Badges ? ... We don't need no stinkin' badges

Old September 15th 05, 03:50 PM
ContestID67

Give that man a free $100 tow.

With Humphrey Bogart. Great dark movie about human greed.

- John

Old September 15th 05, 05:22 PM
Northlondon

and there was me thinking it was a reference to UHF (weird Al Jankovic)

Raul to television audience: "Today we're teaching poodles to fly."
Raul to delivery man with truckload of badgers: "Badgers!? We don't need no
steenking badgers!"

um..I guess you have to hear that in context.

Old September 16th 05, 12:03 AM
Tony Verhulst

ContestID67 wrote:
Quick - where did the line "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
come from?

Mel Brooks "Blazing Saddles"

Tony V.
Old September 16th 05, 01:21 AM
Mike the Strike

First known usage:

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

Gold Hat (Mexican): "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no
badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

Mike

Old September 16th 05, 03:41 AM
Doug Snyder

Ok, I didn't get the quote quite right. I was going for the Treasure of
the Sierra Madre allusion.

The question remains, is cheating in badge flights so rampant as to
justify the cost difference between secure and non secure igc files? I
mean really, in a land of conspiracy theories, I could always get
someone else to do the flying for me.

The truth is, I would like to have that Gilligan's Island hat with the
the pins. I guess I'll wait until I can borrow a logger (a real
possibility) or until I buy a logger for contest purposes.

In the meantime, I'll have fun flying. I hope everyone else does too.
It was never my intention to denigrate badge flying or those who pursue
badges.

Doug

Old September 16th 05, 04:18 AM
ttaylor at cc.usu.edu

Doug,

The answer is no. There is no reason why for most country specific
badges a GPS trace is not good enough. We should allow that for all
flights up to gaining the gold badge. We need to lower the cost and
encourage badge flying. It builds skills and discipline that make
better cross-country pilots. We have let the paranoid take over again.
If someone wants to cheat on a badge that is their problem. No one
but ourselves care about what we did to earn the badge.

I have old cameras you can have if you want them and I have an EW-D
logger you can barrow if you would like to try some badge flights. All
you need is a Garmin GPS to feed a signal to it.

I just got news today that my diamond badge was approved. Only took 14
years to get that pesky altitude gain knocked off. And yes, it was
worth the trouble to get it.

Tim

Old September 16th 05, 05:18 AM
Eric Greenwell

Doug Snyder wrote:
Ok, I didn't get the quote quite right. I was going for the Treasure of
the Sierra Madre allusion.

The question remains, is cheating in badge flights so rampant as to
justify the cost difference between secure and non secure igc files? I
mean really, in a land of conspiracy theories, I could always get
someone else to do the flying for me.

The truth is, I would like to have that Gilligan's Island hat with the
the pins. I guess I'll wait until I can borrow a logger (a real
possibility) or until I buy a logger for contest purposes.

Cameras and mechanical barographs are quite suitable for badge flights.
You can buy a usable 35 mm cameras in any thrift store for a dollar or
so, then you just have to find an "old timer" with a barograph to loan
you. You may know a person like that already, and he might be a good
choice for an official observer. Since he owns one, he probably knows
the procedures for badges using cameras and barographs.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old September 16th 05, 09:44 AM
Jancsika

ttaylor at cc.usu.edu wrote:

I have old cameras you can have if you want them and I have an EW-D
logger you can barrow if you would like to try some badge flights. All
you need is a Garmin GPS to feed a signal to it.

Or any other cheap mouse type GPS. The final igc file will be fine
This badge&cheap GPS issue come up year by year. Few enthusiastic
pilot joined and created COTS proposal to IGC but nothing has changed so
far

/Janos
Old September 16th 05, 09:52 AM
Jancsika

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Cameras and mechanical barographs are quite suitable for badge flights.
You can buy a usable 35 mm cameras in any thrift store for a dollar or
so, then you just have to find an "old timer" with a barograph to loan
you. You may know a person like that already, and he might be a good
choice for an official observer. Since he owns one, he probably knows
the procedures for badges using cameras and barographs.

Yes, but there is hugh disadvantage. While I just fly over the
turnpont and turn after the beep, the camera user has to fly well over
the turnpont - bank the glider - realize that it was not enough - go
a but further again - bank again - take one or two pictures. It's
valid for all turnpoints including start sector.
I already donated my 35mm camera to the club but noone use it...

/Jancsika
Old September 16th 05, 10:05 AM
Andrew Warbrick

Don't be misleading.

If someone tries to claim a badge using an EW and a
'mouse type GPS' it will be rejected. The IGC approval
of the EW barographs requires the use of a GPS off
an approved list. The approved list GPS's output a
proprietary NMEA sentence for selected map datum which
is recorded by the logger to stop people displacing
turnpoints by changing map datum in flight.

I'm not saying this is the way it should be, there
is an argument for COTS loggers, but this is the way
it is, you can't claim a badge with an EW and just
any old GPS.