Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

Old December 3rd 15, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 1:46:42 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
That hitch mounted release is a thing of beauty. Probably costs more than a 1-26 though :-) http://www.lange-aviation.com/filead...b17ea3f248.jpg

What a great use for one of those perfectly good hooks removed for the replacement cycle.
UH
Old December 3rd 15, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 6:56:29 PM UTC-6, wrote:

What a great use for one of those perfectly good hooks removed for the replacement cycle.
UH

That is what I did. Have one "too old to overhaul"? Send it back to me, and I will put it into ground launch service. I probably have two or three in this category right now.

Steve Leonard

Old December 3rd 15, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

.... and I JUST sent one in two weeks ago. Doh!
Old February 2nd 16, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

7T......Reading your October post on Auto Tow. But first gotta tell you I have LS-1f N57T. Contest number original to Rudy Moser was 7T when I bought it in 1984.
Concerning auto tow, I used to do it quite a bit. Having learned to fly on the winch in a 2-22 at Black Forest in 1965, I found auto towing pretty much the same. The system which We all liked best was to use a pulley. Glider accelleration is so fast that two people, pilot and driver sufficed. The late Mike Evans and I used to fly together at Westcliffe, Colorado all the time. Using wing stands only we never needed a wing runner, and never ever had any problems. Radio is essential between pilot and driver. We could fine tune airspeed by voice communication. If you need 10 more knots at the glider, remember to ask only for five. The glider is traveling at twice the car speed. The reason we used the pulley was so we could tow with my manual stick Toyota Land Cruiser. With the pulley we did the entire tow in 2nd gear and did not need to shift. Shifting would have put a big strain on the car, and we were afraid it would have induced a big interuption of speed. To pulley tow with a single pulley you need a long runway and a lot of rope. We had a 4300' 3/8 poly rope with weak links at each end. We routinely saw tows ranging from 1700 to 1900 feet. At Westcliffe I cannot think of a many times that any of us had to relight. During winter the primary wave of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains is overhead and believe it or not we used to often find strong wave lift as low as 400 and 500 feet agl. Unless I had enciuntered it often and someone told me I would not believe it. But it's true. During summer thermals were plentiful and a 1700 foot tow worked fine. I did straight auto tows later when living at Pinedale Wyoming. I had a 2500 foot rope and 1600 feet agl was pretty standard. If you are going for quantity of flights then aerotow is probably faster. Repositioning the rope eats up time. I always had a parachute on the end of the rope with a 15 foot leader from the apex of the chute to the glider. That way the rope layed out straight. If after the glider has released from a pulley tow, and there is runway remaining the car can continue which pulls the rope and parachute closer to the pulley with a straight rope as the parachute lands. athis saves lots of retrieval time. C.G. hooks work best for ground launch. Nose hooks with too much back pressure at the top of the launch will cause the glider to porpoise. Releasing some back pressure remedies that. If you can get endorsed by an instructor with experience, I highly recommend ground launching. The runways we used were 6000 feet long. The setup we used to pulley tow was to attach the end of the rop to another car parked well off to the side of the runway, then loop the rope through the snatch block pulley securely tied to the tow hitch on the tow car. We tied it because it needs to be flexable. Then we pulled away from the glider. In order to tow towards the glider as in the case of a short runway, you need a second pulley to reverse direction. The pulley or pulleys need to be high quality with ball bearings and grease fittings. Mine have always been about 6 inch diameter. Also dont use nylon rope. Too much stretch. After liftoff on the pulley tow expect some bowing or slack as there is some sling shot effect as the stretch comes out of the rope. It only lasts a couple seconds so do not rotate into a steeper attitude until the rope is tight again.
Old February 2nd 16, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 11:38:29 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Mike,

We've started doing a little pulley experimenting in the same manner you describe. Our biggest mistake was in starting out using a low quality pulley. We had a lawn mower front wheel rim, with a greased bushing. The first day of launching we did it worked OK but once it starts to lose grease it gets hot quick. On our second day of launching with it it overheated and seized.. So now we will upgrade, likely to a trailer spindle and rim, which is actually designed for the kinds of loads and speeds that we subject it to on a pulley launch.

Launching our 2-22 and 2-33 with the pulley we were getting about 1500 feet high launches. 4000 feet of rope and 7000 foot runway, without very aggressive technique. Great fun!
Old February 2nd 16, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 8:48:46 AM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
[...]

Tony and Mike, I'd be interested to know what the turn-around time is (was) between tows. How do you collect and retrieve the mess of tow-line and take it back to the take-off site without spending much time? There's a good reason why winches spool the entire length of wire or Spectra on the drum after glider release.
Herb
Old February 2nd 16, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 9:45:28 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Herb,

For Pulley launches here is what we did: Glider Releases, car stops, car removes pulley and therefore removes rope from the car. Glider drops rope on the runway or very near. Car drives to anchor vehicle, which releases its end of the rope, grabs that end of the rope and drives to the launch point. Now the rope is laid out nice and straight on the runway. reattach the previous glider end of the rope to the anchor vehicle and thread the rope back through the pulley. Ready for next launch.

For straight auto tows: Glider releases rope to drop on or very near the runway. Car stops, turns around, and drives back to the launch point, then releases its rope. Rope is now laid out straight, no slack, and ready for next launch.

For straight auto tows the car usually meets the glider right after landing.. Add the time it takes to brief the next flight or swap out pilots and there is essentially no delay. Turning around the pulley takes a few more minutes but the launch height is a little higher so that buys some time.

We have a wide runway (200 feet) with no lights and usually empty fields adjacent, so if the rope lands a little wide it's no big deal.
Old February 2nd 16, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 5:48:46 PM UTC+3, Tony wrote:
[...]

Wait .. how does this work?

The fixed car is next to the middle of the runway (well, 4/7ths down it with 4000 ft rope on a 7000 ft runway), and the moving car starts from adjacent to the fixed car?
Old February 3rd 16, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 8:48:46 AM UTC-6, Tony wrote:

Launching our 2-22 and 2-33 with the pulley we were getting about 1500 feet high launches. 4000 feet of rope and 7000 foot runway, without very aggressive technique. Great fun!

And nose hooks. Not the part way back Schwiezer semi-C.G. hook.
Old February 5th 16, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 5:52:29 AM UTC+11, Dan Marotta wrote:
Tow pilot lobby?* Ha!

Send them to Moriarty so I can step down from towing.* It may be fun
for time builders or youngsters but, for me, it's just plain
underpaid work which takes time away from my soaring.

On 10/5/2015 11:27 AM, Sean Fidler
wrote:

Wow! Great posts. I'll need time to read it all. Thanks.

We have an auto-tow rig in Ionia that has been used on rare occasion. Recently, a clinic was done in Cadillac and it was quite successful from what I understand. A number of people got sign offs, etc. But then it died again.

My honest opinion. Aerotowing is popular because the tow pilot lobby likes flying tow planes for free, building hours, etc. We should be auto-towing more! Especially in early training. It's a safe, viable and great option and if done with great care (as aero and winch are) it could be really impactful to lowering costs and increasing the number of youth pilots being trained.

I think the public would get a kick out of seeing cars towing up gliders at airports! There is just something cool about it!

Anyway...back to work.

--

Dan, 5J

Paid tow pilots? I wish...