Comair Pilot Error

Old September 1st 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default Comair Pilot Error

Ron Lee wrote:
Emily wrote:

Grumman-581 wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:19:56 -0500, Emily
wrote:
No, he deserves respect for being a human being.
LMAO !! So, Ted Bundy and bin Laden also deserve respect for being a
human being? Not that I'm comparing the pilot with these two, but I'm
just pointing out that you need to be careful when making blanket
statements like that...

They killed people on purpose.

The point is, you've got a lot of people with absolutely no clue what
happened wishing this guy was dead or in jail. How about we save the
judgment for when we actually know what happened...or until the NTSB
gives us their best guess?

Actually Emily we know for a fact what happened. They attempted a
take-off on a runway that was too short for their aircraft. You are
wanting something to tell you WHY they made such a deadly mistake.

And what's wrong with that? I figure out WHY things went wrong for a
living and don't judge until I know all the facts.
Old September 1st 06, 10:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

In article , rachelp2037
@yahoo.com says...
Ron Lee wrote:

wrote:
[...]

What would a good excuse be then ??? What would be acceptable?

--
Duncan
Old September 1st 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Dave Doe wrote:
In article , rachelp2037
@yahoo.com says...
Ron Lee wrote:

wrote:
[...]

It's not about excuses. I'm sorry if you don't understand that.
Old September 1st 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

wrote:
No, he deserves respect for being a human being.

LMAO !! So, Ted Bundy and bin Laden also deserve respect for being a
human being? Not that I'm comparing the pilot with these two, but I'm
just pointing out that you need to be careful when making blanket
statements like that...

And one should have a better grasp of what it is to be "human" (Aristotle's
definition comes to mind).

Old September 1st 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

Actually Emily we know for a fact what happened. They attempted a
take-off on a runway that was too short for their aircraft. You are
wanting something to tell you WHY they made such a deadly mistake.

And what's wrong with that? I figure out WHY things went wrong for a
living and don't judge until I know all the facts.

We already know WHAT the facts are (clue: they took off from the wrong
runway, which was wayyyyy to short for their purposes). You're hung up on
WHY they did it.

I hope you have a better grasp of the English language (not to mention
logic) in your work-a-day world.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old September 1st 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
Actually Emily we know for a fact what happened. They attempted a
take-off on a runway that was too short for their aircraft. You are
wanting something to tell you WHY they made such a deadly mistake.

And what's wrong with that? I figure out WHY things went wrong for a
living and don't judge until I know all the facts.

We already know WHAT the facts are (clue: they took off from the wrong
runway, which was wayyyyy to short for their purposes). You're hung up on
WHY they did it.

I hope you have a better grasp of the English language (not to mention
logic) in your work-a-day world.

Strangely enough I'm going to take up for Emily here. Sure we all know they
took off from way too short a runway and we all know that we shouldn't do
that. The only place we can hope to learn anything here is to find out WHY
they did it.

Old September 1st 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

We already know WHAT the facts are (clue: they took off from the wrong
runway, which was wayyyyy to short for their purposes). You're hung up on
WHY they did it.

Why is more important to preventing a repeat incident that what.
Old September 1st 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

And what's wrong with that? I figure out WHY things went wrong for a
living and don't judge until I know all the facts.

What would a good excuse be then ??? What would be acceptable?

"reason" and "excuse" are not the same.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old September 1st 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

[...]

Okay...I'll buy that. Thing is, Emily doesn't seem to even be getting at WHY
(as if it was a deliberate thing).

Let's get down to cases:

* Obviously, it was not deliberate.
* Obviously, it was not that they tried to take off from a runway far
removed from the one they INTENDED to.

All too often, we never do get to talk to the participants, so all we can do
is make a GAG.

(Has anyone mentioned a CVR being recovered???)

Old September 1st 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"john smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

We already know WHAT the facts are (clue: they took off from the wrong
runway, which was wayyyyy to short for their purposes). You're hung up on
WHY they did it.

Why is more important to preventing a repeat incident that what.

True; I was thinking of WHAT did they interpret incorrectly. _Why_ implies
intent, but it's doubtful we'll ever know. ITC, we have to infer from the
WHAT's, the WHY, but all we ever get is inferences.

YMMV