Odd TFR

Old February 1st 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Odd TFR

There's a TFR today over DC for the State of the Union address.
I don't understand why when there's been a massive one in
place for the past 4 years.
Old February 1st 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

blanche cohen wrote:
There's a TFR today over DC for the State of the Union address.
I don't understand why when there's been a massive one in
place for the past 4 years.

Well, you know, those small GA aircraft are SUCH a security risk.
Old February 1st 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"blanche cohen" wrote in message
There's a TFR today over DC for the State of the Union address.
I don't understand why when there's been a massive one in
place for the past 4 years.

It's only for GA aircraft, because as we all know, it's the GA aircraft that
are really the threat. Cause a hijacked airline flying to Reagan couldn't
divert over to Congress.

This is what happens when the FAA just pulls stuff out of their ass.

They have to give the apperance that they're doing something to improve
security, but they can't do something that would actually cause an uproar
from the airline industry.

Old February 1st 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

blanche cohen wrote:

There's a TFR today over DC for the State of the Union address.
I don't understand why when there's been a massive one in
place for the past 4 years.

My understanding is that even GA aircraft on an IFR flight plan cannot fly
into this TFR, which is obviously different than the long standing
VFR-restrictive TFR in place the past five years or so.

--
Peter
Old February 1st 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:
"blanche cohen" wrote in message

There's a TFR today over DC for the State of the Union address.
I don't understand why when there's been a massive one in
place for the past 4 years.

It's only for GA aircraft, because as we all know, it's the GA aircraft that
are really the threat. Cause a hijacked airline flying to Reagan couldn't
divert over to Congress.

This is what happens when the FAA just pulls stuff out of their ass.

They have to give the apperance that they're doing something to improve
security, but they can't do something that would actually cause an uproar
from the airline industry.

Unfortunately, the appearance works. I work with people (and I work for
an airline!) who think that small aircraft are threats. They were
"relieved" to see a TFR tonight.

Old February 1st 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 01 Feb 2006 01:09:34 GMT, (blanche cohen) wrote:

There's a TFR today over DC for the State of the Union address.
I don't understand why when there's been a massive one in
place for the past 4 years.

Actually, I think the TFR says a bit about the State of the Union...
Old February 1st 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What a moron!! I would be willing to bet that a C152 filled with C4
would barely scratch the paint on a major building.

Old February 1st 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"mjt_texas" wrote:
What a moron!! I would be willing to bet that a C152 filled with C4
would barely scratch the paint on a major building.

But it might scratch the paint on the C152.

C4 size paper isn't what security people are expecting, so that plan might
just work!

;-)
Old February 1st 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter: It's complicated, but that's part of the problem. The Flight
Restricted Zone (FRZ) around the White House and Capitol is generally
off limits to GA, whether VFR or IFR. There is sort of an exception
for folks who have been vetted by the TSA and had a background check
including fingerprints, allowing them to fly in or out of the three GA
airports at the edges of the FRZ if they file a flight plan on the
ground by phone with the Leesburg FSS, give a unique PIN, and squawk a
discrete code givent to them. They can't just fly around in the FRZ,
though, only to/from the so-called DC-3 airports in the FRZ. I guess
the additional TFR grounds those flights.

Mark

Old February 1st 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter: It's complicated, but that's part of the problem. The Flight
Restricted Zone (FRZ) around the White House and Capitol is generally
off limits to GA, whether VFR or IFR. There is sort of an exception
for folks who have been vetted by the TSA and had a background check
including fingerprints, allowing them to fly in or out of the three GA
airports at the edges of the FRZ if they file a flight plan on the
ground by phone with the Leesburg FSS, give a unique PIN, and squawk a
discrete code given to them. They can't just fly around in the FRZ,