Hello? Any oldtimers around?

Old July 23rd 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Hello? Any oldtimers around?

Is Mx the only oldtimer around? I'm very glad to see he's still here,
by the way, just wondering if everybody left in the midst of the
spammer a few years ago.

Happy Flying!

Ricky
CFII, Multi, Balloon
Soon, I hope; ATP, Ultralight, Glider, Gas Balloons
Old July 23rd 12, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn

On 7/23/2012 1:43 PM, Ricky wrote:
Is Mx the only oldtimer around? I'm very glad to see he's still here,
by the way, just wondering if everybody left in the midst of the
spammer a few years ago.

Happy Flying!

Ricky
CFII, Multi, Balloon
Soon, I hope; ATP, Ultralight, Glider, Gas Balloons

Some of us never left, but prefer to hide behind our troll filters.

There's really not much going on here any more,and that applies to most
of the Usenet not just this group. The last few years have been a
perfect storm for the Usenet.

I hope you get that glider ticket!

Vaughn (CFIG)

Old July 23rd 12, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george152

Ricky wrote:
Is Mx the only oldtimer around? I'm very glad to see he's still here,
by the way, just wondering if everybody left in the midst of the
spammer a few years ago.

Happy Flying!

Ricky
CFII, Multi, Balloon
Soon, I hope; ATP, Ultralight, Glider, Gas Balloons

Just looking in occasionally.
Good luck on the tickets
Old July 24th 12, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bug Dout

Vaughn writes:

On 7/23/2012 1:43 PM, Ricky wrote:
Is Mx the only oldtimer around? I'm very glad to see he's still here,
by the way, just wondering if everybody left in the midst of the
spammer a few years ago.

Happy Flying!

Ricky
CFII, Multi, Balloon
Soon, I hope; ATP, Ultralight, Glider, Gas Balloons

Some of us never left, but prefer to hide behind our troll filters.

There's really not much going on here any more,and that applies to
most of the Usenet not just this group. The last few years have been
a perfect storm for the Usenet.

++1

Apart from the experimental world there's little new in GA
generally. The occasional new LSA model is released and non-certified
avionics gizmos update with frequency. For instance, Dynon now has a
complete ADS-B In/Out package (transponder and UAT receiver) for less
than $3000 (plus I'm sure one of their displays)...best price around at
the moment I think. Some portable gizmos that work with iPads. If GA is
to have a future it surely must be with LSA and Experimental-Amateur
Built aircraft. I wish the FAA would designate another type: pro-built
kitplanes.
--
Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I assure you that
mine are greater.
Old July 24th 12, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn

On 7/24/2012 3:49 PM, Bug Dout wrote:
and non-certified
avionics gizmos update with frequency. For instance, Dynon now has a
complete ADS-B In/Out package (transponder and UAT receiver) for less
than $3000 (plus I'm sure one of their displays)..

My flight bag literally bulges with non-certified gizmos. I still carry
my trusty aviation GPS, but when I find the right GPS app for my pad it
will float to the dusty bottom of the bag along with the old gum
wrappers and FBO receipts.

My Zaon PCAS helps make up for my aging (but still certified) eyes. It
has severe limitations, but it beats nothing. If nothing else, it keeps
reminding me to look out the front window.

In-flight weather was just for the big boys a few years ago, but now
it's filtering down to the rest of us. My pad gives me weather up until
the moment I launch, and sporadically updates it in flight via 3G. I'm
interested in that $900.00 gizmo that gives reliable inflight weather on
the Ipad, but I suspect these things will cost much less in a year or
two, and you won't need to buy a Foreflight subscription to use them.
Here in south Florida, summer cross-country flying is all about dodging
thunderstorms. I would rather have in-flight weather than a parachute.

I recently bought the new $199.00 Google Nexus7 8" pad. It is a
candidate to replace the Ipad that I have been flying with. So far, I
have confirmed that (unlike my Ipad) it has an excellent GPS built in.
I get superb weather images on it with a $10.00 Android Foreflight
app. (no subscription charge). Now I'm just looking for a decent GPS
app, and I will have a cheap yoke-mountable one-box solution.

Vaughn

Old July 25th 12, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article ,
Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Ricky wrote:
Is Mx the only oldtimer around? I'm very glad to see he's still here,
by the way, just wondering if everybody left in the midst of the
spammer a few years ago.

I've been around, on and off, since there was only rec.aviation, shellEy
was a regular poster, and we had patches made so we could recognize
each other at Oshkosh.

Same here. Got the patch too.

I wouldn't call an Mx an old timer. He was only around for the last
bit of the life of this group.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old July 25th 12, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

On 7/24/2012 5:19 PM, John Clear wrote:
In ,
Edward A. wrote:
In ,
wrote:
Is Mx the only oldtimer around? I'm very glad to see he's still here,
by the way, just wondering if everybody left in the midst of the
spammer a few years ago.

I've been around, on and off, since there was only rec.aviation, shellEy
was a regular poster, and we had patches made so we could recognize
each other at Oshkosh.

Same here. Got the patch too.

I wouldn't call an Mx an old timer. He was only around for the last
bit of the life of this group.

I'm still about, too... got the patch on my camera bag.

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 25th 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_3_]

On Monday, July 23, 2012 1:43:56 PM UTC-4, Ricky wrote:
Is Mx the only oldtimer around? I'm very glad to see he's still here,
by the way, just wondering if everybody left in the midst of the
spammer a few years ago.

Happy Flying!

Ricky
CFII, Multi, Balloon
Soon, I hope; ATP, Ultralight, Glider, Gas Balloons

I still have a shortcut on my desktop for Usenet groups and discover it every once in a while (like now:-) and will hit it in an "off moment" with nothing really expected at this end and I'm seldom surprised at what I find here. I'll take a look, smile as I realize Lucy has conned me once more and removed the football as I attempted to kick it :-))))))))), then I'll move on seldom posting. Just don't need the hassle any more.
Dudley Henriques
Old July 25th 12, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Dudley Henriques wrote:

[...]

I'm still around, too! The idiot filter sometimes get clogged, though,
so we have to wait until it gets cleared.

Just keep in formation, Dudley!
Old July 25th 12, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_3_]

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:12:58 PM UTC-4, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article >,
Dudley Henriques > wrote:

> On Monday, July 23, 2012 1:43:56 PM UTC-4, Ricky wrote:
> > Is Mx the only oldtimer around? I'm very glad to see he's still
> > here,
> > by the way, just wondering if everybody left in the midst of the
> > spammer a few years ago.
> >
> > Happy Flying!
> >
> > Ricky
> > CFII, Multi, Balloon
> > Soon, I hope; ATP, Ultralight, Glider, Gas Balloons
>
> I still have a shortcut on my desktop for Usenet groups and discover it every
> once in a while (like now:-) and will hit it in an "off moment" with nothing
> really expected at this end and I'm seldom surprised at what I find here.
> I'll take a look, smile as I realize Lucy has conned me once more and removed
> the football as I attempted to kick it :-))))))))), then I'll move on seldom
> posting. Just don't need the hassle any more.
> Dudley Henriques

I'm still around, too! The idiot filter sometimes get clogged, though,
so we have to wait until it gets cleared.

Just keep in formation, Dudley!

:-))
DH