So what happens when 100LL is gone anyway?

Old July 19th 05, 03:39 PM

Default So what happens when 100LL is gone anyway?

ISTR there's only one company that still makes TEL (I think it's in the
UK?) When they decide the cost isn't worth it, what then? Sure, the
lower HP Lyc's and Cont's can probably run mogas without issue, but the
higher HP turbo'd engines won't be so happy without lead. The FADEC mod
being developed by Aerosance might be a solution for some engines by
computerized ignition retarding, but that's not a cheap fix. Anyone
read anything more about the coming end of avgas?

Old July 19th 05, 03:50 PM
Dudley Henriques

wrote in message
oups.com...
ISTR there's only one company that still makes TEL (I think it's in the
UK?) When they decide the cost isn't worth it, what then? Sure, the
lower HP Lyc's and Cont's can probably run mogas without issue, but the
higher HP turbo'd engines won't be so happy without lead. The FADEC mod
being developed by Aerosance might be a solution for some engines by
computerized ignition retarding, but that's not a cheap fix. Anyone
read anything more about the coming end of avgas?

Don't know about the small airplane folks, but the warbird guys are going
to be mad as hell. We have the power back on a P51 now to 45 inches on
takeoff because of the fuel restriction. Any lower and the damn airplane
will be taking off at cruise power!! :-)
Dudley henriques

Old July 19th 05, 04:17 PM

Interesting.. a month or so ago at the Corsairs over Connecticut
weekend at Sikorsky Airport I spoke to the owner of one of the F4Us
about just that. With 115/130 being long gone they're limited to 50in
on takeoff to keep the engine from making bad sounds.

Old July 21st 05, 12:16 AM
Morgans

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote

Don't know about the small airplane folks, but the warbird guys are going
to be mad as hell. We have the power back on a P51 now to 45 inches on
takeoff because of the fuel restriction. Any lower and the damn airplane
will be taking off at cruise power!! :-)

What about racing gas that NASCAR guys use? It would take special
arrangements to get it, but I think it is well over 100 octane.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 21st 05, 02:26 AM
Dudley Henriques

Good point!! Not sure exactly what the mix is for NASCAR, but one thing's
for sure......it's flammable :-)))
Dudley

Old July 21st 05, 02:41 AM
Morgans

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
nk.net...
Good point!! Not sure exactly what the mix is for NASCAR, but one thing's
for sure......it's flammable :-)))

I think it is around 115 octane. Anyone out there know for sure?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 21st 05, 04:26 AM
CryptWolf

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
nk.net...
Good point!! Not sure exactly what the mix is for NASCAR, but one

thing's
for sure......it's flammable :-)))

I think it is around 115 octane. Anyone out there know for sure?

A quick google search turned up this:
http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.com/RacingFuel.html

I also remember some other racing fuels, but they didn't turn
up in a quick search.

To save you some page flipping I copied some of the numbers.

Sunoco racing fuels
Name, (R+M)/2, research, motor, color, price 54 gal drum
Standard, 110, 115, 105, purple, $281 (probably the old familiar Cam2)
Supreme, 112, 114, 110, blue, $335
Maximal, 116, 118, 114, red, $389
Max5, 116, 119, 113, lt red, $443
NOS, 117, 120, 113, lt red, $416
MO2X, 112, 115, 109, green, $424
MX114, 114, 118, 110, yellow, $???
unleaded
GT, 100, 105, 95, clear, $308
GT+, 104, 109, 99, lt blue, $314

Now, do you want to put the purple stuff in the airplane at $5.20 a gallon?
What about $7.70 a gallon for the NOS?

I also wonder what might happen if you mixed the cheaper 100LL
with the unleaded GT or GT+. Does the diluted lead content give
you an octane boost and if it does, by how much?

I won't even start on what the chemical composition of racing fuels might
do to gaskets and seals etc. on an airplane engine.

Maybe more google searches are in order.

Old July 21st 05, 04:55 AM
Big John

Dudley

It's Nitro with a spot of Alky )

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:26:02 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"

Old July 21st 05, 05:51 AM
Morgans

"Big John" wrote in message
Dudley

It's Nitro with a spot of Alky )

Big John

Nascar gas? I don't think so. Straight petrol, I believe.

If someone can prove me wrong, go to it. I was wrong once last year, I
think! g
--
Jim in NC

Nothing like a cold splash of 100LL in the face to wake up a pilot Peter R. Piloting 20 October 1st 04 11:25 PM
Future of 100LL? Michael Owning 0 August 2nd 04 09:29 AM
Future of 100LL? Michael Piloting 0 August 2nd 04 09:29 AM
How blue is 100LL? Ben Jackson Piloting 26 May 1st 04 11:10 AM
When was the switch to 100LL? Roger Long Piloting 0 August 21st 03 11:01 AM