limit of trim = limit of travel?

Old April 26th 08, 11:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default limit of trim = limit of travel?

Are the limits of control surface movements produced by setting trim to its
extremes also usually the absolute limits of travel for those surfaces, or is
it usually possible to move them further with movement of the yoke? Or does
this vary significantly from one aircraft design to another?
Old April 26th 08, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:02:37 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Are the limits of control surface movements produced by setting trim to its
extremes also usually the absolute limits of travel for those surfaces, or is
it usually possible to move them further with movement of the yoke? Or does
this vary significantly from one aircraft design to another?

you are plain and simple a clueless ****wit.
if you had any intelligence you would have gone out in the real world
and looked at an aeroplane.

trim has nothing to do with the movement limits on control surfaces.

control surfaces are limited by things called "stops". essentially
they are adjustable bolts. it is usual for them never to be changed
once the aircraft is initially set up for flight. they are designed to
positively stop further movement of the surface.

here is a question you can research.

what aerodynamic consideration is in the mind of the designer when
they set up the maximum movement of a control surface?

your inability to find an acceptable answer by your own non-internet
research will confirm to you that you are a retard.

oxygen is a valuable resource. please stop wasting it.
Stealth Pilot
Old April 26th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Robert Moore wrote in
46.128:

Mxsmanic wrote
Are the limits of control surface movements produced by setting trim
to its extremes also usually the absolute limits of travel for those
surfaces, or is it usually possible to move them further with movement
of the yoke? Or does this vary significantly from one aircraft design
to another?

I have never flown or seen an airplane where the trim systen could cause
full control deflection ....not even close.

I've flown a few that couldn't even be trimmed for slow flight or approach
( pre war stuff) The trim was apparently only considered to be useful for
cruise.

Bertie
Old April 26th 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert Moore writes:

I have never flown or seen an airplane where the trim systen could cause
full control deflection ....not even close.

Thanks.
Old April 26th 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

I've flown a few that couldn't even be trimmed for slow flight or approach
( pre war stuff) The trim was apparently only considered to be useful for
cruise.

Interesting. I was flying my simulated Cessna 182 and it didn't seem like the
pitch trim fully deflected the elevators even with the trim all the way over
(that is, I could still move the yoke to get even further deflection). It
sounds like this is true to life.

Specifically, I've been trying to practice slow flight, but it seems to be
really hard to get the aircraft anywhere near its minimum speed. During the
course of this practice I noticed that even trimming for full nose up didn't
seem to actually get the aircraft down towards the bottom of the green band,
so I was wondering if it were really possible to trim it that far. It doesn't
sound like it is. I'll have to try holding the yoke to fly really slowly.
Old April 26th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Specifically, I've been trying to practice slow flight, but it seems to be
really hard to get the aircraft anywhere near its minimum speed. During
the
course of this practice I noticed that even trimming for full nose up
didn't
seem to actually get the aircraft down towards the bottom of the green
band,
so I was wondering if it were really possible to trim it that far. It
doesn't
sound like it is. I'll have to try holding the yoke to fly really slowly.

That's a limitation of the sim. Even in our "Penguin" (see it he
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm ) which comes as close to
simulating real flight as you can get without spending an absurd amount of
money, slow flight is difficult even for experienced pilots.

When doing slow flight in a real airplane you have many sensory cues that
are missing in the sim. The peculiar feeling of hanging on the prop, the
increased angle of attack, the different sounds -- they're missing from the
sim.

With practice slow flight can be done in MSFS (and, yes, the trim is
important) but it's all got to be done on the gauges. If you have a second
screen for the instrument panel, that helps.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 26th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

With practice slow flight can be done in MSFS (and, yes, the trim is
important) but it's all got to be done on the gauges. If you have a second
screen for the instrument panel, that helps.

I'm not sure I understand: Are you saying that you can do slow flight in the
sim as in the real aircraft, except that you have to do it by instruments, or
are you saying that the sim doesn't correctly simulate slow flight at all
(i.e., it can't be done)?

Also, are you using the default aircraft or have you installed add-on
aircraft? For the Cessna I'm flying, I use Carenado's Cessna 182RG II
simulation, which is supposedly pretty good (vastly better than the default
Cessna, of course).
Old April 26th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Are the limits of control surface movements produced by setting trim to its
extremes also usually the absolute limits of travel for those surfaces, or is
it usually possible to move them further with movement of the yoke? Or does
this vary significantly from one aircraft design to another?

I don't have any actual figures handy, but my answer would be no. You
should have movement on the major control surface available beyond the
max trim limits.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old April 26th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

I've flown a few that couldn't even be trimmed for slow flight or
approach ( pre war stuff) The trim was apparently only considered to
be useful for cruise.

Interesting. I was flying my simulated Cessna 182 and it didn't seem
like the pitch trim fully deflected the elevators even with the trim
all the way over (that is, I could still move the yoke to get even
further deflection). It sounds like this is true to life.

Nothing about a sim is true to life. It's a toy. Different airplanes have
different authorits. i can loop my Citabira with the pitch trim.

Bertie
Old April 26th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Apr 27, 12:09*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip writes:
I've flown a few that couldn't even be trimmed for slow flight or approach
( pre war stuff) The trim was apparently only considered to be useful for
cruise.

Interesting. *I was flying my simulated Cessna 182 and it didn't seem like the
pitch trim fully deflected the elevators even with the trim all the way over
(that is, I could still move the yoke to get even further deflection). *It
sounds like this is true to life.

Look at the size of a trim surface and the size of the elevator. Think
about which one is more powerful. You can't stall a 182 with full
trim, but you can with the yoke. OK?

Cheers

The Sky is Their Limit [email protected] Soaring 7 November 13th 06 02:44 AM
speed limit in class B Andrey Serbinenko Piloting 0 July 23rd 06 04:05 AM
Pegasus life limit Mark628CA Soaring 2 March 30th 06 10:37 PM
Aft CG limit(s) Andy Durbin Soaring 13 November 26th 03 05:10 AM
Pushing the limit Dan Shackelford Military Aviation 20 September 14th 03 10:27 PM