Are there any "pilot" watches that are actually helpful for pilots?

Old November 16th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Are there any "pilot" watches that are actually helpful for pilots?

On 2007-11-16 05:31:45 -0800, es330td said:

For the people who have flown, have any of you found a watch with any
special features that actually helped you in performing your piloting
tasks?

Thanks

I like the Swiss Army Cavalry watch. It has a big sweep hand stopwatch.
The face is almost as large as the one on my Air Force issue pocket
watch was.

If you really want a watch to be useful to a pilot, it should have
luminous hands and numbers. The stopwatch can be useful, especially if
you are a CFI-I and don't want to mess up the way your student uses the
airplane clock or his timer.

In the 1970s Air Force I was issued two pocket watches: one with a
luminous 24 hour dial and a large stopwatch. I used them constantly as
a navigator. I still think that a large pocket watch can be a useful
tool for a pilot. Hang it on a chain or string around your neck for
easy access. Some used pocket watches are amazing bargains.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 16th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-11-16 07:07:01 -0800, Kingfish said:

You must be joking. We dont' buy pilot watches to tell time - like the
replica AVG bomber jackets, they're strictly a fashion accessory...
(I'd mortgage my mother for a Breitling Navitimer though)

A real leather aviator's jacket made of goat leather is useful for the
same reasons that the originals we tough as nails, lets you lie on
your back on the ramp without being discomfited by sharp stones or hot
pavement, does not absorb oil stains easily, it actually keeps you warm
without being too hot, and it is resistant to weather and wind. It
should not have a seam anywhere on the back, as this lets in both
moisture and cold air.

OTOH, I find that a Tilley works well as an aviator's hat. People make
fun of my 'fishing hat,' but I will never part with it.

Old November 16th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 16, 6:31 am, es330td wrote:
I am in the market for a new watch and thought that if I am going to
be a pilot I would see if there was something that I could use to
assist me in flying. My first thought was that something that was
Indiglo with larger numbers so I could see it easily at night would be
good as would one with two time zones so I can have one set to Zulu
and one to local. A countdown timer and stopwatch might come in
handy.

I went looking on the 'Net and found watches with compasses and
altimeters and even an E6-B but I question the value of those. If I
am ever in a situation where my altimeter, gyro, wet compass and both
GPS units , one a battery powered 96C, that show me heading and
altitude in the plane have failed I should lose my license for not
putting down long before I have to rely on a compass or altimeter in a
wris****ch.

For the people who have flown, have any of you found a watch with any
special features that actually helped you in performing your piloting
tasks?

Thanks

Those fancy pilot watches are very helpful to the owners of
the factories that make them. They make lots of money off our desire
to look important. I have owned numerous types of watches over the
years, and found that very few of the features ever get used. A
lighted dial is nice, as is an alarm. I fix airplanes, too, and find
that my work destroys watches so I buy $40 units that serve perfectly
well enough in flight. Who needs a calculator watch when you have a
whizwheel as well? Or a stopwatch when there's one on the yoke? And
who needs a GPS watch? The guys who can't read a map, I suppose. The
watch won't work in the airplane anyway; too much metal in the way.
Petter Garrison once had an article if FLYING magazine about
just this sort of thing. He spoke of the guys around the airport who
sported flight suits and big watches and other pilot stuff, and said
that he noticed that these guys mostly couldn't fly worth poop. As he
sat there observing all this, a cropduster landed with a delicate
squeak, exactly on the TD zone, rolled right down the centerline and
taxied to its truck, turning precisely into position with inches to
spare. No wasted movement, nothing that could be considered remotely
dangerous or embarrassing. A real expert. The guy that got out? Wore a
tattered logger jacket and stained ball cap.
Which pilot do you want to be?

Dan
Old November 16th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

es330td wrote:

For the people who have flown, have any of you found a watch with any
special features that actually helped you in performing your piloting
tasks?

Maybe it's because my GPS is old, but the altitude displayed is often a few
hundred feet different than what is displayed on my altimeter. I've had a
Suunto altimeter watch for about 8 yrs. now. Its altimeter is more sensitive
that the one in my plane (much better than the Casio version).

I had one occasion to put the altimeter watch to use. I was flying
through a class B when the controller questioned my altitude. His radar was
displaying an altitude 300 ft. lower than I was seeing on my altimeter. So
who was right, the altimeter or the transponder's encoder? The tiebreaker
was the altimeter watch. It assured me that the panel altimeter was correct
and the blind encoder was off.

That said, the altimeter watch is not really very practical. When the
Suunto finally dies, I'll be replacing it with a watch that will show zulu
time. Preferably an analog/digital combo, so you can see both timezones
without having to push any buttons. A friend of mine has a Timex Ironman
Triathalon that looks like it would fit the bill.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old November 17th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.piloting
Oz Lander[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

For those who may be in the market for a decent pilot watch, this
Timex Expedition is the best one I could find with all the features I
wanted, for a reasonable ($54) price.

Looks like a decent watch, but the price has gone up. (US$70 now)

--
Oz Lander.
Straight and Level Down Under Forum.
Old November 17th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Oz Lander" wrote in message ...
Jay Honeck wrote:

For those who may be in the market for a decent pilot watch, this
Timex Expedition is the best one I could find with all the features I
wanted, for a reasonable ($54) price.

Looks like a decent watch, but the price has gone up. (US$70 now)

--
Oz Lander.
Straight and Level Down Under Forum.
http://www.straightandleveldownunder.net

Someone must have heard a pilot wanted to buy one!

Old November 17th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in message

For the people who have flown, have any of you found a watch with any
special features that actually helped you in performing your piloting
tasks?

I had one occasion to put the altimeter watch to use. I was flying
through a class B when the controller questioned my altitude.

I will admit it. I have used my altimeter watch a few times when I had
"failed" the altimeter for a student. Other than that, I only use it to tell
time. I even find the timer function distracting while flying. If I need to
time a leg I just jot down the time and do the math.

I suppose a Zulu function would be useful.

Vaughn

Old November 17th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

I have a Casio Analog/Digital watch that I received as a Christmas
present that serves my purposes. The Analog and Digital parts are
separate - you have to set each one when the time changes.
It has a large, luminous dial, dual time zones, alarm and stopwatch.
It also has a large rotatable bezel marked in minutes and degrees.
What function the bezel serves (other than the minute markings) I have
no idea.

Would I recommend this watch for a pilot? Yes and No. It does provide
dual time zones and has a large luninous dial. Lots of other watches
do the same. As for other functions - I don't need
any. I have an inexpensive digital timer stuck on my instrument panel
with velcro. Other than time-of-day, it provides all the aviation
related timing functions I need (count up/down and stopwatch).

Bottom line: I'd say that any watch with dual time zones and easy-to-
read display will serve the purpose. Those with all the bells and
whistles are more of a status symbol than a useful tool.
Just my .02.

David Johnson

Old November 17th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Tom L.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:06:34 +0000 (UTC), "Oz Lander"
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

For those who may be in the market for a decent pilot watch, this
Timex Expedition is the best one I could find with all the features I
wanted, for a reasonable ($54) price.

Looks like a decent watch, but the price has gone up. (US$70 now)

Check he

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CBZ66K/...linkCod e=asn