Bush 'Plans Iran Air Strike by August'

Old June 6th 08, 12:08 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.army
JJS[_2_]

Default Bush 'Plans Iran Air Strike by August'

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 08:58:48 -0700,
(JJS)
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:52:00 -0700,
(JJS)
wrote:

SNIP

Well there's the problem. The large immigration of Chinese to Tibet
could be considered a threat by the local Tibetan population. They
might argue that the first pick goes to the Chinese or those Tibetans
loyal to the Chinese rather than the general population. At least that's
how it usually works in the rest of the world.

The real problem here is finding enough qualified Tibetans. Those
qualifed will have no problem finding employment. You still need at
least a high school equivalency to work in a white collar job. To a
Han Tibet is a hardship post. But if that's where the jobs are
they'll come, earn what they came to earn and then go east after a few
years. The jobs will always be available for qualified Tibetans.

As for manual jobs the Han immigrants are paid as poorly as Tibetans.
And there is a problem of language to manage a Tibetan work crew.

Hmmm, the Tibetan language being a problem in Tibet is a problem?
I fear that their culture is surely doomed.

Han and non Tibetans rarely if ever learn Tibetan. There is no money
in it. Outside the Buddhist tracts there is no great Tibetan
literature. Buddhism you can learn from other mainstream languages.
Tibetan culture has meaning only to Tibetans and to "good only for two
days" tourists. It is brutal and it is Darwinian. Tibetan culture as
a way of life is doomed. It will survive only as tourist curiosities
and in the occassional lost valley too remote for modern
infrastructure to reach.

In
any case these are dead end jobs. The only solution is for Tibetans
to acquire employable skills.

True.

But the Tibetans must also have
the attitude, aptitude and the ability to take advantage of these
opportunities.

I know this is where the "whether they want it or not" comes in.

To quit with barely a grade 6 education with no
(Chinese majority or foreign) language skills dooms one to making a
living off equally disadvantaged fellow Tibetans. (Being a monk
inures one to life's hardships but is quite useless for making a
living.)

I agree but when does it become someone else¹s choice (non-Tibetan)
that they change the way they live their life? I'm not saying
that the local population had a better life style before the
Chinese decided to improve things. I'm just wondering who gets to
decide what happens in Tibet.

Beijing of course. How many times do you have to be reminded of that.
If you have a viable alternative do let the world know. You will have
Tibetans and Beijing whispering your name in gratitude.

Depends on how you define ³viable alternative². With a government in
China as paranoid as it is about it¹s control of power I don¹t see a
viable alternative so the Tibetans are fated to be screwed by the
Chinese.

Do read the May National Geographic special issue on China. See the
vast deserts. See the poverty and backwardness in marginal farmlands.
Due to global climate change Tibet is drying up and farming and
herding can no longer sustain a livelihood. The world is changing and
their old style of life has disappeared forever whether they like it
or not. The question then is can they adapt to the new life that has
been forced upon them by nature.

I've never argued that their life isn't changing I've been asking
who gets to and who should decide how it changes. I think we agree
that it isn't the people of Tibet.

Once more with feeling. Beijing of course. How many times do you
have to be reminded of that. If you have a viable alternative do let
the world know. You will have Tibetans and Beijing whispering your
name in gratitude.

Once more but without as much feeling. Depends on how you define ³viable
alternative². With a government in China as paranoid as it is about
it¹s control of power I don¹t see a viable alternative so the
Tibetans are going to be screwed by the Chinese.

Now had Beijing left Tibet alone to muddle along with Tibetans left to
their own devices there would be a real outcry that Beijing was
practising genocide. Life would be very harsh for Tibetans and life
expectancy in the low 40s with live births in appalling low numbers.

So we are back to the "white man's burden" excuse again. Look
we both know that it doesn't matter what the life style of Tibet
is. This is all about power so why keep bringing up how good
this is for Tibet when is has nothing to do with helping Tibet.
Well I guess you could say that the Chinese are 'helping' themselves
to the resources of Tibet.

So Beijing muddles along too but on a higher economic plane until some
solution presents itself. At least the Tibetans aren't dying like
flies.

We don¹t know what would happen in Tibet if the Chinese left them alone.
The world is changing and they possibly on their own would change with
it. Slower but change none the less.

Turn to page 74-75 a double spread showing Tibetan youths and
government housing in the background built to house Tibetans displaced
by climate change. The caption suggests that the Tibetan youths are
visitors. Those Tibetans resettled in these new towns receive
government subsidies enough to get by on. But they are bored out of
their frigging minds because of lack of suitable employment. They are
pastoral people not urbanites. In this sheltered environment Tibetan
culture cannot thrive because it is out of context with their
traditional way of life. By the same context no amount of government
funding or support will keep alive Tibetan culture as a way of life.
Change is not an option. It is a relentless certainty.

Do take a look at the Tibetan youths again and compare them with the
Han in other pages. They look differerent enough that without my
dwelling on it you can see they will have a problem getting hired.

Is racism a problem in China?

NO. In the whole of China's long history no minority people had ever
posed a threat to a Han's livelihood. The minorities were always
poorer off for any Han to develop feelings of jealousy or insecurity.
Their numbers (the minority groups) were never large enough to impact
on any aspect of Chinese society. Fear and loathing for a non Han
therefore never arose. But tribal prejudice is alive and well between
Han provincials and dialect groups. But that's another story all
together.

Thanks for the info.

have deleted the rest of my rant as I have no alternative or
optimistic solutions for Tibetan problems in a fast changing world.
No amount of good intentions or pablum slogans on your part nor on the
Chinese side will solve anything.

Don't get me wrong they are living in a time of change that will
most likely turn their world upside down. I'm merely pointing
out that there isn't only one way for this change to take place. What
I see happening is a government that isn't concerned on what is best
for Tibet. But I don't see a practical solution to the situation. So
let's agree that the Tibetans are going to get screwed.

Joe

The New Town Settlements encapsulate all that is unhappy and
intractable with the Tibetan problem. Its pretty obvious that
building larger houses and giving them a bigger stipend will solve
nothing. It maye make the situation worse by removing all incentive
for them to make it in the modern world. Tibetans are not going to
get screwed. They are already screwed. They are screwed by pinning
their hopes on independence

The nerve of them having the gall to want independence.

(a non starter), on religion

Well I have to admit that I'm not into the religion thing.

and on the
return of the lama system. Their salvation is to develop an
economically viable way of life in modern society not regress to blind
hopes.

Oh I agree.

A full belly is the means to fulfill many hopes.

But not all hopes.

This is also the reason why the Dalai Lama does not want to return to
Tibet.

Okay you're starting to lose me here.

There's nothing he can do for he has neither the funds nor the
organization nor the solutions economic and cultural to meet their
needs.

Why not let him try?

While he stays outside and does his thing he gets treated like
a head of state and receives very generous funding from well meaning
donors and from governments wishing to destabilize China.

Only countries that wish to destabilize China? Sounds a bit
paranoid to me.

Thus every
time China agrees to talks, whenever these talks seem like moving
forward, the DL will say something undiplomatic to sabotage them.

I'm not sure what they consider "undiplomatic". He has stated that
He doesn't want independence from China but more local autonomy.
I know, I know that¹s wishful thinking on his part. Besides he has
a secret agenda bankrolled by countries that want to destabilize
China.

That's very acceptable to China for the DL remains outside China and
it doesn't cost China a single penny to keep the DL out. You guys are
being manipulated by the DL and you didn't recognize it.

Really. I'm being manipulated? Then perhaps you can tell me what
my position is concerning the Dalai Lama?

Joe
Old June 6th 08, 01:27 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.army
Billzz

Default Tibet: was Bush 'Plans Iran Air Strike by August'

"JJS" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,

wrote:

-stuff snipped-

That's very acceptable to China for the DL remains outside China and
it doesn't cost China a single penny to keep the DL out. You guys are
being manipulated by the DL and you didn't recognize it.

Really. I'm being manipulated? Then perhaps you can tell me what
my position is concerning the Dalai Lama?

Joe

I was just passing by, and have no horse in this race, but I do have an
interesting story. Years ago I was in the far east, and met a learned
person, (probably in an airport bar, so take everything I next say with a
dose of salt) and the subject got around to Tibet. He said that most people
do not know that Tibet was once a feudal serfdom, and had some practices
that were very close to slavery. The selection of the next Dalai Lama was
done by having the monks (lamas?) scour the countryside for the best and the
brightest amongst young males and then, with the agreement of the parents,
they would be taken back to Lhasa? and trained and examined, and the best
and the brightest would be the next Dalai Lama in waiting, and the others
were on standby. But the thing is that none of them went back. They were
essentially indentured servants. I don't remember everything, but he stated
that this is probably why there is no real revolution amongst the Tibetan
people, because they (maybe?) do not want the Dalai Lama system back. Of
course the Chinese government could be pounding them into the ground, but
with today's communication, and travelers, one thinks that one should hear
something.

As an aside, we have a friend who supports that brand of Buddhism, and so I
did meet with some saffron-robed Buddhist (priests?) who were from the Dalai
Lama's sect. They did a sand mandela (which is something to see) and sang
songs, and we saw slides of their monastery (which is now in India, and
looked very Spartan, indeed) and I thought that they were probably good
people, but they were definitely of a single culture - once in , never out.
Maybe it is the same as a monk in the Catholic church, but I don't know. I
know that my wife spent a hundred dollars for some blankets. Maybe someone
will be helped.

Anyway, I do not know if his story is true, or not, but it was interesting.
I don't care, one way or the other.

Old June 6th 08, 01:29 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.army
Dean A. Markley

John Boyle wrote:
Snipped to save electrons...

To ALL: You people are nuts to think another war, at this Time and with
the condition of out military without the draft, makes any sense! We do
NOT have the manpower to handle the alleged war, and without manpower
you can NOT do what is necessary! I am a Retired Army Sergeant with 21
yrs of service and One year in Vietnam, with a Bronze star to boot!

With all due respect, most wars do not make sense.

Dean
Old June 6th 08, 10:23 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.army
g lof2

On Jun 2, 4:30*am, Vince Brannigan wrote:
g lof2 wrote:
On Jun 1, 8:02 am, "Jeffrey Hamilton" wrote:
"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

. ..

On Sat, 31 May 2008 09:20:54 -0700, tankfixer
wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Fri, 30 May 2008 21:50:00 -0700, tankfixer
wrote:
YOu need to read the BS coming out of China now as they try to spin the
damage in the earthquake areas
--
If only Dubya could claim the same degree of disrepute after Katrina
he'd be grinning from ear to ear.
Glad you can admit the Chinese people are unhappy with how their
government is acting.
That is a good first step.
You really need to take remedial reading lessons.
You need to take reality lessons.
They [CNN] reported on and showed *parents* who had lost their only child in
the recent earthquakes. These people spoke of their children being told not
to *jump* in the classrooms, by their teachers. Evidently the teachers felt
the schools were of sub-standard construction and were not capable of
sustaining the forces of excited children jumping up and down. The gist of
the story was *the schools* fell down when other buildings remained
standing.
Corruption rules!

Sorry to disappoint you Jeff, but the shear number of build, not just
school, but apartment blocks and factories that colapsed * points to
incompents, not Corruption as the problem.

it proves no such thing

* As I told Vince, the

promble with codes and standards are that people assume that the
people creating them know what they are doing, and that build to those
standard is safe enough. But codes are rarely customize to specify
areas until after a disaster points out the shortcoming. (Have you
ever notices that the strictes firecode in the US is in Chicago.)
Therefore until the quake hit, the people build the school may have
truly thought they were building safe buildings.

you can easily have corruption at the "code making" level

Now I am not saying they might have been cases of corruption in
China's construction industries, but I doubt it was so great to cause
the amount of destruct seen hera.

It can if the corruption was at the code level.

Both kinds of corruption are common

Maybe, but never underestimate the power of human stupidity, far more
people have die due to honest mistakes, than deliberated misfeasance.
I take a crook that skates close too the edge over the honest man who
will drive you over out of ignorances.

I just wrote an ethics letter on the private funding of code officials
participation in the US code making process

We will have a whole conference on codes and some of these issues in
Edinburgh this fall

True corruption, or will it inculde 'conflicts of interest'? One real
issue we had decussed when I was doing my Masters (Yes I have a MsME)
was when does avoiding 'conflict of interest' begin to hurt other. One
example was one of my profressor was a expert in solar archieture, and
his research was back by some companies interested in windows and
insulation. His expertises would be invaluable to revising the
building codes about insulation requirment, but they never asked his
because of his sponcers.

Old June 6th 08, 04:19 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.army
Jeffrey Hamilton

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:52:04 -0400, "Jeffrey Hamilton"
wrote:

Listen "Who Flung Poo", we are talking about murderously criminal building
practices in _Communist China_!
Do try to keep on track.

Aw quit your carping and dry your crocodile tears. Do something
useful.

Gee *OneHungLow*, pointing out reality to you is carping?
Fascinating.
I am doing something useful.

cheers....Jeff

Old June 6th 08, 04:24 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.army
Jeffrey Hamilton

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:52:04 -0400, "Jeffrey Hamilton"
wrote:

If the Chinese people are really lucky, one day they will be able to watch
the likes of CNN and decide for themselves whether or not they find the
reporting to their taste.

They watch CNN alright. Jack Cafferty found that out the last time he
made a slur and had to apologize. However, to really influence the
mass of oppressed Chinese CNN and other western media will have to
broadcast in Chinese. There's a 1.3 billion x 2 eyeballs there to
catch. Its a worthwhile investment to mess up their minds.

I understand perfectly *WhoFlungDung*, freedom of the press is your greatest
fear.
It will eventually erode the communist's hold on the Chinese people.
It can't happen soon enough.

cheers....Jeff

Old June 6th 08, 04:35 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.army
eatfastnoodle

wrote:

If the Chinese people are really lucky, one day they will be able to watch
the likes of CNN and decide for themselves whether or not they find the
reporting to their taste.

They watch CNN alright. *Jack Cafferty found that out the last time he
made a slur and had to apologize. *However, to really influence the
mass of oppressed Chinese CNN and other western media will have to
broadcast in Chinese. *There's a 1.3 billion x 2 eyeballs there to
catch. *Its a worthwhile investment to mess up their minds.

I understand perfectly *WhoFlungDung*, freedom of the press is your greatest
fear.
It will eventually erode the communist's hold on the Chinese people.
It can't happen soon enough.

*cheers....Jeff

You are too ideological, as long as the Communists do a reasonable
good job, its hold on power, Chinese people, whatever, will be just
fine. You may not know that it's much more likely for a Chinese to be
pro-government and anti-West after he/she is exposed to freedom of
expression.
Old June 6th 08, 04:37 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.army
Jeffrey Hamilton

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:00:43 -0400, "Jeffrey Hamilton"
wrote:

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:34:50 -0700 (PDT), eyeball
wrote:

You're welcome. There are at least ten thousand times their numbers
in the mainland who are as smart if not smarter. We can spare as many
as you are willing to take. Employment opportunities are scarce in
China even for top brains.

I'll remember that when you are the one with the immigration problem...

Too late. I have already been embedded for over 30 years.

Wrong, as usual, Ernst Zundel was embedded for over 30 years too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Z%C3%BCndel

Guess where he is now?

As a Chinese communist shill, you undoubtedly lied on your Canadian
immigration form's, all those years ago.

