Altimeter Calibration Height

Old March 8th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

Default Altimeter Calibration Height

Here's one that may seem silly: to what height, precisely, is an
altimeter calibrated to?

The bottom of the landing gear? The height of the static port? the chord
line of the fuselage? In a Cessna, the difference between these is
minimal, but on an airliner, you're talking about a possible +/- 10-15
feet (even discounting the radar altimeter).

What is the answer, o Swammi of Salami?

TheSmokingGnu
Old March 8th 07, 07:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

the wheels.

"TheSmokingGnu" wrote
in message ...

Old March 8th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

When you dial in the altimeter setting, don't you check the altimeter
readout against the field elevation? That's what it's set to, whatever
is the datum for the field elevation. I do think the only fields that
are flat to within 10 feet might be places like the seaplane airport
in San Diego. Or maybe airports in Florida -- there just aren't many
hills there.

On Mar 8, 2:36 am, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
the wheels.

"TheSmokingGnu" wrote
in ...

Old March 8th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michelle P

TheSmokingGnu wrote:
Here's one that may seem silly: to what height, precisely, is an
altimeter calibrated to?

The bottom of the landing gear? The height of the static port? the chord
line of the fuselage? In a Cessna, the difference between these is
minimal, but on an airliner, you're talking about a possible +/- 10-15
feet (even discounting the radar altimeter).

What is the answer, o Swammi of Salami?

TheSmokingGnu

When doing the bi-annual? the calbration is at the height of static port.

Michelle
Old March 8th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 8, 6:56 am, Michelle P
wrote:
TheSmokingGnu wrote:
Here's one that may seem silly: to what height, precisely, is an
altimeter calibrated to?

The bottom of the landing gear? The height of the static port? the chord
line of the fuselage? In a Cessna, the difference between these is
minimal, but on an airliner, you're talking about a possible +/- 10-15
feet (even discounting the radar altimeter).

What is the answer, o Swammi of Salami?

TheSmokingGnu

When doing the bi-annual? the calbration is at the height of static port.

Michelle

But a static port at a lower level won't result in a higher
static pressure at the altimeter. There's a pressure drop with
altitude inside the line, too, just as there is in a water-filled
tube. I would imagine the pilot of a machine with its altimeter 20
feet off the ground would note a 20-foot discrepancy with the field
elevation once the altimeter has been set to the controller's numbers.

Dan

Old March 8th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"TheSmokingGnu" wrote in message
Here's one that may seem silly: to what height, precisely, is an altimeter
calibrated to?

The bottom of the landing gear? The height of the static port? the chord
line of the fuselage? In a Cessna, the difference between these is
minimal, but on an airliner, you're talking about a possible +/- 10-15
feet (even discounting the radar altimeter).

What is the answer, o Swammi of Salami?

TheSmokingGnu

The altitude of the bench in the avionics shop.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 9th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Mar 9, 12:24 pm, Michelle P
On Mar 8, 6:56 am, Michelle P
wrote:

TheSmokingGnu wrote:

[...]

that is why they allow a 75ft deviation.
Michelle

Thats what we need deviant altimeters :-)

Old March 9th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Thats what we need deviant altimeters :-)

They go with deviant pilots, no?

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old March 9th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Here's one that may seem silly: to what height, precisely, is an
altimeter calibrated to?
The bottom of the landing gear? The height of the static port? the chord
line of the fuselage? In a Cessna, the difference between these is
minimal, but on an airliner, you're talking about a possible +/-
10-15 feet (even discounting the radar altimeter).

Good question. In practice, it would depend on the mechanic, and
whether he cares enough to fine-tune the altimeter that much.

The actual altimeter test is described in FAR 43 CFR Appendix E, and
allowable error varies from 20' at sea level, to much more at higher
altitudes.

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/dat...t_43-appE.html

The oft-quoted "75" feet error check is just a rule of thumb from the
FAA Instrument Flying Handbook, Chapter 3, page 3-4:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...ying_handbook/

Now for a bit of weird history. I don't have the reference handy, but
one common atmospheric formula used for converting between indicated
altitude and outside pressure, includes a .01" Hg correction between
the altimeter and the ground, or about 10 feet. This was apparently
the most common instrument position some 70 years ago when it was
created (!!)

Cheers, Kev

Deck height Sean Trost Home Built 5 July 16th 04 03:46 AM
Volkslogger Calibration Ray Lovinggood Soaring 5 September 13th 03 04:56 PM
Height records? Paul Repacholi Soaring 2 September 7th 03 03:14 PM
Cloud Height Indicator Bob Bristow Home Built 0 August 11th 03 07:42 AM
Seat height problem Slav Inger Piloting 7 July 22nd 03 02:31 PM