarmer

Jay,

What all do you need to hook it up to? Antenna?

Trip

Here is a picture of my AvMap mounted on my yoke:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V3EF424C6

As you can see, it fits perfectly, and does not block any of the "Sacred
Six" instruments. I believe the yoke in my Pathfinder is the same as yours,
no?

I wouldn't wear it on my knee because of the heat it generates, and because
of the unnatural feeling of having to look down at my knees for critical
information. (Same reason I discarded my knee-board years ago.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Jerald Malin" wrote in message
link.net...
Jay:

, and I can't really strap it
to my leg and still scribble down clearances. I do like that color display
though. It is gangbusters.

You are right about Lowrance, they never were particularly on time with
their promised goodies.

I am putting color LCD displays in IR Thermal Imaging cameras at work.

They
run less than $60 in small quantities. I sure don't understand why they

are
not more common. TFT LCD Technology is pretty common. I can't wait for the
OLED technology to come out with larger displays. They are awesome.

Now if somebody can come up with a 5" diag color GPS mounted on your yoke

in
landscape mode, that would be the ticket.

Jerry Malin
Warrior N82045

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will

buy
one, and they will announce a color screen.

Unlikely. Lowrance told me they were "just about" to introduce a color
GPS -- at OSH '99!

Want color? Get the AvMap... http://www.avmap.it/ It's awesome!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 11th 03, 06:39 PM
Dave Butler

R. Hubbell wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:50:44 -0500 Dave Butler wrote:

[somebody] wrote:

I have flown without color for a long time. A good clear display is all I
need, color is what I want. Unfortunately, color is pricey, pretty but
pricey.

It also sucks batteries. I can do without the color in exchange for the
additional battery life.

Good point, but don't these units run off plane power?

Ahhh. Thanks. I didn't know that. Never mind.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old December 11th 03, 08:30 PM
Jay Honeck

What all do you need to hook it up to? Antenna?

The antenna is up on the glareshield, on the left side. I have routed the
wire leading to it down the yoke and under the dash, then up the left side
where the panel and side-wall meets. It actually tucks in behind the side
panel a bit, and is almost completely invisible.

The power wire is plugged into my cigar lighter. Again, I've routed this
wire down the yoke and under the panel, and it's almost completely
invisible. It's also completely out of the way, so you're not tripping over
wires. (Yet another upside of owning your own plane -- you can zip tie
wires under the dash so that you don't have to fight the cable octopus on
every flight...)

We've got the identical set-up for our old Airmap 300, on the co-pilot's
yoke.

The only weak link in the whole cockpit is the stupid cigar lighter, which
(IMHO) is NOT a reliable power outlet. It's simply too easy to be reaching
for something, and bump the dumb plug -- which causes a momentary
interruption in power. I'm looking at installing a more robust 12 volt
power outlet (Radio Shack has a few really good "screw on" models) at our
next annual.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 12th 03, 01:00 AM
Hankal

The only weak link in the whole cockpit is the stupid cigar lighter, which
(IMHO) is NOT a reliable power outlet. It's simply too easy to be reaching
for something,

Jay.
I do not plug my AvMap into the cigar lighter outlet until I have started my
engine and switched my main CB to alternator.
I thing that the sudden power surge could harm the GPS.
Maybe I am to cautious, but better safe than sorry.
Just love that AvMap, would not fly wothout it.
Hank N1441P
Old December 12th 03, 01:29 AM
Tom

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I was looking at different GPS at different sites and I was amazed at

how
much cheaper the marine units were. It really makes me wonder why the
aviation handhelds are soo much more.

You're new to this "flying thing", eh? :-)

ANYTHING that says "Aviation" on it costs twice as much -- or more. This
includes everything, from electronics to Chrysler alternators... :-(
--

....and seat belts.

I remember several years ago our guys needing to replace a seat belt; they
could have bought a set at AutoZone (or who ever carried such things at they
time) for $8.00, but they had to use "Aircraft" belts, that cost like $68.

Came to find out they were the EXACT SAME BELTS...same links, same material,
virtually the same mounts.

Old December 12th 03, 01:31 AM
Tom

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Good point, but don't these units run off plane power?

Yep.

The AvMap doesn't even use batteries. We keep an extra "power pack" on
board (a 12-volt thingy that you can plug a cigar lighter into), in case

the
plane's electrical system goes Tango Uniform in flight.

If the plane electrical system goes TU, so will the power to the lighter
jack (stopping power to your 12-volt thingy).

Old December 12th 03, 01:38 AM
Javier Henderson

"Tom" writes:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Good point, but don't these units run off plane power?

Yep.

The AvMap doesn't even use batteries. We keep an extra "power pack" on
board (a 12-volt thingy that you can plug a cigar lighter into), in case

the
plane's electrical system goes Tango Uniform in flight.

If the plane electrical system goes TU, so will the power to the lighter
jack (stopping power to your 12-volt thingy).

I think the power pack he's talking about is a box with batteries inside,
and a cigar lighter jack. IE, independant of ship's power.

-jav
Old December 12th 03, 01:45 AM
Kevin

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Does ram make a mount so you can mount it on the glareshield so it is
more heads up?

Thanks

Old December 12th 03, 02:31 AM
Jay Honeck

I think the power pack he's talking about is a box with batteries inside,
and a cigar lighter jack. IE, independant of ship's power.

Correctomundo! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 12th 03, 02:33 AM
Jay Honeck

Does ram make a mount so you can mount it on the glareshield so it is
more heads up?

Well, if you put a 6 inch TV screen up on the glareshield, I don't think
you'll see much out the front anymore! :-)

No, it's too big for the glareshield.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA