Auto-towing? Cost...about $1.50 per tow? Why is this launchingtechnique not more popular?

Old October 5th 15, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Auto-towing? Cost...about $1.50 per tow? Why is this launchingtechnique not more popular?

Had a conversation with a pal on this recently. It seems academic. Why cost is considered, it has to be even more affordable than winching.

Why is this not a mainstream method of getting gliders airborne?

Interested in learning what you know, your thoughts and opinions.

Sean
7T

Old October 5th 15, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

In my experience, the /_opinion_/ of most people is that ground launch
requires many more people than aero tow. In my personal /_experience_/
(auto tow safari), it only /_requires _/two people - the pilot and the
driver. Of course more people can streamline the process, but we were
there for the fun of it and not to train several pilots. We either
asked an airport person to hold a wing tip for launch or we went with
the wing down or started with a wing stand under the wing tip. The
driver had a hand held radio and a really big knife and we were
successful every time.

Yes, I know that sh!t happens but, to me at least, that's part of the
fun and we were two experienced people. ...Pardon me now while I button
up my flame suit. :-P BTW, it's a 600' overcast day at Moriarty; the
third in a row.

--
Dan, 5J

Old October 5th 15, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

I've no pony in this race.

How does automobile liability insurance apply to autotow?

How does the SSA glider insurance apply to autotow?
Old October 5th 15, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 11:40:16 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
I've no pony in this race.

How does automobile liability insurance apply to autotow?

How does the SSA glider insurance apply to autotow?

If you hit someone or some thing while driving your car, your liability coverage is to take care of it. Should be no different than driving down the road. If you are talking in terms of liability for injury that may come to the person you are launching, they probably won't cover that. At some point in life, we must all accept some level of responsibility for our actions.. And decide who we are willing to trust to not harm us.

SSA glider insurance does not care by what means the launch takes place so long as the glider is approved for that method of launch, and the pilot is endorsed for that method of launch.

And, I really, really doubt that you can do it for $1.50 per launch when you include gas, wear on the car, rope cost and all the other real expenses.

Almost wandered off into other things, but reeled myself in. Auto towing is fun, and if you have a place you can do it and don't have a towplane and tow pilot all the time, it sure is nice to be able to do it!

Steve Leonard
Old October 5th 15, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

I agree with Dan, even a winch launch requires only 3 people
pilot
wing-runner
winch driver

And if everyone is trained to fly and run and drive the winch, well then you can fly all day.
Old October 5th 15, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, I didn't mean to imply that I was putting down the CAP training as
outlined by Fred earlier. With all those cadets it can be beneficial
training to be an observer or radio operator or driver or wing runner
or... Doing any one of those jobs gives the participant a different
perspective on the entire operation plus it keeps everyone busy and
involved.

I would like to see another ground launch safari. With, say, three
gliders and six pilots, there would be three qualified individuals to
run the line and drive the tow vehicles and trailers and three to fly
the gliders straight out. Try for the same destinations - this is not a
contest, it's just for fun. Then switch off the next day and have a
ball. More folks would make for more fun!

Old October 5th 15, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Werner Schmidt

Hello Dave, you wrote 2015/10/05 at 22:58:

I agree with Dan, even a winch launch requires only 3 people
pilot
wing-runner
winch driver

And if everyone is trained to fly and run and drive the winch, well then you can fly all day.

if the pilot is trained to fly *he* can fly all the day ;-

regards
Werner

Auto Towing the LVVSA G103 (YouTube video) jim wynhoff Soaring 0 May 26th 12 03:25 AM
A Preliminary Assessment of the Potential Cost and Cost-Effectiveness of Space-Based Weapons. Mike[_7_] Naval Aviation 0 November 2nd 07 04:18 PM
Auto Towing 2 Place Gliders [email protected] Soaring 11 April 21st 06 05:10 AM
Flying IS popular Jay Honeck Piloting 22 February 19th 04 05:06 PM
Auto conversion cost post Richard Riley Home Built 13 December 28th 03 01:52 PM