Ka6e vs Foka4

Old July 11th 03, 08:33 AM
Janos Bauer

Default Ka6e vs Foka4

Is there anyone who has experience with both of these sailplanes? They
seems at the same price range but I don't know what would be the
difference during xc flights. What about the maintenance, handling and
any other issues?
Thanks for your advice!

/Janos

Old July 11th 03, 02:55 PM
John H. Campbell

Is there anyone who has experience with both of these sailplanes?

Yes! USA Sports Class National Champion Dave Stevenson, who has won
contests with both these 1960s ships in just the past few years.

Old July 11th 03, 03:08 PM
iPilot

On the other hand, Foka gives significantly better performance.

L/D 34 vs 30

"goneill" wrote in message ...
The K6e is a gem of an aircraft,a little twitchy with its all flying tail
but put your arm on your leg and fly with 2 fingers on the stick fixes that
.
They thermal well and run well for a wooden aircraft ,easy to rig and
handle.
On rigging you have to be careful to place the spar almost in position so
as not to damage the wing root fairings and to make sure the retaining clips
are all facing the correct way so as not to foul control rods etc .
Maitenance is the same as any wood and fabric bird .
. ..

Old July 12th 03, 04:12 AM
Mike Reyes

The Ka-6e has a TRUE 33/1 L/D and was built by German artisans, the
Foka was built by a half dozen guys trying to figure out how to screw
in a lightbulb.
:-)

Old July 12th 03, 06:56 AM
Janusz Kesik

I've heard he had bought a Cobra.
Built by the same guys who had tried to screw in a lightbulb (and I wonder why does that ship scored
second in WGC 1970 at Marfa).

Regards,

--
Janusz Kęsik

I believe Dave still has one of each, so he might be good person to
talk to. Perhaps he'd be willing to sell one...

Old July 12th 03, 06:58 AM
Janusz Kesik

Very funny. Have you ever met any Pole more than a dishwasher in your nearest fastfood bar?

Try to race with a Foka in a Ka-6 and you'll see who should have learned how to screw in a
lightbulb. I suggest you to check what was the only standard class glider which won the open class
in the World Gliding Championships. (HINT: it was built by the guys who must learn how to screw in a
lightbulb).

No regards,

--
Janusz Kesik
POLAND

visit
www.leszno.pl - home of WGC 2003

Użytkownik Mike Reyes w wiadomooci do grup dyskusyjnych
e.com...

Old July 12th 03, 08:35 AM
Keith W

"Janusz Kesik" wrote in message
.. (HINT: it was built by the guys who must learn how to screw in a
lightbulb).

The alternative is a bit of lateral thinking and make the lightbulbs with a
bayonet fitting so that they don't need to be screwed in (as in UK) 8-)

Keith

Old July 13th 03, 06:47 AM
Simon Waddell

See George Moffatt's "Winning on the Wind" for a more considered
comparison - no references to lightbulbs

Old July 13th 03, 02:21 PM
Mike Reyes

Just a light joke, had to stick up for my Ka-6.
I actually contacted a couple of guys in my glider club to let them
know about Dave Stephenson's glider being up for sale for such a
bargain.