New Orleans: Fly low and slow over Convention Center to air drop?

Old September 6th 05, 10:00 PM
Terry Briggs

Thank you George. My insulin (maybe Dave S's is a different critter) is a
protein that will spoil, just like any other protein that is not used
immediately or refrigerated.

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Dave S wrote:

Prudence dictates that you keep a ready supply of your prescription meds,
and TAKE THE MED BOTTLES WITH YOU when you leave home.

Some meds (insulin, for example) require constant refrigeration.

George Patterson

Old September 6th 05, 10:01 PM
Terry Briggs

WRONG - it won't last 30 days in NO La. heat. What an idiotic statement.

"Dave S" wrote in message
news

George Patterson wrote:

Some meds (insulin, for example) require constant refrigeration.

Actually, insulin can last up to 30 days at "room" temperature. At one of
the hospitals I work at we have not been refrigerating OPENED/USED insulin
bottles for over 3 years now. We put it in the patient's med drawer in a
med cart station, rather than leave it in the fridge where it may become a
"community bottle" (increasing the chances someone may re-enter it with a
used needle from a different patient).

Dave

Old September 6th 05, 10:04 PM
Terry Briggs

The pay phones don't have to be removed - just remove the ability to make
incoming calls. Slows the drug dealers quite a bit.

The phones are removed because of little use. (And makes folks buy cell
phones which make more money for the companies.)

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
Greg Copeland wrote:

I didn't say "their phone", I said, "a dang phone". Meaning, any phone
would do. Phones are not exactly hard to come by if someone is really
determined to make a call.

Not alot of payphones left in Louisiana, Bellsouth has removed them due to
lack of usage, or the police have requested their removal due to drug
deals. Most businesses don't allow people off the street to use their
phone. How well do you kneaux your neighbors?

Old September 6th 05, 10:05 PM
Terry Briggs

Scream "HELP" real loud.

"john smith" wrote in message
. ..
Newps wrote:
It will be three years in October since I got rid of my landline phone. I
just decided I wasn't going to pay those taxes anymore. For about the
last year I have had an internet phone from Vonage. It costs me about
$17 a month and the area code for that phone is from the St. Paul, MN;
area(651) so all of our relatives can call us toll free. Unbelievable how
well it works.

How do you contact 911 when the broadband goes out?

Old September 7th 05, 01:21 AM
john smith

In article ,
"Terry Briggs" wrote:

Do your kits filter out gasoline, diesel, and about 1000 other chemicals in
the toxic mix inside NO?

Activated charcoal will... at least one time use.
Old September 7th 05, 01:40 AM
Flyingmonk

I commend your efforts, I wish I had a plane.

Old September 15th 05, 04:14 PM

Listen to 'The American Life' from NPR that aired this weekend.
Several stories about the situation in New Orleans.

One story (confirmed, multiple sources) was on how the local police
from the town on the other side of the Mississippi bridge guarded the
bottom of the bridge on the New Orleans' side and wouldn't let anyone
try and cross the bridge. Despite the fact there was no traffic on the
bridge. These police officers fired their guns into the air/toward the
people to keep them back.

Why a largely white town in Mississippi didn't want thousands of wet,
dirty and mostly black 'displaced' persons entering their precious town
is left as an exercise for the reader.

Old September 15th 05, 04:26 PM

Also, remember that during the first few hours/days, the ratio of
chemicals to water was much lower than it was after a week or two.

The point of the kits is to be used as soon as possible after disaster
before pollution can become an issue. By getting them right at the
beginning of a disaster, it allows for many individuals to shelter in
place and survive for several days until rescue can get around to them.
Many could have waited for a week on an unflooded second / third floor
while rescue concentrated on those that needed medical attention.

As a sad fact, I saw an image of someone who had painted 'Diabetes
Hear' on their roof. The use of 'Hear' instead of 'Here' was their
mistake, not mine.

Another way to get gasoline and diesel out of the water is to skim or
soak it up off the surface, use the sun to lightly heat the water and
evaporate the fuels off. If you need it immediately, a match or spark
will work as well.

Old September 15th 05, 04:34 PM
sfb

If you are going to spread ugly rumors, it would help to look at a map
first and include some details. There is no bridge from New Orleans to
any town in the State of Mississippi. The closest anything comes to that
description is the I-10 bridge east of NO across the lake which Katrina
took out.

oups.com...

Old September 15th 05, 04:34 PM

I finally figured out how Homeland Security decided to deal with a
disaster.

First, they worked to prevent a terrorism attack that would cause a
disaster.

The next part of the plan we saw arrive in the New Orleans area as a
convoy of 16 identical, brand new, unmarked government 18 wheelers.
That carried the mobile morgue. This it the only thing I've seen from
FEMA that looked well planned and arrived on time.

The assumption at Homeland/FEMA has been like 9/11 there probably would
be no survivers, so they concentrated on preparing for mass body
retreival.