Takeoff/Landing same direction?

Old September 12th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Takeoff/Landing same direction?

kirk.stant wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote:
I gotta know - how long do you have to fly that day before you are
allowed to land in the opposite direction from your takeoff? It's hard
to imagine anyone becoming a glider pilot without landing in the
opposite direction a few times shortly after takeoff. Perhaps too many
adult beverages preceded the discussion, or is it still reaallly hot out
there in Arizona and some pilots hats aren't big enough?

Erik,

I think we have our conversations garbled, but anyway - When I was
flying out of Turf, we usually took off on 23 due to prevailing winds.
If returning late in the day, landing on 23 could be challenging due to
looking directly into the setting sun, through dust, etc and it was
common to land on 5 (or even 14, which was a better runway anyway).

I was just curious if the folks that supported the landing and takeoff
in the same direction had thought about how long this "rule" was good
for! I suspect it might be 10 minutes, say, rather than at the end of a
long flight. A fun argument, I bet, and funner with each adult beverage
that leaves the cooler. I wish I'd been there - at least some flying
went on.

--
Note: email address new as of 9/4/2006

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old September 12th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Eric Greenwell wrote:
I was just curious if the folks that supported the landing and takeoff
in the same direction had thought about how long this "rule" was good
for! I suspect it might be 10 minutes, say, rather than at the end of a
long flight. A fun argument, I bet, and funner with each adult beverage
that leaves the cooler. I wish I'd been there - at least some flying
went on.

Oh, I got it now. Yeah, it was a fun discussion at the clubhouse - we
were having a cookout so there was adult beverage consumption going on!

Actually the flying that day was pretty good, lots of Cu's and some
nice cloudstreets. We've got a couple of flights posted on OLC for
that day - I managed to beat my buddies back in AZ which is a bit
amazing!

66

Old September 13th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Slick

Sounds like a DPE needed a failure to make his 80% pass rate for the month.
"Willie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here is a question for you DPE's and Instructors to weigh in on.

A student pilot on his checkride, was not passed for his private for
the following reason. He landed in the opposite direction that he took
off from.

A little background, the entire days operation was operating from
runway 18. His two previous flights
with this DPE went without a hitch. On the third flight as the student
was entering the pattern, the DPE instructed the student to cross the
IP and as he did so he instructed the student to open the dive brakes
(SGS-233) fully and then announced to the student "Stuck Spoilers".

The student at this point made the decision to enter the pattern for
runway 36. He told us later that it was because he was already going in
that direction as he entered the IP and losing altitude fast and didn't
feel he had enough altitude to make a 180 and enter the pattern in the
opposite direction.

He felt that the stuck spoilers created an extraordinary situation and
therefore a downwind landing was the safer option.

This was followed by much discussion concerning whether he violated any
rules.

So, here is the question for you knowledable fellows.
Is there anything in the Private Pilot flight test or in the FAR's that
this pilot violated, or was this a justifiable reason for the DPE to
fail this student?
_____________

As an aside and much to everyone at the field's amusement, about 20
minutes later this DPE then proceeded to taxi his personal aircraft out
and take off "downwind" the same direction he just busted the student
for.

Willie G.

Old September 13th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COLIN LAMB

When I took my PPL checkride, the DPE wanted me to fly into some limited
visibility stuff. It seemed to be better than minimums, but I had never
flown to the airport and was not comfortable with the limited visibility. I
figured it was part of the test to see if I would push the envelope. I told
the DPE that I was not going there because it was pushing my limits.

He then proceeded to tell me that this was well within the limits and I was
too safe. I will never forget those words.

The next weekend he was flying a charter into Cranbrook, BC and misread an
approach plate during bad weather. He hit a mountain and killed himself and
3 passengers.

Colin