Consider yourself a "marked man", WhoFlungPoo.

cheers.....Jeff

Aha. Zundel lied to get his immigration approved plus he published
and publicized his hatred for an identifiable ethnic group. They got
him on that. Of course having a Canadian Jewish Mafia helps a lot
too.

Yes it does, but it still took way too long to deport the Nazi *******.

Me? I am having an excellent time messing you up without even trying.

What ever gave you the impression _you_are messing with me?

And shame on you. You don't even know your own laws.

Don't I indeed?

Making empty
threats lowers your credibility in polite circles.

I made no threats, I merely made an observation.

In the 1970's Canada took in 50,000 + *boat people*.
These people were of course fleeing the communist's in Vietnam.
The greater proportion of them were ethnic Chinese.
I figure you came to Canada during this process, you *OneHungLow*, in all
likely hood were *planted*,
possibly in a refugee camp.

I'd bet good money _your_communist leanings, were never acknowledged to
Canadian immigration authorities.

Are you a candidate for deportation ?
Who knows.
Are you as stupid in real-life as you are on USENET ?

A bit of *fear factor* there, *WhoFlungPoo* ?

cheers....Jeff

Old June 6th 08, 04:46 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.army
PaPaPeng

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 17:27:31 -0700, "Billzz"
wrote:

"JJS" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,

wrote:

-stuff snipped-

[...]

I guess by now you would have noticed that no one really cares about
the Tibetans unless they can be used to bash China.

Here's a report that isn't so flattering either.

Stop religious persecution
http://www.westernshugdensociety.org/

Every day, thousands and thousands of people around the world quietly
practice the prayer of Dorje Shugden.

This centuries-old practice involves making requests to the Wisdom
Deity Dorje Shugden to support our spiritual development - helping us
to develop pure inner qualities such as love, compassion, equanimity,
wisdom, and patience.

Our goal in making these prayers is to ask for the best conditions to
follow the Buddhist path to full enlightenment, so that we can help
all living beings find lasting inner peace and happiness.

Abandoned by the Dalai Lama
For reasons that have their roots in the arcane world of Tibetan
politics, some years ago the Dalai Lama of Tibet chose to abandon the
practice and outlaw it among the Tibetan community, claiming that this
Deity was 'evil' and that engaging in the practice caused harm to his
own lifespan and to Tibetan independence.

On the orders of the Dalai Lama, the ban was and continues to be
enforced by the Tibetan Government in Exile and all other Tibetan
Exile associations such as the Tibetan Youth Congress and the Tibetan
Women's Association:

" Monks and nuns are forbidden to do the practice and are
unconstitutionally expelled from their monasteries and nunneries if
they do not comply
" Thousands of Shugden practitioners among the Tibetan lay
people are being forced to abandon the practice or lose the support of
their government and face orchestrated public humiliation and
intimidation
" People who refuse to renounce the practice are losing their
jobs, their children are being expelled from schools, and their travel
papers, which require prior authorization from the Tibetan Government
in Exile, are not being endorsed
" Statues have been smashed, temples destroyed, books burned,
practitioner's houses attacked, and even death threats issued in an
orgy of persecution that resembles a medieval witch hunt

Persecution intensifies
This persecution has become progressively more virulent, and in
January 2008, the Dalai Lama issued a new proclamation requiring all
Tibetans to sign a declaration forsaking the practice forever and
promising not to associate in any way - spiritually, financially,
socially or materially - with anyone who does not sign.

Despite the atmosphere of fear and intimidation and the threat to
their own safety and that of their families, thousands of monks and
nuns decided that enough was enough and refused to sign.

They were summarily expelled from their monasteries and nunneries,
forbidden to associate with other Tibetans, even to eat with or shop
from them, and left to fend for themselves without any support.

Untouchables
Although the Tibetans are mere guests in India, the Dalai Lama is
repaying the kindness of the Indian people by violating their
constitution in creating a new group of untouchables. And these from
among his own people!

