Plane Accidentally Starts Moving With 6-Year-Old Inside

Old December 30th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Monk

Default Plane Accidentally Starts Moving With 6-Year-Old Inside

PALESTINE, Texas — Federal investigators are looking into an accident
involving a small plane at an eastern Texas airfield that injured a 6-
year-old girl.

Palestine fire officials said the girl was alone in the Cessna 150
when her 81-year-old grandfather, Virgil Fielden of Fairfield,
manually started the engine of the two-seat plane Sunday afternoon.

Fire Capt. Kyle Betterton says the plane began rolling unexpectedly
and crashed into nearby woods. He says it never left the grounds of
Palestine Municipal Airport.

Betterton says the girl wasn't seriously injured but was airlifted to
Children's Medical Center in Dallas as a precaution. Fielden was
treated for minor injuries at a Palestine hospital.

Palestine is about 100 miles southeast of Dallas.

--------------------

A grandpa trying to share some good memory with his granddaughter. He
should have asked for help in getting the plane started. His heart
was ni the right place. Glad no one was hurt.

Monk
Old December 30th 08, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
BT

It may have been an "accident" when the unpiloted aircraft hit the trees.
But it the airplane did not accidentally start moving.. that would be
negligence on the grandfathers part
Now.. if the airplane had been tied down during the hand propping and a tie
down broke.. then that might be considered an accidental incident

And for Monk.. why do people have to keep positing things that are in the
news, on the news services, on the electronic emails such as AvWeb or
ePilot.

BT

Old December 30th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"BT" wrote

But it the airplane did not accidentally start moving.. that would be
negligence on the grandfathers part

I would have to agree with that, also. We don't need silly incidents like
that for GA... It makes everyone look stupid.

Now.. if the airplane had been tied down during the hand propping and a
tie down broke.. then that might be considered an accidental incident

Yep.

And for Monk.. why do people have to keep positing things that are in the
news, on the news services, on the electronic emails such as AvWeb or
ePilot.

I think that is just someone trying to make conversation, and trying to be
nice by telling people who do not get one of the mentioned services about
things like this happening. As long as it is just a once in a while type of
thing, I really don't mind seeing it brought up again, even if I already
read it in one of the publications.

Does it really bother you? I suppose that is silly to ask, since you
brought it up, but I guess I wonder why, and how bad it gets under your
skin.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 30th 08, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:40:12 -0800 (PST), Monk

[...]

his heart wasnt in the right place.
if the battery was stuffed he should have replaced it.
this accident happened a long time before the day of the crash.

I've replaced my battery twice in the last ten years to avoid just
this sort of accident.
Stealth Pilot
Old December 30th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Dec 30, 5:45*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:
[...]

Stealth Pilot- Hide quoted text -

how about this as the first item on the hand prop check list.

TIE DOWN THE TAIL!

Old December 30th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Monk

wrote:
[...]

I meant the part about him wanting to share the joy of aviation with
his granddaughter. He should have been at the control and asked
another adult at airport to hand prop it for him. Yes, charging the
battery or replacing the battery would have been a better option.

Monk
Old December 30th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Monk wrote:

I meant the part about him wanting to share the joy of aviation with
his granddaughter. He should have been at the control and asked
another adult at airport to hand prop it for him.

The 6 year old couldn't hand prop the plane?

When _I_ was 6... G

ducking...
Old December 31st 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart Fields

"Monk" wrote in message

[...]

I'm 72 and can still remember setting in the cockpit of a Buhl Pup at the
age of 6 and being scared because my uncle was pulling the prop thru oiling
the rockers. Of course the mag switch was off, and of course the mag switch
was in the cockpit with me. I would have been alright if the thing had
started as long as I didn't touch the throttle. The land to the east of
Artesia NM is flat and the Pup would have just run out of gas after a long
taxi. I don't think there were any trees in the way short of Amarillo.

Old December 31st 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Dec 31, 9:51*am, B A R R Y wrote:
Monk wrote:

I meant the part about him wanting to share the joy of aviation with
his granddaughter. *He should have been at the control and asked
another adult at airport to hand prop it for him.

The 6 year old couldn't hand prop the plane?

When _I_ was 6... *G

ducking...

He can't have been 'chock full of ideas then ?
:-)
Old December 31st 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 29, 9:48*pm, "BT" wrote:
It may have been an "accident" when the unpiloted aircraft hit the trees.
But it the airplane did not accidentally start moving.. that would be
negligence on the grandfathers part

Wouldn't that still be an accident? Are you suggesting that if the
plane was not tied down it was a "on purpose"?

In anycase, its not always practical to tie down the tail (especially
in areas without tiedown). I had 3 ways to secure the Aeronca and J-3.
Brakes, chock, tail tiedown. I would always use 2 of those 3. Many,
many times I started the plane when no tie down was available but then
I would use a chock and the aircraft brake (which was marginal). One
thing that "electric" pilots do not realize is that its very, very
hard to guess how much power the engine will develop when it first
starts. Sometimes it will just be idling, other times it will start
with a big roar. Once you've started the plane you can walk around,
put it in a low idle, and then unsecure the airplane.

-Robert