One, big sh*t-eating grin...!

Old June 23rd 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default One, big sh*t-eating grin...!

My son's first flight lesson came off as planned today, despite nasty
weather all around. Amazingly, as if by magic, the skies cleared and
the winds calmed, right at the appointed time.

Joe walked over to the airport from the hotel, after working several
hours on the pool and in our future "Flying Tigers Suite". It's
certainly handy, working just 400 yards from the airport...

Almost three hours later, his flight instructor dropped him off in the
lobby, and there was my 16-year-old son, logbook tucked under his arm,
walking through the door as if his feet were still not touching the
ground.

What a grin! You could see that his face was starting to hurt, from
stretching so far and for so long, but still that gigantic, self-
satisfied grin remained firmly in place. His hands moved like moths
flitting around a flame, and he simply could not sit down, as he
excitedly told us that "Gary let me land the plane!" -- and he had
"greased it on"!

He went on and on, while Mary and I just laughed and laughed,
remembering that giddy, wonderful, almost-scared-but-way-excited
feeling when we first took those initial steps into the sky.

Tomorrow he starts ground-reference maneuvers. What fun!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 23rd 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
My son's first flight lesson came off as planned today, despite nasty
weather all around. Amazingly, as if by magic, the skies cleared and
the winds calmed, right at the appointed time.

SNIP
Tomorrow he starts ground-reference maneuvers. What fun!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Congrats Joe!
Can we look forward to Joe posting his progress at rec.aviation.student?
;-)

Marty in MO

Old June 23rd 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jun 23, 4:34 pm, "Marty" wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

ups.com...

My son's first flight lesson came off as planned today, despite nasty
weather all around. Amazingly, as if by magic, the skies cleared and
the winds calmed, right at the appointed time.

SNIP
Tomorrow he starts ground-reference maneuvers. What fun!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Congrats Joe!
Can we look forward to Joe posting his progress at rec.aviation.student?
;-)

He can post in here. Love to hear how he does

Old June 23rd 07, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
SkyDaddy

Have you found all your shirt buttons yet? Hope they didn't do any
damage when they popped off, papa!

Old June 23rd 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I remember that feeling well. It's great!

Peter :-)

Old June 23rd 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Have you found all your shirt buttons yet? Hope they didn't do any
damage when they popped off, papa!

Don't worry -- kids have a way of bringing you back down to earth.

Just a few hours after his lesson he was lambasting me for not
teaching him to "lead his turns with the rudder". I tried to tell
him that I was trying to keep it simple for him, that he'd been flying
with me since before his feet even reached the pedals, and that the
Cherokee really doesn't need rudder for standard turns -- but he
wouldn't buy it...

;-)

Five inches of rain here overnight, with more to come. I'll be amazed
if he gets a lesson in today.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 23rd 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article .com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Just a few hours after his lesson he was lambasting me for not
teaching him to "lead his turns with the rudder".

eh?

You need to use rudder to lead turns in a Cherokee?

I only flew a C-150 once, did most of my primary in a C-172,
and don't remember my CFI telling me to lead my turns.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old June 23rd 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Bob,

At least he has a CFI who knows the word "rudder".

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 23rd 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

At least he has a CFI who knows the word "rudder".

I'm not sure how to take your reply...

Are there CFI's that don't know the word "rudder"? am
I fortunate to have had some pretty good instructors?