Moderated List

Old May 2nd 08, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Default Moderated List

We need to find or create a moderated list for the pilots who follow
this group...
I'm willing to even kick in a few bucks to make it happen...

denny
Old May 2nd 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Denny wrote:
We need to find or create a moderated list for the pilots who follow
this group...
I'm willing to even kick in a few bucks to make it happen...

denny

Well there the rec.aviation.stories Larry is the mod though.
Old May 2nd 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman

You know -- I was just thinking a rec.aviation.piloting.moderated would
be a darn good idea. Doesn't need a few bucks as much as it needs a few
volunteers to moderate, and one of the downsides is some degree of
latency when posting articles (i.e. they need to be approved by the
moderator).

Has this topic come up in the past? Lot of good content on this NG.
Also a lot of bottom-posted, cross-posted fckwt sht too, and that is
getting to be a bit of noise.

Old May 2nd 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-05-02, tman inv@lid wrote:
Has this topic come up in the past? Lot of good content on this NG.
Also a lot of bottom-posted, cross-posted fckwt sht too, and that is
getting to be a bit of noise.

The problem is not bottom posting. The problem is a total and utter lack of
trimming.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old May 2nd 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman

On 2008-05-02, tman inv@lid wrote:
Has this topic come up in the past? Lot of good content on this NG.
Also a lot of bottom-posted, cross-posted fckwt sht too, and that is
getting to be a bit of noise.

The problem is not bottom posting. The problem is a total and utter lack of
trimming.

Yes, thanks, that's what i meant. Didn't use the right word.
No trimming in this post for ironic effect, but thats kinda muted cause
of the brevity of what's above.

Old May 2nd 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

tman wrote:
You know -- I was just thinking a rec.aviation.piloting.moderated would
be a darn good idea. Doesn't need a few bucks as much as it needs a few
volunteers to moderate, and one of the downsides is some degree of
latency when posting articles (i.e. they need to be approved by the
moderator).

Has this topic come up in the past? Lot of good content on this NG.
Also a lot of bottom-posted, cross-posted fckwt sht too, and that is
getting to be a bit of noise.

I don't know if you've ever been involved with a moded newsgroups I have
and they usually die out at some point and it usually because of
someones ego.
Old May 2nd 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Fri, 02 May 2008 10:51:17 -0400, tman inv@lid wrote in :

You know -- I was just thinking a rec.aviation.piloting.moderated would
be a darn good idea. Doesn't need a few bucks as much as it needs a few
volunteers to moderate, and one of the downsides is some degree of
latency when posting articles (i.e. they need to be approved by the
moderator).

Has this topic come up in the past? Lot of good content on this NG.
Also a lot of bottom-posted, cross-posted fckwt sht too, and that is
getting to be a bit of noise.

There are many costs in setting up a .moderated group,
financial, personal, and social.

I speak from personal experience as well as from
reading about the issues:

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/mod-pitfalls.html

It's not easy and it's not a panacea.

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old May 2nd 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Fri, 02 May 2008 10:20:06 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote in
:

I don't know if you've ever been involved with a moded newsgroups ...

10 years as a moderator for one.

... they usually die out at some point and it usually because of
someone's ego.

They get built, too, because of determined characters.

They don't come into being by accident.

They can't stay around by accident.

They can die by accident.

Marty
Old May 2nd 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 2 May 2008 04:04:47 -0700 (PDT), Denny
wrote in
:

We need to find or create a moderated list for the pilots who follow
this group...

I'm disappointed. I thought you were strong enough to rise above the
noise. Oh well...

A wise fellow once said:

"A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of
many bad measures."
--Daniel Webster

Another uttered:

“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security
will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
--Benjamin Franklin

I'm willing to even kick in a few bucks to make it happen...

denny

Denny, Denny, Denny.... A moderated newsgroup is going to cost more
than mere money. It's going to require someone with vision to draft
an acceptable charter, but more difficult, it's going to require a
full-time moderator or group thereof whose censorship evenhandedness
and impartiality are acceptable to the readership. Have you the time
to devote to moderation? Or are you proposing to pay the salaries of
the moderator(s)? You may want to do some research before
responding: http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/mod-pitfalls.html

Assuming suitable moderators can be selected who are willing to
dutifully fulfill their responsibilities over the decades, there is
also another little matter to address before they will be needed.
There is a formal process to create a newsgroup under the big-8. You
can read about it he
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/big-eight.html
http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-dir/newgroup-faq.html Basically, there needs
to be formal discussion that complies with the guidelines, and a vote.

Personally, I prefer to accept the noise if means avoiding censorship.
Not only is it extremely cruel to persecute in this brief life
those who do not think the way we do, but I do not know if it
might be too presumptuous to declare their eternal damnation.
-- François-Marie Arouet

In any event, any public display of frustration, perplexity, or
against (as is implicit in this message thread) only serves to
reinforce the behavior of those whose only purpose is to be
ignominiously disruptive.

Forbearance an tolerance, my boy. Trolls build character. :-)

The most successful attack against the trolls is passive and
necessarily limited to being only two pronged:

1. Do not respond to them, nor show dismay, nor outrage.
2. Post ON-TOPIC articles to increase the newsgroup's
signal-to-noise ratio.

You may find that any other action counterproductive.

Obligatory rec.aviation.piloting content:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=90982
Nevada governor to bill Fossett widow for search expenses

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Gov. Jim Gibbons intends to bill the
widow of missing multimillionaire adventurer Steve Fossett for
$687,000 the state spent in searching for the famed aviator last
fall, a spokesman said. ...

On Tuesday, before Kieckhefer revealed the governor's plans, state
Emergency Management Director Frank Siracusa said state and local
government search and rescue workers have a long-standing
tradition of not charging when they hunt for missing persons, even
for multimillionaires such as Steve Fossett.

"We do not charge the rich or the poor," Siracusa said. "There is
no precedent where government will go after people for costs just
because they have money to pay for it. You get lost, and we look
for you. It is a service your taxpayer dollars pay for."

Old May 2nd 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

Denny, Denny, Denny.... A moderated newsgroup is going to cost more
than mere money. It's going to require someone with vision to draft
an acceptable charter, but more difficult, it's going to require a
full-time moderator or group thereof whose censorship evenhandedness
and impartiality are acceptable to the readership.

Hey, I'll do it.

Bertie