One step closer to owning an Arrow

Old March 5th 05, 06:09 PM
Jack Allison

Default One step closer to owning an Arrow

My partners and I have a verbal offer on a '70 Arrow. We're working on
getting it down in writing but, so far, things look pretty good.
Biggest issue right now is getting the pre-buy scheduled and having SB
1006, the wing spar corrosion service bulletin, performed.

I'm planning to fly back to Chicago (rats, commercially) next weekend to
look at/touch/smell/fly the plane, review the logs, talk to the A&P,
etc. Hoping for some decent flying weather while I'm back there. If
all goes well, one partner and I will bring along an instructor (for
insurance requirements) with us in 3-4 weeks on a return trip to bring
the plane home.

The best words I heard yesterday were from one partner who, after
talking to the seller, called me and said "Get out your checkbook".

Many thanks to Jay Honeck who did us a HUGE favor and flew to Kenosha,
WI, took 100 pictures, talked to the seller, then got all the data back
to me in record time. Man, it pays to have friends scattered across the
US who are similar aviation nuts. Someday, I hope to return similar
favors to anyone needing some help from the left coast.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student-Arrow Buying Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old March 5th 05, 07:54 PM
Jay Honeck

Many thanks to Jay Honeck who did us a HUGE favor and flew to

Kenosha,
WI, took 100 pictures, talked to the seller, then got all the data

back
to me in record time.

Pshaw. 'Tweren't nothing.

Besides, I only did it so that:

(A) You have a manly low-wing to fly to OSH this year (instead of
another rental "C" product)...

(B) I can enjoy all those beers you're going to be buying at Friar
Tuck's!

:-)

Good luck, man. I hope it passes the corrosion checks... I'm keeping
my fingers crossed that the wing spar comes out all shiny and pristine!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 05, 08:03 PM
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:

Pshaw. 'Tweren't nothing.

Ya, I'd probably say the same thing. I mean, *having to* fly somewhere
to look at an airplane, have lunch at a favorite spot, commit general
aviation, enjoy a day away from the business...where do I sign up for
stuff like that? :-)

Besides, I only did it so that:

(A) You have a manly low-wing to fly to OSH this year (instead of
another rental "C" product)...

Ah ha! I was suspicious of this aspect of your true intentions. While
the rental "C" planes have been of the nicer variety, the cost has been
a bit much...ok, a way too much. Need to start dumping that kind of
money in to my own private aviation sink hole :-)

(B) I can enjoy all those beers you're going to be buying at Friar
Tuck's!

This aspect was always assumed. Yep, it's just might have to be a
couple pitchers for you and Mary along with as much caffeinated
beverages for the kids. I'll leave enough in the flying budget to
accommodate :-)

Good luck, man. I hope it passes the corrosion checks... I'm keeping
my fingers crossed that the wing spar comes out all shiny and pristine!

Me too! I've seen some of the ugly Cherokee spar corrosion pictures out
there...nasty, very nasty.

Old March 5th 05, 09:10 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
(B) I can enjoy all those beers you're going to be buying at Friar
Tuck's!

I'm sitting next to you, Jay.

ANOTHER(!!!) beer Jay?
Yup, thanks Jack.

Montblack ....hehehe - burp!
Old March 5th 05, 09:19 PM
Montblack

("Jack Allison" wrote)
snip
My partners and I have a verbal offer on a '70 Arrow. We're working on
getting it down in writing but, so far, things look pretty good.
Biggest issue right now is getting the pre-buy scheduled and having SB
1006, the wing spar corrosion service bulletin, performed.

Congratulations you, you, you, almost Arrow owner.

What kind of group are you in Jack? How'd you find them?

What are the spec numbers you're looking at in the Arrow?
4 + fuel?
Range?
gph?
Any fun speed mods?
Avionics?
etc.

I know. I know. Don't want to jinx the sale. g

Montblack
Old March 5th 05, 11:06 PM
Bob Noel

In article ,
Jack Allison wrote:

Pshaw. 'Tweren't nothing.

Ya, I'd probably say the same thing. I mean, *having to* fly somewhere
to look at an airplane, have lunch at a favorite spot, commit general
aviation, enjoy a day away from the business...where do I sign up for
stuff like that? :-)

especially when you consider how perfect a day it was. :-)

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old March 5th 05, 11:15 PM
Jack Allison

Montblack wrote:

I'm sitting next to you, Jay.

ANOTHER(!!!) beer Jay?
Yup, thanks Jack.

Paul who?

Old March 5th 05, 11:31 PM
Jack Allison

Montblack wrote:

Congratulations you, you, you, almost Arrow owner.

Thanks. Yep, it's about as close as it gets without having spent any
money. That's gonna change by the end of the weekend as we fund our kitty.

What kind of group are you in Jack? How'd you find them?

I've hooked up with two ATC guys. One is a controller, one is a
supervisor. Met the controller at a seminar he gave during an
Instrument ground school. One thing leads to another and what do you
know? We're both interested in co-ownership. The ATC supervisor is a
buddy of his.

What are the spec numbers you're looking at in the Arrow?
4 + fuel?

Um...have you seen the back seat in a '70 Arrow? Vertically challenged
folks only in the back :-) Actually, 75% of the flying between all of
us will be pilot and single pax.

Range?

Dunno. Anything more than 3 1/2 to 4 hours worth of fuel and I exceed
bladder duration so range isn't really a huge factor for me. My long
cross countries consist of fly 3-4 hours, stop, pee, refuel, repeat
until tired, stop for the night, start all over the next day.

gph?

From what I've re read, approx. 10

Any fun speed mods?

Not yet. Ah, the list of modifications has already started in this
area. Probably start with some Lopresti wing tips with the landing
lights/strobes/nav lights. Gotta get rid of that big ugly drag creating
belly strobe too.

Avionics?

Standard. Mostly King. Analog radios, no GPS (yet), Loran (whoppee),
Radar altimiter (sort of cool, wouldn't pay to put one in), factory auto
pilot, dual VOR, single GS, ADF (another whoppee...darn, that means I
need to learn NDB approaches).

I know. I know. Don't want to jinx the sale. g

Nah, I figure if Jay has already blessed the plane so I'm good to
go...um...provided there's none of that nasty corrosion stuff in the
wings, especially the spar caps.

Old March 6th 05, 04:14 AM
Jay Honeck

What are the spec numbers you're looking at in the Arrow?
4 + fuel?

Um...have you seen the back seat in a '70 Arrow? Vertically challenged
folks only in the back :-)

Suffice it to say that no one over 5' 9" is going to fit in back -- at least
not with their blood circulation intact.

Unless, of course, someone Mary's size (or smaller) is flying. Then, the
back seats are downright spacious!

Avionics?

Standard. Mostly King. Analog radios, no GPS (yet), Loran (whoppee),
Radar altimiter (sort of cool, wouldn't pay to put one in)

Hey, that radar altimeter is just plain slick. I've never seen one in
anything smaller than a King Air before!

I know. I know. Don't want to jinx the sale. g

Nah, I figure if Jay has already blessed the plane so I'm good to
go...um...provided there's none of that nasty corrosion stuff in the
wings, especially the spar caps.

Oh, geez. NOW you've done it.

If ANYTHING goes wrong with that plane for the next 36 months, it's going to
be "That jerk Jay!" every time I turn around here...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 6th 05, 04:56 AM
Jay Beckman

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

If ANYTHING goes wrong with that plane for the next 36 months, it's going
to be "That jerk Jay!" every time I turn around here...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Ahem,

I'd be mighty obliged if you'd put a last name or initial on that
phrase...please?

;O)

The Jay in AZ