A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

Old February 5th 16, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

Hi Sean,

I attended a Mifflin regional contest years ago. There was a demonstration of an auto launch as an entertainment/instructional affair. One run only because the stress on the hot rodded auto blew the engine. Entertaining but maybe not for the owner of the auto. I think that power generated has to first be transmitted to the wheels, then additional stress on the auto frame. The added load on a changing vector as it transitions from horizontal to vertical has something to do with stress to the auto chassis/engine/traction combination. I've heard from Paul Nicholls that he commanded the auto on one occasion with Dave Nelson and he felt the rear of the auto lifting up loosing traction.

Me thinks that used on a regular basis, the maintenance cost of auto towing would exceed that of a winch.

I do agree that a cost effective alternative to aerotowing such as winching is desirable. This year, flying in the Alps of France, I have changed my base of operation to a winch only airfield. BTW, I have signed up for KS's winch clinic asa refresher.

I learned to fly gliders at a winch only field in a club run mostly by Germans who migrated to Detroit to work in the tool and die shops after the war.. Very economical for a poor student. Six tows, with instruction, and glider rental, was less than twenty dollars. But as in the traditional "old school" European glider clubs, I was made the winch driver and field boy, arriving at 6:00am, setting up the gliders and winch, and driving the winch all day long. I left the field not infrequently at 10:00pm. But I received free instruction from Eb Geyer, a fantastic instructor who taught me many things expecting great discipline. I really mean great discipline. His disciplined instruction saved my butt on several occasions. I owe him a great debt.

What is the cost of a tow plane and the annual maintenance and cost of employing a tow pilot with insurance? You could buy yourself a grand launching machine and have pennies to spare.
Old February 5th 16, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 5:33:09 AM UTC+3, wrote:
What is the cost of a tow plane and the annual maintenance and cost of employing a tow pilot with insurance? You could buy yourself a grand launching machine and have pennies to spare.

My club in New Zealand has a policy that annual subs pay for admin&clubhouse, glider fees pay for glider maintenance and replacement, and tow fees pay for towplane maintenance and replacement. I think the treasurer does a pretty conservative job on this.

Current tow fees are NZ$15 + $20/1000 ft (up to 3500 ft .. it increases above that). In US$ that's about $10 to start plus $13.33 per 1000 ft.

I think you can reasonably assume that covers the true cost of operating a Pawnee long term.

p.s. we don't pay tow pilots.
Old February 5th 16, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

That's what they get for hot rodding the engine I guess

My first auto tows were behind an early 90's Dodge Caravan. It had about 300000 miles. Then a few behind Steve Leonard's stalker van also very high mileage. Next up we used my dear Ol Blue V6 GMC pickup. It was in the middle of a not yet diagnosed head gasket failure and simply put running like crap with very low power output. Ol Blue was also north of 300k miles.

Recently we've used my Subaru Outback 3.6L, a relatively new Ford F-150, and a Ford SUV of some sort.
Old February 8th 16, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

When I lived in Odessa tx we used my GMC pickup truck for auto towing. I don't think the truck even knew the glider (1-26) was there. If you have 5000 feet if paved runway, auto tow is lots of fun. We could get 900 -1000 ft using a 1500 foot rope in a 1-26. We could get away about 1/2 of the time, maybe less. But at 5 bucks a launch, who cares? Plus all those scratching skills have come in handy more than once.
Old April 15th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hello to all!
Please for help: how much is the highest height when towing by a car ("world best achievement")?

Old April 16th 16, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I've gotten about 1,350' using an 1,800' rope.

On 4/15/2016 10:19 AM, wrote:
Hello to all!
Please for help: how much is the highest height when towing by a car ("world best achievement")?

--
Dan, 5J

Old April 16th 16, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 9:19:36 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello to all!

How about this? up to 1500' the announcer sez. Not unreasonable.
Video link was in a RAS post in 2009:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boqxZ3BOzlY
Adding more rope just seems to give more of a curve to it due to drag.
But with a long dry lake (El Mirage?) and a long bit of something thin like Spectra....
Jim
Old April 16th 16, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Candid Sky Productions
external usenet poster

Fred why not go to or get permission for the dry lake down the road in stagecoach? Years ago they ran auto tow at that spot. And I'd think you can do better at SS airport that what your saying. If you us a diesel truck and have someone that knows how to drive, stick would be better but no matter you negate most of the wear issues. Or just someone that isn't afraid to put there foot in it after the initial roll out.

A g20 van is really a pos when not towing going down the road. :-)
Old April 16th 16, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 10:19:36 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello to all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP8bVgG8xJc
Payout winch in a truck. 2500ft agl common in a 2-33.
Old April 18th 16, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

We used payout winch in a hang glider on Sun Valley parkway West of Phoenix on 6000 ft of spectra and step towed to 4000' +