Digital meters 3

Old April 19th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Digital meters 3

I appreciated many freinds attend discuss digital meters.
In fact, we are interesting in digital meters. First we know most of
pilot liking analog meter with many friends help. I forwarded your
replies to our engineer.
Our engineer told me we should do two kinds of meter, one is flight
meters, second is engine meters.
Filght meter include: ALT, VSI, ASI, Horizon Gyro. Except gyro, these
vales are showed in analog display digital.
Engine meter: CHT, EHT, RPM, TEMP. PRESSURE,HOURS, FUEL CONSUME, VOLT.
AMP. They are showed in numeric display digital.

Some friends suggested usd corlor LCD. Control prices below USD1000.00.
It is impossible in China. We contacted with LCD dealer in China. They
quoted us USD380.00/pc for color LCD. It is too high.
Please recommand us exact prices and which company is suit for our
products.

Old April 19th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I don't know where they get them, but you can purchase a color palm-pilot
for much less than that price.

A brand new notebook computer can be purchased for under $500 with a color
LCD screen, so you 'll need to look elsewhere for yours.

oups.com...

Old April 19th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Steve Foley" wrote

A brand new notebook computer can be purchased for under $500 with a color
LCD screen,

Yes? Where?

Also, LCD computer screens lack enough brightness to be seen in direct
sunlight, or anything near that bright, so are unsuitable for airplane use.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 19th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Steve Foley" wrote

www.dell.com

Also, LCD computer screens lack enough brightness to be seen in direct
sunlight, or anything near that bright, so are unsuitable for airplane

use.

OP did not ask about suitability of LCD display for aircraft use.

--
Jim in NC

Old April 19th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
news%s1g.7111$_w6.6218@trndny09...

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Steve Foley" wrote

A brand new notebook computer can be purchased for under $500 with a

color
LCD screen,

Yes? Where?

www.dell.com

Also, LCD computer screens lack enough brightness to be seen in direct
sunlight, or anything near that bright, so are unsuitable for airplane

use.

OP did not ask about suitability of LCD display for aircraft use.

--
Jim in NC

No, but it's a good question. LCD's are hard to read in anything but the
ideal lighting. I use a PDA in my sailplane and I have to remove my
sunglasses to read it. A backlight bright enough to make it readable would
consume too much battery power.

A light, low power, screen readable in any light would be a big help. Maybe
the 'digital ink' screens will be an inprovement.

bildan

Old April 19th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Steve Foley" wrote

OP did not ask about suitability of LCD display for aircraft use.

Let me re-post some of a post, several back.

Our engineer told me we should do two kinds of meter, one is flight
meters, second is engine meters.
Filght meter include: ALT, VSI, ASI, Horizon Gyro. Except gyro, these
vales are showed in analog display digital.
Engine meter: CHT, EHT, RPM, TEMP. PRESSURE,HOURS, FUEL CONSUME, VOLT.
AMP. They are showed in numeric display digital.

Some friends suggested usd corlor LCD. Control prices below USD1000.00.
It is impossible in China. We contacted with LCD dealer in China. They
quoted us USD380.00/pc for color LCD. It is too high.
Please recommand us exact prices and which company is suit for our
products.

When he says: "Some friends suggested usd corlor LCD.", is he not talking
about a display for his flight systems? I think that is pretty clear.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 19th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I appreciated many freinds attend discuss digital meters.
In fact, we are interesting in digital meters. First we know most of
pilot liking analog meter with many friends help. I forwarded your
replies to our engineer.
Our engineer told me we should do two kinds of meter, one is flight
meters, second is engine meters.
Filght meter include: ALT, VSI, ASI, Horizon Gyro. Except gyro, these
vales are showed in analog display digital.
Engine meter: CHT, EHT, RPM, TEMP. PRESSURE,HOURS, FUEL CONSUME, VOLT.
AMP. They are showed in numeric display digital.

Just an observation, as a pilot, I can tell you that I generally am not
interested in the absolute value of temp, pressure etc. What I need to know
is that the reading is in the green arc, ie it's within an acceptable range.
That to me represents the atvantage of traditional instruments over digital,
I can tell at a glance in a rapid instrument scan what the current situation
is. Another advantage is that I can do it with peripheral vision, and keep
my attention where it needs to be, ouside the cockpit.

Old April 20th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message

............ LCD's are hard to read in anything but the
ideal lighting. I use a PDA in my sailplane and I have to remove my
sunglasses to read it. A backlight bright enough to make it readable

would
consume too much battery power.

That is why I am still using my old "black & white" Compaq 1550.
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogaller...r_Mt_Range.jpg

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-14/N990/N990.html

Old April 20th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message

............ LCD's are hard to read in anything but the
ideal lighting. I use a PDA in my sailplane and I have to remove my
sunglasses to read it. A backlight bright enough to make it readable

would
consume too much battery power.

That is why I am still using my old "black & white" Compaq 1550.
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogaller...r_Mt_Range.jpg

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-14/N990/N990.html

I had a Compaq 1550 but I dropped it (about a foot) and it no longer works.
I now use an Ipaq 3955 and the readability is just about as good (or bad) as
the old 1550 but the power comsumption is a lot higher for the color screen.
The totally reflective displays like "Electronic Ink" look good. We don't
really need fast response screens - just really good 'at-a-glance'
readability in direct sunlight.