Liability insurance

Old June 9th 04, 12:30 AM
Ian Cant

Default Liability insurance

David Bingham, writing about Sparrowhawk operations,
mentioned that the USHGA provides liability insurance
coverage for all its members. I checked their website,
and sure enough they have a master policy covering
every member [and every club] up to $1 million, with
a $1000 deductible.

Now, the membership of USHGA is $59 per year, including
a magazine sub.

And while ultralight hang-gliders may have a little
less liability damage potential than a Nimbus, they
are flown by unlicensed pilots under loosely controlled
conditions. It seems that the two risks might be comparable.

Why can the SSA not offer some similar coverage to
all members ? What would it require, and how much
might it cost ? And how many more members might join
SSA just for that ?

Ian

Old June 9th 04, 04:51 AM
Mike Borgelt

On 8 Jun 2004 23:30:15 GMT, Ian Cant
wrote:

David Bingham, writing about Sparrowhawk operations,
mentioned that the USHGA provides liability insurance
coverage for all its members. I checked their website,
and sure enough they have a master policy covering
every member [and every club] up to $1 million, with
a $1000 deductible.

Now, the membership of USHGA is $59 per year, including
a magazine sub.

And while ultralight hang-gliders may have a little
less liability damage potential than a Nimbus, they
are flown by unlicensed pilots under loosely controlled
conditions. It seems that the two risks might be comparable.

Why can the SSA not offer some similar coverage to
all members ? What would it require, and how much
might it cost ? And how many more members might join
SSA just for that ?

Ian

Don't even think about it.
You and the SSA will be in an immediate conflict of interest in the
event you make a claim. The SSA will want to keep the premium low by
a low successful claims history, you will want the insurer to pay out.
The SSA will only annoy you by not paying out, annoy all the members
if premiums increase- and they will anyway as this will be a
relatively captive market for the insurer.

Don't believe me? Then find out what happened to the Brits who got hit
by the parachutist in France and if the BGA insurance paid out.
The one case I know of in Australia under a similar scheme had the
insurer knocking back the claim and the GFA (Gliding Federation of
Australia) deciding not to get involved in backing the claimant.

The Hang Gliding Federation of Australia has a similar scheme which
has now caused a huge problem as the insurer has decided not to cover
the training operations unless the premium goes up by a factor of 3.

Mike Borgelt
Old June 9th 04, 05:52 PM
Ian Cant

Mike,
Thankyou for the insight, which may very well
be good advice.

However, is there not ALWAYS a conflict of interest
between insurer and insured at claim time ? Having
the SSA as a middleman would not appear to alter that
fact.

The SSA might even be encouraged to become more interested
in overall soaring safety statistics [or at least liability
claim incidents], and develop a more pro-active safety
program. That would hardly be bad for us.

The large pool might well be a captive market for the
duration of any one contract; but at renewal time,
it should also be more attractive to insurers and thus
attract competitive rates.

Am I hopelessly naive ?

Ian

Old June 9th 04, 10:19 PM
Eric Greenwell

Ian Cant wrote:
Mike,
Thankyou for the insight, which may very well
be good advice.

However, is there not ALWAYS a conflict of interest
between insurer and insured at claim time ? Having
the SSA as a middleman would not appear to alter that
fact.

The SSA might even be encouraged to become more interested
in overall soaring safety statistics [or at least liability
claim incidents], and develop a more pro-active safety
program. That would hardly be bad for us.

The SSA via the SSF (Soaring Safety Foundation) is already very
interested in the soaring safety statistics, and has been for a couple
decades. The SSF works closely with Costello Associates (the agent) to
get these statistics (a lot more accidents are reported to the insurers
than to the FAA!) to aid in the development of safety programs.

The large pool might well be a captive market for the
duration of any one contract; but at renewal time,
it should also be more attractive to insurers and thus
attract competitive rates.

The SSA insurance program does represent such a pool, and it is used to
obtain decent group rates. I don't think these could ever be as low as
hang glider rates, given the aircraft flown, so adding the cost to the
membership fee would not be practical. In any case, _liability_ costs
are quite low, at only $143 for 2004 for me. It's hull insurance costs
that cause most people to wince, as they are many times the liability costs.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old June 10th 04, 03:22 PM
Michael

Ian Cant wrote
And while ultralight hang-gliders may have a little
less liability damage potential than a Nimbus

A lot less. It's much slower and much lighter, and probably is
capable of delivering no more than a quarter of the energy on impact
that a Nimbus can deliver.

they are flown by unlicensed pilots

Not true. Those pilots are licensed by USHGA. Sure, the
instructional program is not under FAA control. However, my
experience as an instructor both in an FAA-controlled environment
(gliders and airplanes) and in a non-FAA-controlled environment where
a sport association issues licenses and has a liability insurance
program (parachutes) leads me to believe that FAA involvement in the
training program does not add any safety or proficiency value - only
increased cost and bureaucracy.

under loosely controlled conditions.

Are they any less controlled than the conditions at a privately owned
grass gliderport? My (admittedly few) lessons with a USHGA instructor
suggest otherwise.

It seems that the two risks might be comparable.

It doesn't seem that way to me at all. Clearly the gliders involved
are not capable of causing near as much damage, and the proficiency of
the pilots is probably about the same.

Michael

Old June 11th 04, 12:42 AM
ken ward

One of the driving forces behind USHGA liability insurance is exactly
*because* USHGA rates their instructors. I know of a fatality in which
the heirs went (successfully) after USHGA because they had failed to
pull a dangerous instructor's rating. Another large payout was due to a
commercial ride that went badly wrong. SSA escapes those types of
claims as the FAA stands behind all the instructors and commercial
pilots.

The second thing to note is the USHGA waiver that all new members must
sign. You and your heirs are promising to not sue in the event of many
types of accident, whether your fault or not, equipment failure or not,
etc. If you sue anyway, you agree to pick up the defendants legal fees.
Which drives down the incentive to sue. I haven't heard of any test
cases yet. I can supply a copy of the waiver to anyone interested.

The third thing is that the liability insurance only covers listed
locations and sanctioned events in the U.S.

If you refuse to sign the waiver, you are denied USHGA membership, and
your pilot rating vanishes, as USHGA is the rating body. At least if
you leave SSA the FAA still considers you a pilot.

None the less, I think we're way overdue to look at combining USHGA and
SSA into a single National soaring organization, covering everything
from paragliders to hang gliders to Stemme's. Just think about the
upward migration path. If you're looking for a pool of new glider
pilots, you could look in less attractive places than the ~10,000 U.S.
HG/PG pilots who already love soaring.

Are there any other National organizations that have combined HG/PG with
Gliding?

Ken
Old June 11th 04, 06:10 AM
tango4

Not that I know of but I think its stupid to run the two sports seperately.
Trouble is the 'governing organisations' of the two are probably so totally
incompatible it would never get off the ground.

Ian

Old June 12th 04, 11:10 PM
Steve

The post said the "You and your heirs are promising to not sue in the event
of many
types of accidents". I doubt this would hold up in court. How do you get
your underage kids give up their rights ? They can't ign the form and I
doubt the courts would let the legal guardian take their rights away Does
your spouse sign the waiver and agree not to sue?
S Gibson

Old June 13th 04, 03:41 AM
ken ward

It says: "Pilot and the parent or legal guardian of Pilot if Pilot is a
minor, for themselves, their personal representatives, heirs, executors,
next of kin, spouses, minor children and assigns, do agree as follows:"

Only the pilot signs.

I don't know of any test cases.

Ken