MXSMANIC - The posts don't add up

Old October 18th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
swag

Default MXSMANIC - The posts don't add up

I believe that the "wrong math" citation that everyone is alluding to
was when he posited that if the probability of one engine failing was
1/1000 then a single engine plane's chance of turning into a glider was
1/1000, but a twin's chance of turning into a glider was 1/1000000,
although the chance of a twin losing an engine was 1/500. Our more
mathematically correct and esteemed colleagues cited the exact formula
(which would correct the 1/500 to 1/500- 1/1000000). I believe that
any engineer worth his salt would call the second term negligible.

John Theune wrote:
Steve Foley wrote:
"John Theune" wrote in message

However I've also seen him write on detailed medical and mathematical
subjects and he has demonstrated a fair amount on knowledge.

I can't comment on his medical knowledge, but in the mathematical subjects I
recall, he applied the wrong formula for a given situation.

Pretty mach the same thing he does in aviation matters.

True, he was wrong there also, but he knew enough math to make it appear
reasonable ( and wrong ) Not what I would expect from a minimum wage
earning person. If he had that level of knowledge/training he should be
able to get a better job. I know from what I've seen over the years at
work the ability to be right is not required for getting a job, it's
much more knowing the lingo. I'm sure you run into clueless people at
work before also. One wonders how they keep their jobs but its not
terrible surprising how they got them.
Bottom line is I don't buy his line of poverty as a reason to not learn
more about flying from a professional or even by himself from purchased
book.

Old October 18th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:09:26 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Here again, I disagree.

Who cares? You've zero knowledge from which to come to your conclusion.
That you choose to disagree, despite a complete lack of knowledge, with
those that have the knowledge you lack is telling.

Stay aware from real airplanes. I've no doubt that your arrogance
combined with your distaste for actual knowledge and experience would
combine to kill you in short order.

And that, unfortunately, would be just another "black eye" for aviation.

- Andrew

Old October 18th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_1_]

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

ahem... older pilots tend not to have sim experience of any value prior to
getting into a real cockpit. For example, I did my primary training in
1987.
MSFS was a horrible toy at that time. And my first flight was in 1973,
when
a friend of my father got me hooked on flying with a xc in an arrow. Not
many sims available in 1973.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

I agree with Bob. When I learned to fly the airplane didn't have
lights, they are electric, and electricity didn't come till later...

Al G

Old October 18th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Emily has remarked a couple times about her inability to fly a MS-type
flight simulator without crashing it.

Emily,

I would be very interested to know how you'd do in a full motion simulator
like the airlines use.

Jon

Old October 18th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Marty Shapiro wrote:

140 an hour dual really isn't *that* much higher than in the US.

At 4:33 AM EDT, the excange rate quoted was 1 USD = 0.7974 Euro. That
makes 140 Euro = $175.57.

one thing to note: although the rental prices tend to be much
higher in Europe, you are also more likely to find clubs that
provide instruction for free (instructors volunteering their
time); so training is not necessarily so much more expensive
as it might be in USA.

--Sylvain
Old October 18th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

140 an hour dual really isn't *that* much higher than in the US.

It is only slightly less than I earn in a week.

Old October 18th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Andrew Gideon writes:

Who cares?

Anyone who spends three paragraphs arguing about it.

Old October 18th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

I guarantee that your view would change in this case.

People guaranteed me all sorts of things in the past, too. They were
still wrong.

You see, almost everyone who first flew, had misconceptions
similar to yours.

I heard this, too. A lot of people are stupid. But I'm not.

Perhaps, but see above. What you're missing is that many others had a
similar experience.

But I did not. I am atypical.

While I think that you are very observant, your questions and
statements do make it abundantly clear that you overestimate what you
understand on this topic. You're basically at the point of someone who
knows how to ride a bicycle, and thinking that the experience is
equivalent to driving a car.

I've heard this before as well. After decades of giving people the
benefit of the doubt and being disappointed, I no longer believe it.
Sorry.

Old October 18th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dave Stadt writes:

A half hour of real flight is worth eons of sitting behind a game.

A half-hour is just a half-hour. Eons are eons.

Old October 18th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Emily writes:

140 an hour dual really isn't *that* much higher than in the US.

It is only slightly less than I earn in a week.

Hmmm. A teen age high school drop out earns significantly more than
that at an entry level position with McDonalds.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)