Student Pilot Gets Five Months In Prison

Old March 3rd 05, 10:25 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

jls wrote:

"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote in message

Jughugs wrote:

"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote in message

No, you are. A history of drug abuse is an indicator of future
behaviour.

This is blatent bull****... you've eaten way too many government MRE's

That's your opinion. Since you can't debate without being abusive this
discussion is closed.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Ah, but Dan

snip

If I read what you wrote correctly you feel questions about of criminal
behaviour don't belong in a medical exam. I say they do for the simple
reason they are evaluating you physically and mentally. When you start
going to see a shrink or counselor that is one thing that will come up
when you fill out your initial paperwork. It is important to know when
evaluating the patient.

While I don't agree with some of the logic used in FAA medical
determinations I do fully understand that if you want to fly, and the
agency that will allow you to do that has deemed certain questions must
be asked you have to honestly answer the questions. If it weeds out a
few nut cases then it serves the purpose. Let's face it, it's the only
game in town.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old March 3rd 05, 10:44 PM
Jughugs

"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote in message
That's your opinion. Since you can't debate without being abusive this
discussion is closed.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Oh relax you old codger... if you would have went Marines you might have a
tougher hide.

Let's say you catch one of your grandchildren burning ants with a magifying
glass... does that mean that they are going to grow up abusing animals or
worse yet... a Serial Killer!?!?! Of course not.

Old March 3rd 05, 11:20 PM
Montblack

("Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote)
If I read what you wrote correctly you feel questions about of criminal
behaviour don't belong in a medical exam. I say they do for the simple
reason they are evaluating you physically and mentally. When you start
going to see a shrink or counselor that is one thing that will come up
when you fill out your initial paperwork. It is important to know when
evaluating the patient.

How much debt are you carrying? Stressed about it?

....just give us your financials and we'll determine things we need to
determine based on your financials.

Montblack

Old March 3rd 05, 11:25 PM
Montblack

("Jughugs" wrote)
Let's say you catch one of your grandchildren burning ants with a
magifying
glass... does that mean that they are going to grow up abusing animals or
worse yet... a Serial Killer!?!?! Of course not.

Was she pulling the little ant's legs off first?

Montblack

Old March 3rd 05, 11:37 PM
jls

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Jughugs" wrote)
Let's say you catch one of your grandchildren burning ants with a
magifying
glass... does that mean that they are going to grow up abusing animals

or
worse yet... a Serial Killer!?!?! Of course not.

Was she pulling the little ant's legs off first?

Montblack

What an endorphen release! Best laugh I had in a while. Does that make
me a user?

Old March 4th 05, 12:16 AM
Dude

If it weeds out a
few nut cases then it serves the purpose. Let's face it, it's the only
game in town.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

As an extremely honest person who has never used an illegal drug and has
served in the military I would like to disagree.

Undoubtedly, if we kept former military members from flying, we would "weed
out a few nut cases". If this is your standard for good law, you need to
stop voting.

Okay, I think its worthwhile to make a check of criminal records for people
who want a PPL. I also think it makes sense that we ask on some form
somewhere. I think the Medical is not likely the best place, but it was
expedient to use so I understand it.

Old March 4th 05, 12:24 AM
Matt Whiting

Jughugs wrote:
"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote in message

No, you are. A history of drug abuse is an indicator of future
behaviour.

This is blatent bull****... you've eaten way too many government MRE's

No, that is pretty well known. It is very hard for drug abusers to
quit, whether the drug is nicotine, alcohol or something else.

Past users are very much more likely to be future users.

Matt
Old March 4th 05, 01:07 AM
Jughugs

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
No, that is pretty well known. It is very hard for drug abusers to
quit, whether the drug is nicotine, alcohol or something else.

Past users are very much more likely to be future users.

Matt

Ok... well let's take your example then.. which is... apples and oranges*.
Should we NOT allow folks who consume nicotine and alcohol to fly? I'm sure
that would desimate over half of the ATP population for sure.

*An ILLEGAL drug user is more likely to quit and stay that way than one of
the LEGAL drug consumers.

Old March 4th 05, 02:12 AM
ET

" jls" wrote in
:

Ah, but Dannie, they can prosecute you for lying about a lot of other
little sins you may have committed and not fessed up to on that airman
medical form:

much snippage

Another good reason that I'll likely be a Sport Pilot instead of a PPL...

No medical, no intrusion!

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old March 4th 05, 02:55 AM
Roger

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:41:24 -0600, "Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired"
wrote:

AINut wrote:

Ron Natalie wrote:

AINut wrote:

He might have the same thoughts that I have:
1) It's none of the FAA's business what crimes you may or may not
have committed -- if you already done your time, you've paid your dues.

The FAA medical process is exceptionally intrusive into your private
affairs in the supposed name of flight safety. Frankly, there's no
"privacy issue" here anyhow. Criminal records are public knowledge.

2) the FAA has no NEED of old info that is completely irrelevant to
earning a license.

The FAA does not consider of history of drug issues to be irrelevant.

Obviously. But they are wrong.

No, you are. A history of drug abuse is an indicator of future
behaviour. The FAA does have the right and obligation to keep druggies
from flying.

They are considered character traits and unless the individual can
show a long history of change since the abuse (drugs and/or alcohol)
they are still considered traits.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired