Populat Mechanics Octobrer issue

Old September 20th 03, 09:15 PM
Wally Samuelson

Default Populat Mechanics Octobrer issue

I just received the October issue of Popular Mechanics. The cover story is
about factory built sport planes. You don't need a license.

As usual the article is long on hype and short on specifics. I would love
to have a scale down of a P-51 Wow wouldn't that be a kick

Wally (I've quit posting my age, Lets just say my seniority number is
getting low.)

Old September 20th 03, 11:14 PM
Morgans

"Wally Samuelson" wrote in message
et...
I just received the October issue of Popular Mechanics. The cover story

is
about factory built sport planes. You don't need a license.

As usual the article is long on hype and short on specifics. I would love
to have a scale down of a P-51 Wow wouldn't that be a kick

Wally (I've quit posting my age, Lets just say my seniority number is
getting low.)

I have not read the article, but let me correct a few things in your post.

You do need a license. It has less training hours, and a few more
restrictions. Day visual flight rules only, and to go to another towered
airport, you must have a briefing from an instructor.

You do not, however have to have a medical certificate. I if you have a
driver' license, that is enough.

The planes are limited in weight, stall speed, and top speed, and to two
people.

The real kick is that this is so far, just a proposal for a new rule. It
could be five more months until anyone can tell you anything for sure.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 21st 03, 12:01 PM
Cub Driver

You do need a license. It has less training hours, and a few more
restrictions. Day visual flight rules only, and to go to another towered
airport, you must have a briefing from an instructor.

If this is correct, the sport pilot license is less restrictive than
my recreational pilot cert. For each towered airport, I need an
endorsement from my instructor.

That restriction is the only thing I've ever regretted about not
getting a PPL. I'd assumed in training that like the XC restriction it
could be lifted by additional training and a one-time endorsement, but
not so.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old September 21st 03, 01:27 PM
Steve Foley

But the restriction can be lifted by a checkride.

I don't know if you would need the entire private PTS, or if they would only
cover what's missing from the recreational certificate.

You'll probably find you have all the requirements of a private if you've
been flying a while.

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old September 22nd 03, 07:15 AM
Eric Pinnell

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:15:26 GMT, "Wally Samuelson"
wrote:

I just received the October issue of Popular Mechanics. The cover story is
about factory built sport planes. You don't need a license.

As usual the article is long on hype and short on specifics. I would love
to have a scale down of a P-51 Wow wouldn't that be a kick

Wally (I've quit posting my age, Lets just say my seniority number is
getting low.)

Incorrect. The Sport Plane category still requires a driver's
license, but not a pilot's license.

Eric Pinnell

(Author, "Claws of The Dragon", "The Omega File")

For a preview, see: http://www.ericpinnell.com and click on "books"
Old September 22nd 03, 01:52 PM
Robert Moore

Eric Pinnell wrote

Incorrect. The Sport Plane category still requires a driver's
license, but not a pilot's license.

Of course it doesn't require a pilot's license since the US FAA
doesn't issue any pilot "licenses", only airman certificates.

But your premise is still incorrect in any case. From an FAA web
site:

Pilots and Flight Instructors
These are the new pilot and flight instructor certificates that would
be established:

New airmen certificates would include a student pilot certificate for
operating light-sport aircraft, a sport pilot certificate, a flight
instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating.
Two new aircraft category and class ratings -- weight-shift-control
(with land and sea class ratings) and powered parachute.
New training and certification requirements for these new ratings.
A current and valid U.S. driver’s license or an FAA airman medical
certificate would be required to operate a light sport aircraft.

Bob Moore
ATP CFI
Old September 22nd 03, 03:31 PM

I never have understood the recreational pilot's license. It
takes pretty much the same amount of time, and still requires the PTS,
checkride, and medical. It has glaring shortcomings in utility, however,
with only one passenger, and 50 miles from base. The proposed sport
license makes more sense, since there's no medical required. If you go
through the trouble of a rec license, though, might as well do a few
cross-countries with a VOR and get the PPL.

FWIW
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old September 22nd 03, 03:38 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Eric Pinnell wrote:

Incorrect. The Sport Plane category still requires a driver's
license, but not a pilot's license.

I think you're confusing license with medical certificate. The Sport Plane
pilot will still need some type of pilot certificate, but will not need a
medical certificate if he has a driver's license.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that cannot
be learned any other way. Samuel Clemens
Old September 22nd 03, 03:50 PM

In rec.aviation.owning G.R. Patterson III wrote:
: Sport Pilot will be similar if the DOT does it again.

Except it'll be even less useful since the plane must be
lower-performance.

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

September issue of Airman available Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 2nd 04 04:39 AM
Bogus Issue jls Home Built 2 August 15th 04 04:47 AM
Aviation Conspiracy: Bush Backs Down On Tower Privatization Issue!!! Bill Mulcahy General Aviation 3 October 1st 03 05:39 AM
September issue of Afterburner now on line Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 9th 03 09:13 PM
August issue of Airman now available Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 8th 03 02:48 AM