Tire inflation with Nitrogen or ?

Old April 27th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Default Tire inflation with Nitrogen or ?

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
The geniuses at Rockwell designed the T-39 with bolt on wings. This
meant the 6 (3 per side) fuel quantity pip connectors were in the wheel
wells. Instead of using water proof connectors they used standard pip
connectors that had no seals. We had to periodically blow them out with
nitrogen and re-wrap them in F-4 tape. I will refrain from using the
language here that I used when working on those [expletive deleted]
airplanes.

As an aside I love those pip connectors. They used to be made by
Dage. I have no idea who makes 'em now. I sure would like to find out
since I need some.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I think the T-39 wing was basically a rehashed F-86 wing. The F-86 wing
we
took off and reinstalled (to gain access to the fuselage main tank) was a
real challenge to us green behind the ears greasemonkeys. We showed our
chief inspector the parts we had left over.......... After a "one-time"
flight
back home, he made us do it over, and not have any parts left over.
I served my time hammering on several F-4 models, but I just never
heard
of "F-4 tape", so I had to Google it up, and I'm not sure I ever used any on
F-4's
but I recognized the "Googled" description and think it was the stuff we
used
a lot around the T-38's at Edwards.
Old Chief Lynn

F-4 tape is the silicone tape that only adheres to itself. It comes
in red or black. It's been called that since at least the mid 1970s in
all the circles I was in including the years I was on F-4Es. I don't
recall the correct nomenclature.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old April 28th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lynn Coffelt

..
I served my time hammering on several F-4 models, but I just never
heard
of "F-4 tape", so I had to Google it up, and I'm not sure I ever used

any on
F-4's
but I recognized the "Googled" description and think it was the stuff we
used
a lot around the T-38's at Edwards.
Old Chief Lynn

F-4 tape is the silicone tape that only adheres to itself. It comes
in red or black. It's been called that since at least the mid 1970s in
all the circles I was in including the years I was on F-4Es. I don't
recall the correct nomenclature.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Mid 1970's? My gosh, Dan, you're just a kid! That's when I retired! F-4
tape name maybe came after I left the struggle!
Old Chief Lynn

Old April 29th 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
.
I served my time hammering on several F-4 models, but I just never
heard
of "F-4 tape", so I had to Google it up, and I'm not sure I ever used

any on
F-4's
but I recognized the "Googled" description and think it was the stuff we
used
a lot around the T-38's at Edwards.
Old Chief Lynn

F-4 tape is the silicone tape that only adheres to itself. It comes
in red or black. It's been called that since at least the mid 1970s in
all the circles I was in including the years I was on F-4Es. I don't
recall the correct nomenclature.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Mid 1970's? My gosh, Dan, you're just a kid! That's when I retired! F-4
tape name maybe came after I left the struggle!
Old Chief Lynn

I know I am not getting older, the GIs are getting younger When I
go out to the base the active duty types look unbelievably young. Then
again my father has a picture of me when I got out of the Army in 1973.
I look like a child in it which shocks me when I see it since I aged so
much in Viet Nam.

I had to retire when I used the terms "auto lean" and "recip" and no
one around me knew what I was talking about. Anyway, back in the brown
shoe days......

In actuality I am neither maturing nor aging, I am fermenting.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Filling with nitrogen scott moore Owning 21 December 8th 06 07:48 PM
Tire tread wear vs inflation pressure Ben Jackson Owning 22 October 6th 06 04:35 AM
FS: New 1-26 Tire Slick Soaring 0 April 20th 04 01:27 AM
172 Nosewheel Struts Leak Nitrogen jls Owning 4 April 9th 04 06:28 PM
Tire inflation pressure Paul Lee Home Built 80 November 19th 03 07:56 AM