Are autopilots allowed for IFR training?

Old October 22nd 06, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Are autopilots allowed for IFR training?

The Visitor writes:

Yes.

In point of fact many large ac are not hand flown, except rarely.

In point of fact, gear up, ap on, autoland armed on approach. Or it is
taken at minimums.

On very large ac, there really is no hand flying happening. And with
three autopilots, it is not even considered to be a possible failure.
Meaning on rides, you can, without penalty, rely on "Otto". Yes even
with an engine out.

If I can do everything on autopilot, I might as well go out and pick
up an instrument rating right now. It's easier to fly in low
visibility with a good autopilot than it is to hand-fly the plane in
VMC. And if there's a complete flight management system on board, it
becomes more of a course in computer programming than a form of
flight, although I guess one can still get satisfaction from taxis to
and from the runway (I know some systems can take you from gate to
gate, but I don't know if anyone is using them).

Old October 22nd 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Back to the OP question...
If the airplane used for the IR practical test has an
autopilot, the applicant is REQUIRED to be able to properly
use the AP. Therefore, training is required. AP failures,
IAP coupled, and tansitions to and from the AP are tested.
a.. Testing in modern aircraft with electronic flight
instrument displays has been addressed.
b.. The use of autopilot and flight management during
testing has been addressed.
c.. The requirement for the use of a view-limiting device
has been clarified.
d.. The need for testing in Single-Pilot Resource
Management has been addressed and clarified.
e.. Reference to the metric system has been eliminated.
f.. The body of the PTS has been updated to include
electronic flight instrument displays, flight management
systems, GPS, and autopilot usage.
g.. The need for testing basic instrument flight maneuvers
throughout the practical test instead of being treated as
separate TASKs has been addressed in AREA OF OPERATION IV.
FAA-S-8081-4D

The applicant is expected to utilize an autopilot and/or
flight management system (FMS), if properly installed,
during the instrument practical test to assist in the
management of the aircraft. The examiner is expected to test
the applicant's knowledge of the systems that are installed
and operative during the oral and flight portions of the
practical test. The applicant will be required to
demonstrate the use of the autopilot and/or FMS during one
of the nonprecision approaches.

If the practical test is conducted in the aircraft, and the
aircraft has an operable and properly installed GPS, the
applicant must demonstrate GPS approach proficiency when
asked. If the applicant has contracted for training in an
approved course that includes GPS training in the system
that is installed in the airplane/simulator/FTD and the
airplane/simulator/FTD used for the checking/testing has the
same system properly installed and operable, the applicant
must demonstrate GPS approach proficiency. When a practical
test is conducted for a 14 CFR part 135 operator, the
operator's approved training program is the controlling
authority.

http://www.faa.gov/education_researc...-S-8081-4D.pdf

"Blanche" wrote in message
| Roy Smith wrote:
| Blanche wrote:
| Me, personally, have a 1/2-axis autopilot. Turn it on,
it holds
| the heading. Well, not really. Since it's not coupled
to anything,
| it doesn't know when there's any deviation, such as
winds. I can
| start out on a heading of 120, turn on the AP. If winds
| are from the north, then my actual track is more
southerly, depending
| on the strength of the winds.
|
| I assume you understand the difference between heading
and track?

| Heading: direction in which the longitudinal axis of the
aircraft
| points with respect to true or magnetic north. Heading is
equal to
| course plus or minus any wind correction angle.
|
| Course: intended direction of flight in the horizontal
plane measured
| in degrees from north.
|
| Track: actual flight path of an aircraft over the ground.
Also referred
| to as ground track.
|
| Ref: Aviation Dictionary, Jeppesen, 2003.
|
| OK - my bad. I should have stated "start out on a course
of 120". But

Old October 22nd 06, 09:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Jim Macklin" writes:

e.. Reference to the metric system has been eliminated.

Interesting. What does this mean?

Old October 22nd 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Back to the OP question...
If the airplane used for the IR practical test has an
autopilot, the applicant is REQUIRED to be able to properly
use the AP.

I will not take the opportunity to point out that this information, and ALL of
the other information the OP has asked about is available online, either at the
FAA web pages, or by googling this group.

This same subject was discussed here, not more than a couple months ago.

I wish you all would quit spoon feeding, and enabling this guy. You would have
told any other person to google it.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 22nd 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article ,
Blanche wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:
Blanche wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I think you got it. I was a little worried from the way you phrased
things originally.
Old October 22nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:
Can you use an autopilot when training for or being examined for an
instrument rating, or do you have to fly the aircraft by hand?

I used it for both my training and on my checkride. It shows
you know how to use all the tools effectively. If you got something
operational in the plane, it's fair game for the examiner to ask
about it. Mine was pretty cool, he was willing to let me fly the
partial panel approach with the autopilot even, but it was really
turbulent and it was hunting a bit so I decided to hand fly it
after the first part.

I would fly IFR without the autopilot, but you can't have my
moving map until you pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Old October 22nd 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:
Kev writes:

It sounds like he does. He was giving a simple example of what would
happen if he set his autopilot heading to his course, with no
adjustment for wind. His track would then be affected, as he said.

Are there autopilots that will actually hold the aircraft to a track
instead of a heading? I imagine it would require close integration
with a GPS or other navaids that permit the actual path over the
ground to be determined (GPS may provide this directly; it might have
to be inferred from other navaids).

Any autopilot that has a NAV setting will he holding a track it just
follows a "virtual" needle from either a GPS or NAV receiver.

Old October 22nd 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Any autopilot that has a NAV setting will he holding a track it just
follows a "virtual" needle from either a GPS or NAV receiver.

--
All of Mxsmanic's questions could be easily answered by googling this group,
googling the web for products, or by reading the FAA web pages. Please do not

Old October 22nd 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Judah writes:

A question like this might be best asked on Rec.Aviation.Student.

Because licensed pilots don't have instrument ratings?

No, because Rec.Aviation.Piloting is a forum for pilots to discuss flying
planes. Rec.Aviation.Student is a forum for flight students to discuss flight
training and flight testing standards. A question about whether an autopilot
is permitted during a flight test applies to the latter.

A bit of respect might go a long way...
Old October 22nd 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:43:49 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

It's easier to fly in low visibility with a
good autopilot than it is to hand-fly the plane in VMC.

And this is based upon your extensive gaming experience?

tailwheel endorsement Jose Piloting 65 April 27th 06 01:59 AM
Training Day before SSA Convention Paul Remde Soaring 6 November 9th 05 11:00 PM
Advice and experts with 400 series Cessnas (414 and 421), purchase and training [email protected] Owning 36 January 9th 05 02:32 AM