Having deprived Tibetans in exile of the right to become Indian
citizens and insisted that they all remain subject to his dictatorial
rule, he has effectively condemned those who refuse to compromise the
integrity of their spiritual practice to a double refugee status.
They are refugees from Tibet - stateless in India - and now they are
refugees from their own communities - ostracized and humiliated on the
fringes of Tibetan society.

Inexpressible pain and suffering
And why? Simply because they refuse to abandon a pure and harmless
spiritual practice they have received from their Spiritual Guides.
This tradition goes back centuries. Many of the great Masters of
Tibetan Buddhism received this practice from their Spiritual Guide and
passed it onto their own students - right down to the great Lama,
Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, who passed it to his disciple, the Dalai
Lama!

In abandoning the practice, the Dalai Lama has broken a commitment to
his Spiritual Guide - almost unthinkable in Buddhism among ordinary
practitioners, never mind from a spiritual leader!

It is almost impossible to explain the inner pain and suffering a
Buddhist would experience if they were forced to abandon a heart
practice given to them by their Spiritual Guide. And yet thousands and
thousands of Tibetans have been forced to do just this by the Dalai
Lama!

Stolen teachings
The Dalai Lama has even gone on record as saying his own Spiritual
Guide and his predecessors through the centuries were wrong!
What a preposterous claim!

Is this the example we are being asked to follow?

In a stunning and flagrant act of almost unbelievable hypocrisy, on
the one hand he condemns his own Spiritual Guides and works to destroy
the very heart of the pure tradition they have preserved through the
centuries, while on the other he struts the world's stage giving
teachings from that very tradition!

Because the pure Dharma he received from his Teacher Kyabje Trijang
Rinpoche is so powerful, everyone who hears those teachings naturally
admires the sentiments they express.

But do they know that he has stolen those teachings? Do they question
whether these noble sentiments are actually present in the mind of the
speaker?

Duplicity
But the hypocrisy and duplicity do not stop there.
Aware of the international public horror at the recent atrocities,
which clearly stem from the single handed actions of the Dalai Lama,
the Tibetan Prime Minister and other Officials of the Tibetan
Government in Exile have started a campaign to distance the Dalai Lama
from these actions and their resulting inhumane victimization of a
section of the Tibetan community.

Threat to religious freedom worldwide
Like a virulent cancer, this discrimination has spread from the
Tibetan community to the world at large.

Because the Dalai Lama generally enjoys uncritical celebrity status in
almost every country, people simply accept what he says without
question

As a result, various western Buddhist centres with a connection to the
Dalai Lama are now signing declarations promising not to engage in the
Shugden practice or to allow into their centre anyone who does. They
are also insulting those practitioners and centres in the west who do
engage in this practice.

Such is the spell cast by the Dalai Lama that these people have
suspended their critical faculties to embrace what is nothing more
than a piece of medieval superstition.
Incredibly, Shugden practitioners in the West are now wrongly being
condemned as non-Buddhists!

Why We Are Protesting
Over the years Shugden practitioners in both the East and the West
have sent many letters and petitions to the Dalai Lama requesting him
to completely stop these actions of discrimination, but, giving
invalid reasons, he has refused to accept our requests.

We are left with no option but to protest publicly in the hope of
drawing the world's attention to this intolerable situation.
In doing so we hope that some people at least will see the hypocrisy
in the Dalai Lama parading as a champion of religious freedom while
conducting religious persecution of his own, and join with us in
demanding that this iniquitous discrimination that is causing so much
pain and suffering stop immediately.

All we ask is to be able to say our prayers and follow the advice of
our Spiritual Guides without fear of persecution, ostracism, and
abuse.

Why is it so hard for a Buddhist leader to agree to this?

Old June 6th 08, 04:48 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.army
PaPaPeng

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:08:31 -0700, (JJS)
wrote:

So we are back to the "white man's burden" excuse again. Look
we both know that it doesn't matter what the life style of Tibet
is. This is all about power so why keep bringing up how good
this is for Tibet when is has nothing to do with helping Tibet.
Well I guess you could say that the Chinese are 'helping' themselves
to the resources of Tibet.

