unfair cartoon in October 2004 issue of KITPLANES

Old August 26th 04, 01:43 AM
Blueskies

"Vince" wrote in message news:AlaXc.2984$2F.1734@trnddc05...
All that over a cartoon? Taking things a bit too serious aren't you?

snip
p.s. try and attend an organized launch in your area some weekend - they're
about the most intelligent, amiable and fun-loving folks you'll ever meet, and
I guarantee you'll have a blast.

No pun intended, I'm sure...

Old August 26th 04, 01:45 AM
Rich S.

"Vince" wrote in message
> [...]

Well, yeah, it's just a cartoon, but...

I ran across a bunch of Estes rockets at a garage sale and bought them all
for $7. I gave them to the pre-teens who live nest door, 'cuz they're really
into model rocketry.

Cartoons like the object of this posting are out of line and hurtful to a
whole generation of budding aerospace enthusiasts.

There should be a retraction and apology. These are our brothers.

Rich S.

Old August 26th 04, 05:37 PM
Capt.Doug

"Bob Kaplow" wrote in message To infer that model rocketeers would
endanger pilots or aircraft is absurd.

NASA's safety database has at least one report of chaperoned school kids in
Alabama firing a model rocket and narrowly missing a light twin at 300' AGL
on final approach to the neighboring airport.

In your group and in our group, image is important. Most of us are
responsible beings. However, there is always one idiot in every group. Isn't
that 'absurd'?

D.

Old August 26th 04, 06:40 PM
Bob Kaplow

In article , Nathan Young writes:
I would be willing to bet that somewhere, a model rocket has hit a GA
plane.

Nope. Not that has ever been reported to anyone.

And the overall safety record: 47 years, over 600 MILLION flights, ZERO
fatalities, and ONE serious injury.

Out of curiousity, how fast are the model rockets moving?

Under thrust, fast enough that you wouldn't ever see it. Any where from a
few hundred miles an hour STRAIGHT UP to Mach 2.

When descending under a parachute, maybe 20 fps, again Z axis. THey drift
with the wind.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
To reply, remove the TRABoD!

Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

Old August 26th 04, 06:50 PM
Bob Kaplow

In article AlaXc.2984$2F.1734@trnddc05, "Vince" writes:
All that over a cartoon? Taking things a bit too serious aren't you?

Well, yeah, it's just a cartoon, but...

How serious would folks on r.a.h. take it, if a cartoon was run somewhere
showing some terrorists using a homebuilt aircraft for some illicit purpose?

We'd all be "safest", at home and locked indoors by the police. There are
enough threats to our freedom from within, thanks to needless paranoia
and ensuing government overregulation, without having to stir up even more
unnecessary fears. I for one like living in a country where folks are still
free to do things (responsibly) that other people might consider "risky".
Things like flying homebuilt aircraft, and flying model rockets.

I'm glad some folks understand.

Unfortunately, there are people - within our borders - more than willing to
take away a little freedom here, a little liberty there, all so the trembling
ninnies can have a little more "safety". I feel more threatened by them, than
by any terrorist. Pretty soon, there won't be any more freedom and liberty
left to take away.

But we'll all be "safe".

deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Folks like Ashcroft and Reno before him are turning this country into
exactly what my father fought against in WWII. We don't yet have jack booted
government thugs on every street corner demanding "PAPEERZ PLEEZE" but we've
got them in our airports and "public" buildings. One by one the nanny state
is stealing our rights from us. By the tome some folks realize it, it will
be too late. Maybe it already is.

Check out http://nar.org/NARcalend.shtml to find one in your area.

Old August 26th 04, 06:57 PM
Bob Kaplow

In article , "Capt.Doug" writes:
"Bob Kaplow" wrote in message To infer that model rocketeers would
endanger pilots or aircraft is absurd.

NASA's safety database has at least one report of chaperoned school kids in
Alabama firing a model rocket and narrowly missing a light twin at 300' AGL
on final approach to the neighboring airport.

Yes, and I got a similar report here in the Chicago area from my contact at
the ORD TRACON.

********** NEVER TRUST ANYTHING EXCEPT A FIRST HAND REPORT! **********

The report from the FAA was that someone was shooting rockets at an
airliner. As usual it wasn't forst hand, but one airline pilot heard the
story form another who heard it from another...

What really happened: We had a launch scheduled on a nice sunny day. We had
contacted the FSS and they issued a NOTAM 48 hours in advance. A couple AA
pilots saw the HOTAM, and brought their lawn chairs and a cooler out to the
launch. The watched us for several hours and had a nice afternoon.

Monday they go to work, and mention to some colleagues that they saw a
rocket launch over the weekend. Then those folks tell their friends that
"Joe saw some rockets over the weekend". Before you know it the story is
that we're shooting the rockets past their cockpit window as they come in
for a landing.

I'm sure you've got similar stories where reports get all bent out of shape.
Even reports that end up in some official database.

BTW, while driving to work today I had a truck "narrowly miss" my car, by
only a couple feet. Of course that happens every day in traffic.

Old August 26th 04, 07:00 PM
Bob Kaplow

In article , "C J Campbell" writes:
"Nathan Young" wrote in message
All that over a cartoon? Taking things a bit too serious aren't you?

Unfortunately for the model rocket industry things have come to that. It has
become extremely difficult to even ship model rocket engines because of
security paranoia. Many stores have quit carrying them entirely.

Model rocketeers probably don't find cartoons like this any more funny than
you would find a New Yorker cartoon of a 'stealth' Velocity bombing a city
to be funny.

I did get an email apology this morning from the editors. Since it was
addressed to me and not the newsgroup, I won't post it here. It's more than
we've got from the likes of SBC and other folks that have defamed our hobby.

Old August 26th 04, 07:38 PM
Wallace Berry

I don't fly them anymore, but I had a great time as a kid with my model
rockets. My favorite was my Estes Avenger 2 stage. I built one of the
original Estes Saturn V's that used 3 C engines. Went to a high power
rocketry meet a couple years ago. Lots of fun. Launch had to be
postponed at one point for a "lookie-lou" in a 172 who saw all the folks
in the middle of the turf farm and decided to come check it out. The
meet was NOTAM'ed by the way.

Once when doing glider acro, I had just leveled out at the bottom of a
loop at around 2500 agl (my acro floor). My passenger asked what that
thing was just off our right wing. It was a model rocket descending on
it's 'chute. My response was "Hey, they're shooting at us!"

In article ,
oD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

In article , Corky Scott
writes:
I guess you could say: at least he called. That's true, but he should
not have even been considering firing it in such close proximaty to
the airport.

The regs are quite clear on where we can and can not fly. For the
traditional model rocket under 1 pound, we are totally exempt from FAA
regulation. Still we must fly in a manner that does not endanger aircraft.

For what is now known as a "large model rocket" (between 1 and 3.3#) we need
to NOTIFY the local airport manager of our activity. That may be what you
encountered.

Beyond 3.3# we fill out the same waiver form as used for an airshow, 45 days
in advance, etc. etc. and the FAA has the final say as to whether our
request is granted or not.

We've actually flown off assorted airports, both general aviation and
military. The first time I was involved in running one of these launches we
were just under 20 miles outside of ORD, one of the busiest hunks of
airspace in the country. They let us fly up to but not into the TCA, and
actually rerouted traffic into 9 right around us.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
To reply, remove the TRABoD!
Kaplow Klips & Baffle:
http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org