A Wake Up Call From Luke AFB

Old July 9th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Arnold Sten

Default A Wake Up Call From Luke AFB

GA Pilots are not the only pilots who are subject to noise complaints.
Read this story:

Subject: A Wake Up Call From Luke AFB, AZ

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being
surrounded by civilization that complains about the
noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it
was there long before they were.

A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a
big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who
lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper
complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed
his/her day at the mall. When that individual read the
response from a Luke AFB officer, it must have stung
quite a bit.

The complaint:
"Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do
we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at
precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four F-16
jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing
west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet.

Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes
feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to
impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special? Any
response would be appreciated."

The response:
Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters,
Thursday): On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a
perfectly timed four-ship flyby of F-16s from the 63rd
Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the
grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques.

Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was
previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was
killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day. At 9 a.m. on
June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland
Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a
husband, son and friend.

Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby,
and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear
the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to
the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them
their son's flag on behalf of the President of the
United States and all those veterans and servicemen and
women who understand the sacrifices they have endured.
A four-ship flyby is a display of respect
the Air Force pays to those who give their lives in
defense of freedom.

We are professional aviators and take our jobs
seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer
witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their
ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the
morning air show?" The 56th Fighter Wing will call for
you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents
of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was
in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable
formation of their lives.

Lt. Col. Scott Pleus
CO, 63rd Fighter Squadron
Luke AFB
Old July 9th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thank you, Arold.

TIna

Old July 9th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 7/9/2007 2:00:05 PM, Arnold Sten wrote:

GA Pilots are not the only pilots who are subject to noise complaints.
Read this story:

Snopes has this story on their site, which they indicate as a true account:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

Interesting to note that the original complainant's apology, FWIW, is also
included on the Snopes' page.

--
Peter
Old July 9th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in address)

According to Snopes.com, this incident was in 2005.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

There was another letter that continued this topic.

To his credit, the complainant, Mr. MacRae, tendered a written apology
which was published in The Republic on 9 July:

Regarding "Flyby honoring fallen comrade" (Letters, June 28):

I read with increasing embarrassment and humility the response to my
unfortunate letter to The Republic concerning an Air Force flyby ("A
wake-up call from Luke's jets," Letters, June 23).

I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have
insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.

I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have
served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized
for any discomfort my letter has caused.

This was simply an uninformed citizen complaining about noise.

I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the
four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman
and woman in this war in which we are engaged.

I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I
must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I
love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are
doing.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Tom MacRae, Peoria
Old July 9th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Peter R." wrote in message
On 7/9/2007 2:00:05 PM, Arnold Sten wrote:

GA Pilots are not the only pilots who are subject to noise complaints.
Read this story:

Snopes has this story on their site, which they indicate as a true
account:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

Interesting to note that the original complainant's apology, FWIW, is also
included on the Snopes' page.

Embarrassment is probably an understatement - I can imagine the letter
writer wanted to throw up.

Matt B.
--
"Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become
dominant.

Old July 9th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

"Arnold Sten" wrote in message
. ..
GA Pilots are not the only pilots who are subject to noise complaints.
Read this story:

Figures. Here in Oregon a developer--probably from another (Calif'ckin)
state--built an upscale middle-class housing development and sold a bunch of
homes...immediately downrange from the Camp Withycombe rifle range which had
been there since WWII.

Then, suddenly, the new homeowners went bug**** when they made the shocking
discovery. 'WHAT? RIFLE RANGE? How -DARE- they put up such a thing 50
years before we decided to build our house at the end of it?' Their whole
attitude is 'Well, nobody checked in with ME, and nobody told ME about it,
so it has to be stopped.'

Personally, I'm a Darwinist. If you're so f'in stupid you buy a home
without realizing there's a military shooting range pointed at you, humanity
needs you to stand there and absorb whatever comes flying through the front
of your house, 'cause otherwise you might breed idiots even more stupid than
you are.

-c

Old July 9th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in address)
posted:

According to Snopes.com, this incident was in 2005.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

There was another letter that continued this topic.

To his credit, the complainant, Mr. MacRae, tendered a written apology
which was published in The Republic on 9 July:

[...]
I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have
insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.

[...]
I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran.

Anyone else have trouble reconciling these two statements?

Neil

Old July 9th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
t...

I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran.

Anyone else have trouble reconciling these two statements?

LOL!

-c
Uh oh...here comes the Corpsman!

Old July 9th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

When my dad died some "helpful" citizen wrote into the local paper
pointing out that the obituary the paper wrote forgot to mention the
cost to the taxpayer for the Navy to replace the jet. That stupid
letter to the editor bothered my mother for years. I'm not sure if
some people just don't care or are just clueless.

-Robert