Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

Old October 29th 15, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 10:54:23 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Ya know, Guys, I gotta agree with Sean on this one.* It doesn't
matter how educated, well thought out, experienced, or crazy your
answers are.* He will continue to rattle your cages and stir the pot
(to coin a few phrases).* I can hear his laughter and I'm enjoying
the discussion, as well.* Frankly, I can't wait to meet Sean
somewhere on the road at some "glider thing".* I'll bet he's quite
entertaining, maybe even level-headed, but that remains to be seen.

C'mon, Sean.* Come to Roach Dry Lake, NV next April for the Ground
Launch Weekend.* I'd love to meet you!* I'll even have a nice, cold
Alien Ale for you (really, it's a local brand in Moriarty).

Regards,

Dan

On 10/28/2015 1:29 PM, Sean Fidler
wrote:

You guys are getting a little frothy on the mouth insane now. Hlarious.

Is Auto-towing the soaring equivilent of the devil? Did I miss something?

I never said auto-towing was equal to winching.

You say "10x more winches than auto-towing" in the US. I agree, but this is an idiotic statement. I never said there were many auto-towing operatons. My thread asks why are they not more popular. I argue Auto-towing may cheaper and easier than buying a winch and getting organized around them. Again, winches are fine but far from perfect solutions for soaring clubs. If they were...they would be everywhere, would they not?

Are there even 10 winches in the USA that are actively used? I doubt it. If so, please name them. Club, State, City...

1) CLUB, STATE, CITY...
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Thanks and here is a tissue to wipe the froth of your mouths...wow.

Sean
7T

--

Dan, 5J

"Frankly, I can't wait to meet Sean somewhere on the road at some "glider thing"."
Careful what you wish for, Dan. What if whatever he has - is infectious?
Old November 9th 15, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Here is what I posted in the Pulley Launch Yahoo! Group today:

Almost two years ago Mike Logback built some pulleys for glider launching here but we haven't every used them. I found a good deal on some rope and bought 4000 feet this week. I think Mike posted pictures of his Pulley but its a lawn mower front rim with a nice greased bearing on a 2" receiver to go in a standard receiver hitch here in the US.

Method was what John Campbell calls the "Auto-Pulley Tow" he http://www.coloradosoaring.org/think...n_campbell.htm

We launched our Schweizer 2-33 with the standard nose hook.Tow car was my 2014 Subaru Outback 3.6L. Anchor vehicle was Mikes Ford F-150

Headwind was 10-15 mph. Car speed was 20 mph, which kept it in 1st gear. One time it did try to shift into 2nd which resulted in the speed quickly jumping from a nice 55-60 mph on the glider end to an uncomfortable high 60's. Ground Launch Redline is 69 mph. In the future we'll put the automatic transmission in its Manual mode to hold it in 1st gear for the launch.

Flights were done solo and dual. heights acheived were between 1400 and 1600 agl depending on weight. On the first two flights I was able to hook thermals and climb away. Great fun.

After launch we removed the rope from the pulley on the Subaru and drove the Ford back to the launch point. Result was the rope was laid out nice and straight on the runway and ready for the next launch.

We fly at Sunflower Gliderport in Kansas. 7000 feet long by 200 feet wide former Naval Air Station. Paved runway.

Great fun! Looking forward to doing more!
Old November 9th 15, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Douglas County Composite Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol spent the past three days doing auto-tows at Silver Springs Airport. We managed to do 41 tows in two and a half days, averaging 900' AGL. Used a Ford 4WD pickup with sandbags in the back. Remember to put it in 4WD and push the "TOW-HAUL" button before launch so the transmission does not shift into overdrive just as you're reaching 60 MPH. The cadets (and senior members too) enjoy the quick ride, and for those under instruction there is lots of takeoff/landing practice.
Old November 10th 15, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Whitehead

I wrote an article for the UK "Sailplane and Gliding, Dec 2013 / Jan 2014". Title was "The Expedition Glider Pilot's Guide to Launching".It covered bungeying (of course) and also what I have called "modified auto-towing". The modification is the use of pulleys (ground and car) to give a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. The car travels at 1/2 or 1/3 of the glider rope speed ( and distance of course), with much less bumping around for the tow car (and occupants), and all very civilised. The car can continue to pull in the rope ( against the drogue if you wish) thus preventing the problem of long ropes falling all over the countryside. It is more akin to a winch launch, rather than a standard auto or simple reverse pulley autotow. If you send me an email on I can send an electronic copy of the article (for personal use, you would need my and the Sailplane and Gliding Editor's permission to publish further). Pete Whitehead

Old November 13th 15, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]

Meanwhile in Europe:

http://www.lange-aviation.com/produk...t/autoschlepp/
Old November 13th 15, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 12:06:52 PM UTC-8, Alex wrote:
Meanwhile in Europe:

http://www.lange-aviation.com/produk...t/autoschlepp/

Cool! Auto tow to ~700' with the turbo running. But no fremdsprache link on the Lange website?
Should be a good technique for other sustainers. Imagine jets would be the best?
Jim
Old November 13th 15, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andor Holtsmark[_2_]

Cool! Auto tow to ~700' with the turbo running. But no fremdsprache link
on
the Lange website?

Happy to hear that you enjoy it.
As you may have noticed, the whole website is new, and there has not yet
been time to have everything translated. Please be patient (and in the
meantime risk using google translate
https://translate.google.com/transla...%2F&edit-text=
).

No translation needed:
https://youtu.be/b1NIDppkmKU

Andor

Old December 2nd 15, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Everybody's doing it!

https://vimeo.com/147417792
Old December 2nd 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

That hitch mounted release is a thing of beauty. Probably costs more than a 1-26 though :-) http://www.lange-aviation.com/filead...b17ea3f248.jpg

Old December 2nd 15, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 1:46:42 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
That hitch mounted release is a thing of beauty. Probably costs more than a 1-26 though :-) http://www.lange-aviation.com/filead...b17ea3f248.jpg

They cost about the same as a 1-26.