Plane-crashes because of collision with bees ???

Old February 10th 05, 01:38 AM
Al Gilson

Seems like a good argument for the mesh I've seen in some plane's vent
inlets.

-Malcolm Teas

- - -
That's why we have placed one of those little orange dish scrubber mesh
"thingies" in the air vent tube of our 172. It keeps the wasps from
getting into the vent system when they are looking for a home. -or- from
a flying bee/wasp to enter as we taxi down to the runway.
- - -
Al
1964 Skyhawk
Spokane, WA

--
Al Gilson
Spokane, WA USA
Old February 10th 05, 02:05 AM
George Patterson

" wrote:

And did the instructor hang around to taxi the plane?

What instructor?

George Patterson
He who would distinguish what is true from what is false must have an
adequate understanding of truth and falsehood.
Old February 10th 05, 02:49 AM
Morgans

"George Patterson" wrote

What instructor?

George Patterson

ROTFLMAO!

Flying solo, eh? Took me a minute, but I got it!
--
Jim in NC

Old February 11th 05, 04:00 AM
Roger

On 9 Feb 2005 11:08:41 -0800, "
wrote:

Dan Simper wrote:
I heard that a collision between a plane and a bee can be

devastating.

Is that true ?

I have a hard time imagining a common scenario where this could
happen. A bee hitting an airplane will usually just go Splat!

A few years ago I had the misfortune of riding my motorcycle through
a swarm of large bumble bees at 85 mph. The impacts were a little
painful, but certainly not dangerous. The worst part was having to

Never tangled with a Bald Faced Hornet, I take it. It's like being
hit with a hammer and that's when you are standing still. :-))

They are about twice the size of a bumblebee, with a white head that
reminds me of a skull. Just about as hard too.

But... bringing down an airplane. Inside, I can understand, but
structurally?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

spend about 15 min. digging fried bee goo out of the cooling fins on my
cylinders.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old February 12th 05, 12:31 AM
Some Guy

"Dan Simper" wrote in message
om...
I heard that a collision between a plane and a bee can be devastating.

Is that true ?

E = MC(sq)

energy involved is a function of the mass of the bodies times the square of
the closing velocity. with nearly zero mass compared to the aircraft, it
would be hard to imagine a bee doing any serious damage to an aircraft

Old February 12th 05, 12:46 AM
Paul Wheelock

"Some Guy" wrote in message
news

"Dan Simper" wrote in message
om...
I heard that a collision between a plane and a bee can be devastating.

Is that true ?

E = MC(sq)

energy involved is a function of the mass of the bodies times the square
of
the closing velocity. with nearly zero mass compared to the aircraft, it
would be hard to imagine a bee doing any serious damage to an aircraft

If the bee was going the speed of light, it might cause some damage.

Old February 12th 05, 01:54 AM
Rich Lemert

Some Guy wrote:

"Dan Simper" wrote in message
om...

I heard that a collision between a plane and a bee can be devastating.

Is that true ?

E = MC(sq)

energy involved is a function of the mass of the bodies times the square of
the closing velocity. with nearly zero mass compared to the aircraft, it
would be hard to imagine a bee doing any serious damage to an aircraft

Your explanation is correct, but the equation you provide is
Einstein's equation giving the equivalence between mass and energy -
it's valid even if the objects are at rest.

What you want is the equation for kinetic energy of a moving object,
K.E. = (1/2)m v(squared).

Rich Lemert

Old February 12th 05, 04:07 PM
Some Guy

"Paul Wheelock" wrote in message

If the bee was going the speed of light, it might cause some damage.

Or if the plane were travelling at the speed of light...... equally as
likely.

Old February 13th 05, 07:37 PM
darthpup

Maybe the original poster was thinking of a B17 or B29????.....