Geezee how many times did you have to repeat a grade before you got
your 3Rs right?

Beijing already has all the power. She doesn't need to prove anything
to anyone least of all to people like you. Beijing has a National
Policy for Minorities of which Tibetans form a group that receives the
most attention. Belonging to a Chinese minority group brings useful
privileges such as being allowed to have more children and these
children have preferential admission to institutions of higher
learning, the passport to the good life. As such quite a number of
identifiable community groups seek Minority status.
http://www.everyculture.com/Russia-E...-Policies.html

I made no claim that Beijing's Tibet policy is good for the Tibetans.
What Beijing does is pragmatism. Its a damn lot chaper and easier to
pay displaced Tibetans to get by than it is to try to force feed them
ill thought out "Tibet" solutions. Your experience in the west had
seen many multi-million dollar welfare type attempts go to waste. All
those failures do is to reinforce the target group's sense of failure
and the futility of their lives. The smarter ones develop a penchant
to game the system for whatever dollars they can get before another
do-good project goes south.

Your responses so far is to patronize the Tibetans by saying that all
their problems can be solved if only Beijing cared. In the same
breath you contradict yourself "if only Beijing would leave them alone
to work out something at their own pace and time" Tibetans will
achieve nirvana. You really have some personal issues to resolve
first.

That New Town resettlement for Tibetans displaced by climate change
actually tells many stories. There are no laws that keep them there.
There are no restrictions as to what work they can engage in. There
are no laws to say they cannot go back to their old style of life (or
a new style if they chose to do so) anywhere in Tibet or elsewhere in
China. Yet they stay and they remain bored out of their frigging
minds. The incontrovertible fact then is there is nowhere in the
whole vast country of China that they can they recreate their former
lives. The world has changed and its not the Government's fault.
Therefore all this talk about preserving their culture won't bring
back their former lives. The best and perhaps only way they can
practice it is in the form of festivals. For their everyday lives
they must adapt to realities, and that is to find some form of work
they can do. What this form will take is something neither you nor I
have a clue on since neither of us have been to Tibet let alone what
their hopes and capabilities are. You have neither the intellectual
nor the moral authority to speak for them.

================================

Chinese Policy on Minorities
http://www.paulnoll.com/China/Minori...in-policy.html
General

These fifty-six are extremely diverse. Some of the minorities,
including the Hui and the Zhuang, are very similar to the Han; others
are very different, for instance, the Turkic peoples of the west such
as the Uygurs or Kazakhs, or the Iranian Tajiks. The Minority
nationalities occupy about 60 per cent of China's territory,
including, above all, the vast western areas.

Policy

Chinese policy officially opposes forced assimilation and allows
autonomy to the minority nationalities, so that they can retain their
own characteristics. Under this policy, the government has set up
numerous autonomous areas throughout China. The policy's real effect,
however, can best be described as integration.

Policy on Secession

Both policy and reality are fiercely opposed to outright secession,
which the government has suppressed brutally on several occasions.
Such occasions occurred in the years of 1959, 1987, and 1989. Most of
the minorities have succeeded in integrating reasonably well with the
Han, but independence or secessionist and wishes have remained strong
among a few, particularly the Tibetans. Ethnic dissent among some
nationalities could easily develop as an issue in the coming years.

Census Situation

In the 1953 census 41 minority nationalities were specified. In the
1964 census, there were 183 nationalities registered, among which the
government recognized only 54. Of the remaining 129 nationalities, 74
were considered to be part of the officially recognized 54, 23 were
classified as "other nationalities" and the remaining 32 were
classified as "indeterminate." The numbers of population has some
suspect due to the re-registration of significant numbers of Han
people as members of minority nationalities, an action which brought
with it personal benefits. Also some did so as it relates to the
substantial (though not total) exemption of members of minority
nationalities from the family planning policy of "one family one
child".