Old sayings

Old November 10th 05, 12:32 AM
Greasy Rider @ invalid.com

Default Old sayings

Been around before, I hope it's worth a repeat.

Courage is doing what you are afraid to do. There can be no courage
unless you are scared. Eddie Rickenbacker

I would never fly an airplane that had as many emergencies as you guys
practice for. - Jay Beasley

Keep the aeroplane in such an attitude that the air pressure is
directly in the pilot's face. - Horatio C. Barber, 1916

I hope you either take up parachute jumping or stay out of
single-motored airplanes at night. - Charles A. Lindbergh, to Wiley
Post, 1931

Never fly the 'A' model of anything. - Ed Thompson

Never fly anything that doesn't have the paint worn off the Rudder
pedals. - Harry Bill

Instrument flying is when your mind gets a grip on the fact that there
is vision beyond sight. - U.S. Navy 'Approach' magazine circa W.W.II.

It occurred to me that if I did not handle the crash correctly, there
would be no survivors. Richard Leakey, after engine failure in a
single engine aircraft. Nairobi, Africa, 1993.

If an airplane is still in one piece, don't cheat on it. Ride the
******* down. - Ernest K. Gann,

The emergencies you train for almost never happen. It's the one you
can't train for that kills you. Ernest K. Gann, advice from the 'old
pelican'

An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good
one - Len Morgan

To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the
sky is home.

A DC-9 captain trainee attempting to check out on the "glass cockpit"
of an A-320. "Now I know what a dog feels like watching TV."

It only takes two things to fly -- airspeed and money.

It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind
and head into the ground.

A copilot is a knot-head until he spots opposite direction traffic at
12 o'clock, after which he's a goof-off for not seeing it sooner.

I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Unknown landing signal officer to carrier pilot after his 6th
unsuccessful landing attempt: "You've got to land here son, this is
where the food is."

Old November 11th 05, 06:24 AM

And here are some not-so-old quotations:

http://www.strategypage.com/humor/ar..._200511723.asp

Old November 15th 05, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Not really pithy sayings, but definitely in the same vein of humor...

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ulti...;f=17;t=010961