CFIs: THE IMPORTANCE OF LANGUAGE!

Old January 25th 05, 11:05 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jeff Franks" said:
"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means."

INCONCEIVABLE!!!!!

My name is Rod Machado. You killed my engine. Prepare to die.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Faced with the prospect of rereading this book, I would rather have my brains
Old January 25th 05, 11:17 PM
Jay Beckman

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Jeff Franks" said:
"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means."

INCONCEIVABLE!!!!!

My name is Rod Machado. You killed my engine. Prepare to die.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/

No more callers, we have a winner...nice!

Jay B

Old January 25th 05, 11:18 PM
tom418

Be careful when flying in CLOSE proximity to other aircraft
"gatt" wrote in message

When we were doing touch and goes during a complex checkout yesterday we

had
an incident right after touchdown because of a blue heron in our immediate
path. The CFI said "to your detriment you already had the flaps at one
notch...", which confused me.

Later, he pulled the power on me approaching the pattern. During the
debrief he said "You see what happened? You forgot to do your third GUMPs
check but to your detriment you remembered to do it on final." To my
detriment I remembered to do one last GUMP check? I think he meant to my
CREDIT. (Unless there's some reason you wouldn't want a notch of flaps in
an Arrow II during short-field TnGs or wouldn't want to do the last "three
green, prop forward" before touchdown.) I might have gone home thinking

he
was telling me it's incorrect to have a notch of flaps had it not been for
his later mistake.

My instrument instructor used to like to say, in reference to the DE,

"one
of his pet peeves is to..." "One of his pet peeves is pattern B." If

his
pet peeve is Pattern B, why are we spending so much time on it? "His pet
peeve is to keep you in a holding pattern." Apparently, she believes that
"pet peeve" means "things he likes to do." Entirely excusable, but

another
example of language inaccuracy which might be potentially

counterproductive.

It's important not to confuse your students. Using correct terminology

and
language is important to that end. Please remain vigilante. ;

-c

Old January 26th 05, 12:18 AM
gregg

Jay Beckman wrote:

"The vestle with the pestle has the brew that is true..."

No no the pellet with the poison is in the Flagon with the Dragon. The
Chalice in the palace holds the brew that is true.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Old January 26th 05, 02:57 AM
CryptWolf

"gatt" wrote in message

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

Especially when you are putting the plain in the hanger. Don't ride the
breaks, either.

Upon soft-field touchdown, the pilot should call out "three on the green."

That is only for golf course landings.

Old January 26th 05, 07:05 AM

I know what you mean.
Try a checkout with a foreign instructor, well actually I was the
foreigner a couple of times.
Overhere we have a sort of universal language called 'Euro-English'.
It is a mix of the local language, english, gestures, pointing and the
most important, smiling a lot.
Great for ordering drinks, food, directions and so on but not for
instruction.

I enjoyed every occasion and never felt unsafe, maybe a bit confussed.
-Kees

Old January 26th 05, 11:11 AM
tscottme

"greenwavepilot" wrote in message
oups.com...
Irregardless, you shouldn't loose your concentration.

If only we could incentivize students to regard their actions as impactful
less they screw up and become disorientated.

--

Scott

Liberals love America like OJ loved Nicole. - Ann Coulter

Old January 26th 05, 03:30 PM

Oh well.....the correct use of English seems to have been a problem for
more years than most of us have been alive. Schools don't teach it
anymore, because, any more, it doesn't seem to matter?
What a pity. And, of course, writing it does have a different impact in
that we have time to digest the writing and disect it for proper
useage. Allowing for faster fingers than brain with mis-spellings,
improper punctuation, etc, there are ample opportunities for people to
show ignorance of the english language.
Education is just plain dumbing down to use a colloquialism. Teachers
are not being taught so they only pass on their ignorance.
Such a damned shame.
Ol S&B

Old January 26th 05, 03:41 PM

Just brought up another point...... How about the student who doesn't
have a clue what proper english is? Sure they have been to school but
what does that mean? I'm convinced that our modern education system is
falling into disrepute and decay judging from the dismal results of
testing across the country.
Having the experience to teach is one thing. Being able to convey that
to a student is another. Then, what is the educational level of the
teacher?
Your post illuminates the deficiencies and I agree with you. If a
student doesn't have some good skills with the english language, how
can we expect them to gain anything useable from reading? If a CFI only
serves to accentuate that with poor english useage, where does it go?
There was a comedian years ago who used misuse of English as his
comedic routine and he was very successful with it. Norm Crosby by
name. Norm was partially deaf and used that as his entree to what can
happen with misunderstanding what was said vs what was meant.
Wish I could explain my self more clearly.
Ol S&B