Aviation Movies - your top 5?

Old April 29th 06, 12:09 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation

Default Aviation Movies - your top 5?

I want to stock up on some aviation themed videos. Would anyone want to
volunteer their top five aviation movies? Mine a

1. Top Gun.
2. Angels One 5.
3. Memphis Bell.
4. Air America.
5. The Blue Max.

Most aviation related movies have a war theme but there must be interesting
non military movies or documentaries with realistic flying action.

Old April 29th 06, 12:14 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation

The Great Waldo Pepper
The Spirit of St. Louis Jimmy Stewart
Island in the Sky
The High and the Mighty
Flight of the Phoenix [old version with Jimmy Stewart, avoid
the new version like it is the worst ever]

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"news.ozemail.com.au" wrote in
message

Old April 29th 06, 12:24 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation

In article ,
"news.ozemail.com.au" wrote:

I want to stock up on some aviation themed videos. Would anyone want to
volunteer their top five aviation movies? Mine a

1. Top Gun.
2. Angels One 5.
3. Memphis Bell.
4. Air America.
5. The Blue Max.

Most aviation related movies have a war theme but there must be interesting
non military movies or documentaries with realistic flying action.

12 oclock high
Tuskegee Airmen
Flight of the Pheonix
Memphix Belle
Always

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old April 29th 06, 12:27 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation

"news.ozemail.com.au" wrote in message
I want to stock up on some aviation themed videos. Would anyone want to
volunteer their top five aviation movies? Mine a

1. Top Gun.
2. Angels One 5.
3. Memphis Bell.
4. Air America.
5. The Blue Max.

.... curiously omitting:

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines

Remember it was made before the days of CGI, it's all real special effects!

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb

Old April 29th 06, 02:02 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation

"news.ozemail.com.au" wrote in message
I want to stock up on some aviation themed videos. Would anyone want to
volunteer their top five aviation movies? Mine a

1. Top Gun.
2. Angels One 5.
3. Memphis Bell.
4. Air America.
5. The Blue Max.

Most aviation related movies have a war theme but there must be
interesting non military movies or documentaries with realistic flying
action.

I like warbirds

1. Battle of Britain. Lots of Spitfires and Hurricanes.
2. 12 O'clock High. B17's doing what B17's do.
3. The Dam Busters. Real Lancasters, Barnes Wallis, a true story, say no
more!
4. 633 Squadron. Lots of Mosquito action, plus John Mellion. Trivia from
IMDB- Cliff Robertson, an accomplished pilot, wanted to buy one of the
Mosquitoes after filming had finished, as he was so impressed with the type.
He was not permitted to do this but he later bought a Spitfire Mk IX which
he owned until the late 1990s.
5. Con Air. Just a cool movie set on an aeroplane.

Old April 29th 06, 03:21 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:09:27 +0800, "news.ozemail.com.au"
wrote:

I want to stock up on some aviation themed videos. Would anyone want to
volunteer their top five aviation movies? Mine a

1. Top Gun.
2. Angels One 5.
3. Memphis Bell.
4. Air America.
5. The Blue Max.

Most aviation related movies have a war theme but there must be interesting
non military movies or documentaries with realistic flying action.

not in order of merit

air america
those magnificent men in their flying machines
flight of the tiger ( a very charming australian kids movie )
the rocketeer (the extras are all competition aeromodelers)
slipstream (wierd english sci fi movie with the edgley optica)
mad max - flight of the thunderdome. (for the oddball ultralights)

heresy I know but for space flight...
flight of the navigator
wing commander
the last starfighter (just love grigg the turtle :-) )

Stealth pilot

#1 & 3 go in my *bottom* five.

My top 5:

1) 12 O'clock High
2) Flight of the Phoenix (the original with Jimmy Stewart)
3) The Dam Busters
4) Memphis Bell (the documentary)
5) Island in the Sky

Hmph...all B&W films except M B. It's been a damned long time since anyone
made an aviation movie I really liked, I guess.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 29th 06, 04:08 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation

"news.ozemail.com.au" wrote in message
I want to stock up on some aviation themed videos. Would anyone want to
volunteer their top five aviation movies? Mine a

1. Top Gun.
2. Angels One 5.
3. Memphis Bell.
4. Air America.
5. The Blue Max.

Bird of prey. (I love Lamas!)
Starwars
The Bridges at Toko-Ri
Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines (I saw some of the machines
fly into Oxford - They really flew them!)
The Dam Busters.

And for the best ever aerial shot: Where the Lama breaks through the roof in
the opening secquence of Bird of Prey 2.

Slatts

Old April 29th 06, 04:22 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation

"Sla#s" wrote:

The Bridges at Toko-Ri

Ooh, good one! Should've been on my list.

Old April 29th 06, 05:36 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation

1) 12 o'Clock High
2) Fighter Squadron
3) Tuskegee Airmen
4) Flight of the Intruder
5) Fire Birds (okay..crappy plot but awesome helicopter footage)

--
Matt