How do I ship a glider from CA to TN?

Old February 15th 12, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guy

Default How do I ship a glider from CA to TN?

I would suggest calling Soaring NV in Minden and Williams Soaring in
California.
There are usually people willing to tow the trailer anywhere for a
fee.
I had a glider towed from Arizona to California by a private person
and we just had a glider towed from the east coast to California by a
private person.
Guy
Old February 15th 12, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Feb 14, 12:33*pm, Scott Alexander
wrote:
Suppose I wanted to ship a glider from California to Tennessee. *How
would I do that? *Anyone done this before?

I have searched the forum regarding this, but only finding shipping
info to/from internationally.

Thanks!

Scott,

Call a local trucking company and ship on a truck flatbed or
enclosed.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 15th 12, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

On Feb 14, 10:34*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 2/14/2012 12:57 PM, Hagbard Celine wrote:

A friend of mine had a glider shipped from the East coast to
Washington state by rail and the managed to do some significant damage
to it. They must hav dropped the trailer while loading or unloading it
from the rail car.

I spoke to a couple of people at the SSA convention who strongly advised
against rail transport in the US for gliders in trailers. Apparently,
the cars crashing together when switched from one train and re-coupled
onto another train is too forceful for most trailers, and the gliders
are damaged.

email me)

Eric,

I had a project that for one day put me in a rail "Hump Yard". No,
not that kind of hump yard, unfortunately. A hump yard is sort of a
marshalling yard with a slight hill where a locomotive pushes cars up
to the crest. The cars are uncoupled and allowed to roll, via the
help of gravity, down the gentle slope and they are directed by many
switches in the tracks to the right spot as a new "train" is built.
Fascinating to watch. At least for a while.

While the rail cars are rolling very slowly, there is a tremendous
mass moving which has a lot of energy. When the moving car hits a
parked rail car, there's a lot of energy expended. WHAM! Even at a
slow walking speed, it's amazing how much of a "WHAM" that is
produced. There were many rail cars carrying new automobiles and many
times, when the rail cars "collided", the automotive alarms were set
off.

Some of the rail cars were the open top gondolas carrying scrap
metal. Some of the metal bits were big and heavy chunks of steel that
would "leave a mark" if one hit you. And lots of the parts were
strewn around the tracks, no doubt ejected when a rolling car
connected to a stopped car. You don't want to be close to the cars
when they are getting ready to slam into stopped cars.

Interesting is that the slowly rolling rail cars are very quiet.
That's one of the dangers of working there. Never stand with your
back facing the direction of where the cars are coming from. One can
be approaching, again at a slow walking speed, and you just don't hear
it. Eerie!
Old February 16th 12, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Free Flight 107[_2_]

Check with the Car Show guys, they do it all the time via low cost
Auto movers.
Old February 16th 12, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
YourNameHere

Uship
Truckee to Dallas 1,100$ several years ago.
Worked out very well.

Old February 16th 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

On 2-16-2012 14:06, YourNameHere wrote:
Uship
Truckee to Dallas 1,100$ several years ago.
Worked out very well.

On 2/14/2012 2:33 PM, Scott Alexander wrote:
Suppose I wanted to ship a glider from California to Tennessee. How
would I do that? Anyone done this before?

I have searched the forum regarding this, but only finding shipping
info to/from internationally.

Thanks!

I suppose you can't fly it there...

Powered plane 1, glider 0.