Garmin Rino

Old May 2nd 04, 05:21 AM
Martin Hellman

Default Garmin Rino

With all the talk about anti-collision devices, I've been seriously
looking at the Garmin Rino family (110, 120 and 130). These have been
mentioned a few times on RAS, but no one reported any experience using
them. Anyone out there use them? If so, I'd be interested in hearing
your experience and which model you think makes the most sense and
why. (Given that I have a Garmin 196, I expect I'd go with the 110 to
save money, but maybe I'm missing something.)

I realize Rino's would only be useful if the other glider has one, but
that could have been the case in the recent midair since both gliders
flew out of the same strip. Either everyone flying there could be
encouraged to buy them ($150 for the 110) or the FBO could rent them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin
Old May 6th 04, 04:30 AM
Snead1

I have two Garmin Rinho 110's. I bought them to data link to ground. Air to
ground range seems to be about 15 miles. I have not tested air to air range.

The tracks will transfer to a lap top on the ground, but not in real time.(with
standard garmin software)

If anyone would like me to test anything specific let me know.

Bill Snead
Georgetown Texas
6W
Old May 6th 04, 04:45 AM
Eric Greenwell

Snead1 wrote:
I have two Garmin Rinho 110's. I bought them to data link to ground. Air to
ground range seems to be about 15 miles. I have not tested air to air range.

The tracks will transfer to a lap top on the ground, but not in real time.(with
standard garmin software)

If anyone would like me to test anything specific let me know.

What kind of data do you wish to link to the ground?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old May 6th 04, 01:29 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Snead1 wrote:

I have two Garmin Rinho 110's. I bought them to data link to ground. Air to
ground range seems to be about 15 miles. I have not tested air to air range.

The tracks will transfer to a lap top on the ground, but not in real time.(with
standard garmin software)

If anyone would like me to test anything specific let me know.

Is it legal to use them when they are transmitting air to air ? At least
in France, most frequencies used for ground to ground transmission are not
allowed to be used for air to air transmission.
Old May 7th 04, 12:49 AM
BTIZ

What kind of data do you wish to link to the ground?

--

Let's the CFIG know where his solo student is.

BT

Old May 7th 04, 02:34 AM
Vaughn

"Robert Ehrlich" wrote in message
Snead1 wrote:

I have two Garmin Rinho 110's. I bought them to data link to ground. Air

ground range seems to be about 15 miles. I have not tested air to air

range.

The tracks will transfer to a lap top on the ground, but not in real

time.(with
standard garmin software)

If anyone would like me to test anything specific let me know.

Is it legal to use them when they are transmitting air to air ? At least
in France, most frequencies used for ground to ground transmission are not
allowed to be used for air to air transmission.

It is legal in the US unless there is a specific prohibition in the FCC
regulations for that particular radio service. I believe the Rinho uses the
unlicensed PCS frequencies which (since they are unlicensed) are virtually
ungovernable. Even if it were illegal, the FCC field offices are few and
undermanned and have far more pressing matters to attend to.

Vaughn

Old May 7th 04, 03:43 AM
Marc Ramsey

Vaughn wrote:
It is legal in the US unless there is a specific prohibition in the FCC
regulations for that particular radio service. I believe the Rinho uses the
unlicensed PCS frequencies which (since they are unlicensed) are virtually
ungovernable. Even if it were illegal, the FCC field offices are few and
undermanned and have far more pressing matters to attend to.

FYI, unlicensed does not mean unregulated. The Garmin Rino actually
uses the unlicensed FRS (Family Radio Service) frequencies, which are
designated in the applicable CFRs for voice services only, data
transmissions are explicitly prohibited. Garmin had to obtain a waiver
from the FCC to manufacture a device with data transmission capabilities
in this frequency range. Among other things, the FCC placed
restrictions on the type and repetition rate of position reports. This
waiver only applies to Garmin, anyone else attempting to manufacture a
similar device would have to negotiate another waiver...

Marc
Old May 7th 04, 09:38 AM
Andrew Henderson

Seems like an excellent idea. If they could be made
to auto transmit position,say every 20 seconds, great!
Especially as you are only seeing whats in your area.
Great for pair flying and lead and follow.
Come on someone, have you tried this in the air?

Wish they were legal in the UK

Andy

Old May 7th 04, 11:23 AM
Vaughn

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
m...
Vaughn wrote:
It is legal in the US unless there is a specific prohibition in the FCC
regulations for that particular radio service. I believe the Rinho uses the
unlicensed PCS frequencies which (since they are unlicensed) are virtually
ungovernable. Even if it were illegal, the FCC field offices are few and
undermanned and have far more pressing matters to attend to.

FYI, unlicensed does not mean unregulated.

As a practical matter, at the user (not mfg.) level, the FRS is
unregulated. Just look at CB for an example. Hell, there are dozens of clearly
illegal pirate stations on the FM band here in Florida that are trivial to find,
yet some stay on the air for years at a time. The FCC is a very thin
organization.

The Garmin Rino actually
uses the unlicensed FRS (Family Radio Service) frequencies,

Yes, I ment to say FRS but somehow PCS slipped out of my keyboard.

which are
designated in the applicable CFRs for voice services only, data
transmissions are explicitly prohibited. Garmin had to obtain a waiver
from the FCC to manufacture a device with data transmission capabilities
in this frequency range. Among other things, the FCC placed
restrictions on the type and repetition rate of position reports. This
waiver only applies to Garmin, anyone else attempting to manufacture a
similar device would have to negotiate another waiver...

I didn't know that...thanks.

Vaughn

Marc

Old May 7th 04, 06:32 PM
Marc Ramsey

Andrew Henderson wrote:
Seems like an excellent idea. If they could be made
to auto transmit position,say every 20 seconds, great!
Especially as you are only seeing whats in your area.
Great for pair flying and lead and follow.
Come on someone, have you tried this in the air?

The Rino can't be set to auto transmit every 20 seconds, as apparently
one of the FCC waiver restrictions was that position would only be
transmitted, once, each time the push-to-talk switch is pressed, or when
a manually entered location query is received from another unit.

Marc