Panel Mount Digital Volt Meter

Old October 31st 13, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Panel Mount Digital Volt Meter

I don't use an IOIO card, I use a K6BT. I wonder if voltage is transmitted
in the data stream from my 302.

Doesn't really matter any more. I received my digital volt meter today and
am very pleased with it. I'll install it tomorrow.

"Kimmo Hytoenen" wrote in message
The voltage measurement is made in the IOIO card using analog
input. And you have to select voltage measurement under devices
menu.

At 00:27 30 October 2013, Dan Marotta wrote:
The battery info box on my Streak running XCSoar (Top Hat is

based on that)

shows only percent of charge of its internal battery.

"Kimmo Hytoenen" wrote in message
If you use IOIO card for communication and XCSoar or TopHat

SW
you can use battery voltage infobox.
-kimmo

Old October 31st 13, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
StaPo

the smallest LCD indicator I can find is
http://www.lascarelectronics.com/tem...?datalogger=36
but it needs some soldering work (shunt) to display range of 12V pwr.
Old November 1st 13, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:04:37 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
A certain small percentage of electronic devices are subject to "infant mortality". Sorry you were the unlucky one that time. All high reliability electronics (jet engine fuel controls for example) are subjected to a lengthy burn-in period in a temperature chamber to weed out bad parts.

So I could hook up a new meter up a battery and put it in the oven (on warm) for a few hours to promote "infant mortality" before I go to the trouble of installing it? If it fails, I return it as defective.
Old November 1st 13, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:16:10 AM UTC-7, Jim White wrote:

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...001_2095040_-1

Supply current is only 3 mA.

Bought and fitted one of these. Threw it away when it failed a month later!

My experience is quite different. I've used this meter in two gliders starting in 1998. Never a problem. I used black paint for plastic to paint the frames, as the silver color didn't match the panels.

This meter, unlike the meter in your soaring computer or Becker radio, gives "unloaded" battery voltage which I find more useful for assessing battery charge status.

bumper

Old November 1st 13, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Not sure what you mean by "unloaded" in this context, Bumper. I plan to
install mine across my main bus such that, if all equipment is off, then
it'll read whichever battery is turned on (connected to the bus). As I turn
on equipment, it will read the loaded battery voltage.

Now, if you're talking about a high current battery load test, that's a
different animal. I'm not trying to do that.

Old November 1st 13, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Admin Gliderguider

http://www.lascarelectronics.com/tem...atalogger.php?

datalogger=36
but it needs some soldering work (shunt) to display range of 12V

pwr.

http://www.gliderguider.net/batttery_monitor.htm

Just a single 6.5mm hole in the panel and two wires across your
on-board battery supply. Developed specifically for use with 12V
Sealed Lead Acid/Gel Cell batteries in the range 7-18 Ahr. Notably,
the three thresholds (for Green, Yellow & Red) have been preset
for batteries which are NOT used while connected to a charger.

Regards
Allan
www.gliderguider.net

Old November 1st 13, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 son_of_flubber wrote:

So I could hook up a new meter up a battery and put it in the oven (on warm) for a few hours to promote "infant mortality" before I go to the trouble of installing it? If it fails, I return it as defective.

To do it correctly you should put it in the oven at around 175F for an hour, then immediately transfer it to your freezer for an hour. Repeat 12 times. This is commonly called burn-in or ESS, environmental stress screening.
Do not do this with any equipment that has an LCD display or a battery. They don't like heat. You would have to power it with long wires.

Old November 1st 13, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Soartech wrote, On 11/1/2013 9:36 AM:
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 son_of_flubber wrote:

So I could hook up a new meter up a battery and put it in the oven
(on warm) for a few hours to promote "infant mortality" before I go
to the trouble of installing it? If it fails, I return it as
defective.

To do it correctly you should put it in the oven at around 175F for
an hour, then immediately transfer it to your freezer for an hour.
Repeat 12 times. This is commonly called burn-in or ESS,
environmental stress screening. Do not do this with any equipment
that has an LCD display or a battery. They don't like heat. You would
have to power it with long wires.

The appropriate "burn-in" procedure will vary considerably, depending
the device and it's intended use. For "consumer" devices that aren't
critical to flight safety (like a voltmeter), don't waste your time even
thinking about it: buy and try it, and if it fails, ask for another one
or your money back. If it is critical to flight safety, buy one that's
intended for critical use (it will cost a lot more), and have a back-up
plan for if/when it fails.

email me)
Old November 2nd 13, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Friday, November 1, 2013 8:01:34 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Not sure what you mean by "unloaded" in this context, Bumper.

Dan, That's the way my meter is connected as well, "across the bus" and so reads the voltage of whichever battery is connected. What I meant by "unloaded" is also as you describe . . . you can read each battery with no additional load on it if desired. The point being that to use the voltage function of say a Becker radio, the radio has to be turned on to view the voltage and so it applying at least standby current load to the battery.

bumper