FCC talking about relaxing cell phone rules

Old December 17th 04, 07:05 AM

I don't blame the cell phones, they're a great advance. I have one, I
hardly
use it, but I have one. I just think that they have allowed rude

people to
be even more inconsiderate. Hey maybe someone should come up with a

"cell
phone booth". A booth with nothing in it!

I don't blame the phones either - they just provide a con-
venient excuse for the inconsiderate in our midst to show
their true nature. Personally I make a point of trying to
avoid annoying others - stepping away or outside when I
can, and speaking softly when I can't. It is hard to remember to
silence the ringer when you should, though.

As for having to listen to other people's conversations,
that is a problem whether phones are involved or not.
Perhaps hearing half of a conversation is more annoying
than a whole one. I have had to endure some extremely
annoying conversations in situations where I couldn't
leave (like on a bus, train or plane) - and one or two
abusive monologues intended to irritate everyone within
earshot. Maybe the answer is to keep handy noise canceling
earphones (or a music player of some sort)for use when you want to
escape the sounds made by your unwanted companions.

I remember an incident years ago (before cell phones) in
which I was seated in a restaurant listening to a conversation
on a two-way radio. I was careful to adjust the volume to
a barely audible level - certainly less than the ambient
noise of dozens of people talking at once. My doing so ap-
parently greatly annoyed a man at the next table, who ap-
proached me in a very hostile manner, asking if I intended
to continue listening. I replied in the affirmative -
whereupon he and his companion moved to another table.
Obviously, the threshold of being offended varies greatly
from one person to another. My question is "what is the
difference"? My radio was simply people talking - and we
were surrounded by talking people!

To get back to the original topic of this thread: There is
nothing inherently wrong with using cell phones on airliners
(provided the technical issues are satisfactorily resolved).
From a passenger's point of view, having a means of using

the time in a productive or diversionary manner helps pass
the time. The real problem lies in being forced to share
an extremely compact space with dozens of strangers - who
may or may not annoy you.

As for private phone booths - yes I remember them. I also
remember that most of them smelled of urine before they
disappeared. They also used to make wall-mounted enclosures
that attempted to provide some measure of sound deadening -
but these seem to have disappeared as well. I think that
the traditional pay phone is likely to disappear in the
near future. I know I never use one unless there is no
alternative.

Maybe the final solution is to pass a law that all cell
phones must be in the form of a helmet - from which all
sounds made or heard by the user must be inaudible to others
at any distance greater than 12 inches.

David Johnson

Old December 17th 04, 06:24 PM
Jose

I don't blame the phones either - they just provide a con-
venient excuse for the inconsiderate in our midst to show
their true nature.

Actually, the phones do share some of the blame. There is little to
no sidetone in cell phones (that I've used). The first time I used a
cell phone I made a call to my aunt to test it out. A few minutes
into the conversation I realized I was shouting into the thing just
like all the other people whose cell conversations I despise. I
wasn't trying to be inconsiderate - but the cues provided by the
earpiece (that I'm being herad) did not exist. With more sidetone in
the earpiece, people naturally talk more quietly.

Now when I use the phone I make extra effort to talk quietly, but it
is not natural the way it is on a regular phone.

My question is "what is the
difference"? My radio was simply people talking - and we
were surrounded by talking people!

One difference is the tone quality. A radio speaker typically emits
only treble, and it =sounds= different from a regular conversation.
The experiment would be interesting repeated through a hi-fi.

I suspect that this is part of the issue with cell phone use while
driving. The sound is tinny, comes through one ear, is often a
tenuous connection, and is full duplex. This requires more brainpower
to process - not enough more that we'd notice without something (like
accident rates) against which to measure it, but more nonetheless. A
two way radio in the car (like an aviation set) would be half duplex,
higher quality, and come in both ears. (Half duplex is important
because it means that you don't have to listen while you're talking.)
I have found it's much easier.

Maybe the final solution is to pass a law that all cell
phones must be in the form of a helmet - from which all
sounds made or heard by the user must be inaudible to others
at any distance greater than 12 inches.

The cone of silence goes mainstream!

Jose
--
Freedom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old December 18th 04, 06:27 AM

I agree that sidetone is a valuable aid to making the use
of a communications device seem more natural and intuitive.
Perhaps this should be a parameter that is user-adjustable
(at the risk of causing feedback if set too high).

I also agree that the fidelity and perceived audio quality
of small speakers leaves much to be desired. Perhaps such
sound quality is irritating to some people - but then some
are hypersensitive in general. Since I'm a daily user of
such devices, I tend not to notice. I have a "hands free" adapter in my
work vehicle, and agree that using it provides
a remarkable improvement in sound quality. However, I tend
to use the "hands free" feature only when stopped. If the
phone rings while I'm on the road I will invariably pick
up the handset.

I do think that us pilots are more able to use a cell phone
while driving than the average joe. This is probably because
we are accustomed to multitasking and prioritizing our
sensory inputs. That would make an interesting subject for
a study. As for the safety aspect, I am careful to pull
off the road before dialing. Answering or continuing a
conversation already underway requires considerably less
attention.
As for the helmet idea - I'm being facetious, of course!

David Johnson

Old December 18th 04, 11:37 AM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:24:19 GMT, Jose
wrote:

(Half duplex is important
because it means that you don't have to listen while you're talking.)

Duplex means the sound travels back and forth; half duplex means
push-to-talk (at which moment the other party is silenced)?

Interesting analysis, thank you. It is certainly true for me that cell
phone conversations, and cell phone users, are particularly annoying.

I have noticed however that the most ubiqutous users--the students at
the state university which is my downtown--are much better than adults
on the streets of say New York. Perhaps because they have grown up
with the thang, so they know not to shout? Certainly I have never
heard a student say, as I heard a presumably high-paid businessman
boast as we were settling into a jet liner at Washington National
Airport, "Guess where I am?"

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old December 20th 04, 06:25 AM
john szpara

Now flying a little 172 or something comparable at low altitudes, then
I think you would be successful.

Scott D.

Speaking of, I was flying at 4,500ft over an area where I normally get
reception. I wanted to call a friend and say "look up, I'm flying over
you." I didn't have any reception.

Does anyone know for certain whether a cell phone interferes with nav
or com?

John Szpara
Affordable Satellite
Fiero Owner 2-84 Indy Pace cars, 86 Coupe, 88 Formula 3.4, 88 Coupe, 88GT
Old December 22nd 04, 05:55 AM
Tim B

I don't know about you, but the traffic separation I consider acceptable in
an airplane is a lot larger than that in a car. Because of that, going
"instrument" in the car to dial the phone is scary .

oups.com...