Exhibition/Racing Airworthiness Certificate Question

Old June 22nd 04, 03:33 AM
bsquared

Default Exhibition/Racing Airworthiness Certificate Question

An excerpt from the Operating Limitations for the Exhibition and Air Racing
Airworthiness Certificate for my Experimental glider has the following
wording:

31. All proficiency/practice flights must be conducted within the
geographical area described in the applicant's program letter and any
amendments to that letter, but no portion of that area will be more than 300
nautical miles from the aircraft's home base airport. An exception is
permitted for proficiency flying outside of the area stated above for
organized formation flying, training, or pilot checkout in conjunction with
a specific event listed in the applicant's program letter (or amendments).
The program letter should indicate the location and dates for this
proficiency flying.

35. Proficiency flights are authorized without geographical restrictions
when conducted in preparation for participation in sanctioned meets and
pursuant to qualify for Federal Aeronautique International (FAI) or Soaring
Society of America (SSA) awards. These flights may only take place as
defined in the applicant's program letter, and prior to the specific FAI or
SSA event. The pilot in command must submit a description of the intended
route and/or geographical area intended to be flown to the local FSDO.

If my home base airport was in Texas and I wanted to fly in, say, the Denver
area or at Minden, would it be "legal" to send in an amendment to my program
letter saying I was going to make a badge attempt and needed to practice
beforehand (referencing the SSA award exclusion in paragraph 35)?

If I already had a Silver or Gold badge, would I be allowed to practice for
a second one?

Has anyone in a similar situation figured out some good language or a
loophole that would allow me to fly outside my 300 mile limit?

Please limit your answers to "You're Screwed" or something constructive.

Old June 22nd 04, 05:14 AM
BTIZ

Ref: para 31. don't you need training at high altitude airports and how
to fly the mountain wave.. how to transition from thermal to wave.. etc..
Minden... but then again.. the specific event could be an advertised cross
country or mountain wave training camp

Para 35... FAI sanctioned awards... you have Gold... but do you have
Diamonds.. Goal.. Distance.. altitude.. and could not be done at "Texas"...
(not starting a war here.. just stating a reason to fly elsewhere). Put
down in next years "letter".. to the local FSDO... FAI Badge Attempts, and
list all the great soaring sites.. and list 1 Jan to 31 Dec for dates..
lets see.. Boulder CO., Minden, Turf, Estralla, Hobbs, Marfa.. Parowan..

may not work.. but it's just a thought

BT

nk.net...

Old June 22nd 04, 06:48 AM
tango4

Interesting, once you have all three diamonds and your 2000km are you
limited to the XCountry you can do because there are no more sanctioned
proficiency flights?

Ian

Old June 22nd 04, 06:49 AM
Judy Ruprecht

At 04:30 22 June 2004, Btiz wrote:
Ref: para 31. don't you need training at high altitude
airports and how
to fly the mountain wave.. how to transition from thermal
to wave.. etc..
Minden... but then again.. the specific event could
be an advertised cross
country or mountain wave training camp

Many/most FSDOs will take the aircraft owner's word
for the fact that a planned trip to Minden (or wherever)
is related to an SSA-sanctioned contest or badge endeavor.
(And with FAI Badges up to and including the 2,000K
Diplome, one is never without something to which one
might aspire...)

Para 35...(snip) Put down in next years 'letter'..
to the local FSDO... FAI Badge Attempts, and list all
the great soaring sites.. and list 1 Jan to 31 Dec
for dates..lets see.. Boulder CO., Minden, Turf, Estralla,
Hobbs, Marfa.. Parowan..

I doubt this (uhm... obvious?) ploy would work. But
if your Operating limitations also include the following
provision, a fax machine allows you to update your
program letter as needed:

'(35) The owner/operator of this aircraft must submit
an annual program letter update to the local FSDO that
lists air shows, fly-ins, etc., that will be attended
during the next year, commencing at the time this aircraft
is released into Phase II operation. This list of events
may be amended, as applicable, by letter or facsimile
transmission to the FSDO prior to the intended operation
amendments, and a copy of the highlighted
aeronautical chart, when applicable, is carried aboard
this aircraft and is available to the pilot.
(Applicability: All)'

(This is an excerpt from FAA Order 8130.2D, Section
8, paragraph 142, pertaining to Experimental airworthiness
certification for Exhibition & Air Racing.)

Judy

Old June 22nd 04, 04:17 PM
Herbert Kilian

"bsquared" wrote in message ink.net...
If my home base airport was in Texas and I wanted to fly in, say, the Denver
area or at Minden, would it be "legal" to send in an amendment to my program
letter saying I was going to make a badge attempt and needed to practice
beforehand (referencing the SSA award exclusion in paragraph 35)?

If I already had a Silver or Gold badge, would I be allowed to practice for
a second one?

Has anyone in a similar situation figured out some good language or a
loophole that would allow me to fly outside my 300 mile limit?

Here is the key language in my annual "Program Letter" to the local
FSDO that covers this situation:

I request this glider to be kept certified for the experimental
purposes of ‘Exhibition and Air Racing', Group I.

1. The Base of Operation is at the Windy City Glider Club site near
Hinckley, IL
2. The previously granted flight restrictions shall be upheld and
continued.
3. Proficiency flights shall be permitted within an operational radius
of 300 nautical miles from the above airport.
4. According to FAA Order 8130.2D "Airworthiness Certification of
Aircraft and Related Products" Section 8-142-33, proficiency flights
are also authorized outside the above area under certain restrictions.
This applies specifically to gliders and in conjunction with
sanctioned meets and races organized by the ‘Soaring Society of
America' or the FAI. The following is a listing of the places and
dates I intend to fly the above glider in the year 2004. The
geographical area of flight operations will be within a 150 NM radius
around the location given. Due to the nature of soaring flight and
racing tasks called, intended routes cannot be specified.
This has worked without objection from the FSDOs here in IL and
earlier in NC.

Herb, J7
Old June 22nd 04, 06:24 PM
Herbert Kilian

"bsquared" wrote in message ink.net...
An excerpt from the Operating Limitations for the Exhibition and Air Racing
Airworthiness Certificate for my Experimental glider has the following
wording:

If my home base airport was in Texas and I wanted to fly in, say, the Denver
area or at Minden, would it be "legal" to send in an amendment to my program
letter saying I was going to make a badge attempt and needed to practice
beforehand (referencing the SSA award exclusion in paragraph 35)?

If I already had a Silver or Gold badge, would I be allowed to practice for
a second one?

Has anyone in a similar situation figured out some good language or a
loophole that would allow me to fly outside my 300 mile limit?

In my earlier post I did not paste the part of my "Program Letter"
that pertains to the above, here it is:

[...]

What follows is a table with the locations and dates of every event in
2004 that I even remotely consider to participate in.
Neither the DuPage IL nor the Greensboro NC FSDOs that I sent this
type of letter to objected to my request.

Herb, J7