Crash at MYF today....

Old January 12th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Default Crash at MYF today....

Old January 12th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"A Guy Called Tyketto" wrote in message
et...

Mxsmanic wrote:
A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

Not that it should be a factor, but I do wonder about the age
of the pilot.. How old does the general public think is too old to fly?

What the general public thinks should not be the basis of any age
restrictions on flying.

I never said it did. Re-read the first part of that sentence.
It says:

"Not that it should be a factor".

Sometimes I wonder if you put up an argument just because you
can. I also do wonder if it is easier to clap with one hand than it is
to argue with you.

Pilots slide off the runway all the time. Why is age not brought up
when they are young, but suddenly a factor when they are old?

Because you're dealing with reflexes and able to act on
impulse. It has been medically proven that said reflexes and impulses
tend to get slower as the body ages. Think about that the next time
you're stuck behind a senior citizen when they are driving 30km less
than speed limit on the road.

BL.

I suddenly have this really funny image of looking through the Citroen ahead
of me and being able to only see a Beret...

I wonder how the phrase "Great, I'm stuck behind 'A Hat'" translates?

Jay B

Old January 12th 07, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article ,
Matt Whiting wrote:
The general feeling was "They let 84-year-olds pilot planes?" No
specific age cut off was mentioned, but other then Crossfield/Hoover
types, the general feeling was 80+ was too old.

As long as Congress has the same age limit. :-)

Works for me. They should at least test for a pulse...

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old January 12th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:
A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

Not that it should be a factor, but I do wonder about the age
of the pilot.. How old does the general public think is too old to fly?

What the general public thinks should not be the basis of any age
restrictions on flying.

I never said it did. Re-read the first part of that sentence.

....and you weren't accused of saying that it does. In addition,
disclaimer notwithstanding, you did muse out loud about the age of
the pilot. If it was irrelevant, why did you bring it up?

It says:

"Not that it should be a factor".

immediately followed with a "but" and the introduction.

Sometimes I wonder if you put up an argument just because you
can. I also do wonder if it is easier to clap with one hand than it is
to argue with you.

With this unexpected statement, it suggests that you are judging the
speaker instead of the words. Mxsmanic made a perfectly reasonable
statement that spoke to your musing and question. It does not merit
your tone of response.

Pilots slide off the runway all the time. Why is age not brought up
when they are young, but suddenly a factor when they are old?

Because you're dealing with reflexes and able to act on
impulse. It has been medically proven that said reflexes and impulses
tend to get slower as the body ages. Think about that the next time
you're stuck behind a senior citizen when they are driving 30km less
than speed limit on the road.

....but the youngsters don't have the same depth of experience to
avoid getting into fixes where those reflexes are tested. Think about
it the next time some hotshot comes flying up on you in heavy traffic
doing 30km over the "flow of traffic".

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix narrowwares
Bowie, MD, USA |
http://whitewolfandphoenix.com
Proud member of the SCA Internet Whitewash Squad
Old January 12th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Michael Houghton wrote:
Howdy!

Yo.

I never said it did. Re-read the first part of that sentence.

...and you weren't accused of saying that it does. In addition,
disclaimer notwithstanding, you did muse out loud about the age of
the pilot. If it was irrelevant, why did you bring it up?

Because with this incident happening, the public is going to
take that into account to demand something to be done. They are going
to wonder why someone his age still has his ticket, and to keep their
skies safe, will lobby for some sort of cap on a pilot's age. I
personally don't care how old the guy was, nor do I care for any age
limit. The guy could be going on his 180s and flying, and I really
wouldn't care. More power to him, and I hope when I get that old, I can
still fly. But the general public won't think that. That is why I
brought it up.

It says:

"Not that it should be a factor".

immediately followed with a "but" and the introduction.

See above.

[...]

If Driving:
If they are doing that, when I look in my mirrors, I generally
see that they are being followed by police who are pulling them over.

If Flying:
Depending on what airspace I am in, that will be ATC's
responsibility, as they would be responsible for separation of
aircraft. I would also hope that they'd get a dressing down from them
for pulling what they're trying to pull.

BL.
- - --
Brad Littlejohn | Email:
Unix Systems Administrator, |

Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! |
http://www.wizard.com/~tyketto
Old January 12th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

Because you're dealing with reflexes and able to act on
impulse. It has been medically proven that said reflexes and impulses
tend to get slower as the body ages.

How much flying have you actually done? Anyone making rapid control
movements on a 182 has other issues, wouldn't you think? Sure and
steady works better for me!

Think about that the next time
you're stuck behind a senior citizen when they are driving 30km less
than speed limit on the road.

When was the last time the senior citizen had a medical review or a
bi-annual driving review?

I'm 40, and I'm sure nobody my age has recently run off a runway... G
Old January 12th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

Because you're dealing with reflexes and able to act on
impulse.

Not if you're a good pilot. If you need fast reflexes to get out of
trouble, you were already in trouble long ago.

It reminds me of something taught in driving and motorcycle classes:
there's no point in having your foot over the brake pedal or your hand
on the brake lever when you enter an intersection, because if you
don't know whether or not you'll need the brake, you're entering the
intersection unsafely in the first place.

Young people may need reflexes because they don't have the experience
to avoid dangerous situations. People with more experience don't need
the reflexes, because they can avoid danger to begin with.

It has been medically proven that said reflexes and impulses
tend to get slower as the body ages.

See above.

Think about that the next time
you're stuck behind a senior citizen when they are driving 30km less
than speed limit on the road.

That has nothing to do with reflexes, and most senior citizens don't
drive abnormally slowly.

Old January 12th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Michael Houghton writes:

...but the youngsters don't have the same depth of experience to
avoid getting into fixes where those reflexes are tested. Think about
it the next time some hotshot comes flying up on you in heavy traffic
doing 30km over the "flow of traffic".

Exactly.

And, actually, experience often isn't related to age, anyway, since
people don't start flying at birth. But the key to flying, or
driving, or cycling, or skiing, or doing much of anything safely is to
know enough to avoid danger, rather than trying to deal with it like a
cowboy when you stumble carelessly upon it.

Old January 12th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:

It reminds me of something taught in driving and motorcycle classes:
there's no point in having your foot over the brake pedal or your hand
on the brake lever when you enter an intersection, because if you
don't know whether or not you'll need the brake, you're entering the
intersection unsafely in the first place.

Don't know where you heard that, but that's nonesense. I've been
riding high performance motorcycles for a long time, have taken
numerous classes, and have done many track days. It is very common
knowledge in the motorcyling community that one should "cover" (have
their fingers over and ready to use) the front brake at all times.
It's something that a new motorcycle rider is trained to do, and
eventually it becomes an instinct that you don't even have to think
about.

Old January 12th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

And, actually, experience often isn't related to age, anyway, since
people don't start flying at birth. But the key to flying, or
driving, or cycling, or skiing, or doing much of anything safely is to
know enough to avoid danger, rather than trying to deal with it like a
cowboy when you stumble carelessly upon it.

I read something interesting some months back about age vs. the likelihood
of being involved in an aircraft accident.

The article said that assuming comparable flight experience, someone who
started flying earlier in life was less likely to be involved in an accident
than someone who started later in life. In other words, if you compared two
40-year-old pilots with 1,000 hours of flying experience the person who
started flying at 25 and who had accumulated 1,000 hours of experience over
15 years was less likely to be involved in an accident than the person who
started flying at 35 and had accumulated 1,000 hours of flight time in 5
years.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the statistic but it is interesting.

BDS