Radar track of Lidle's aircraft caught on Passur

Old October 11th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default Radar track of Lidle's aircraft caught on Passur

Partial radar track of the first few minutes of Lidle's Cirrus departing
Teterboro on Passur:

http://www4.passur.com/ewr.html

Set the clock there for October 11th, 14:30 pm, then click on the first
aircraft that departs Teterboro.

--
Peter
Old October 11th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

"Peter R." wrote:

Set the clock there for October 11th, 14:30 pm, then click on the first
aircraft that departs Teterboro.

Failed to include that you have to zoom out to the 20 mile range.

There are a couple of aircraft going up the East river around 2:40pm and
one disappears in about the area of upper east side.

--
Peter
Old October 11th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
jwilljr

Peter R. wrote:
"Peter R." wrote:

Set the clock there for October 11th, 14:30 pm, then click on the first
aircraft that departs Teterboro.

Failed to include that you have to zoom out to the 20 mile range.

There are a couple of aircraft going up the East river around 2:40pm and
one disappears in about the area of upper east side.

Better link below:

http://www4.passur.com/teb.html

Use the same info as before...

Jerry
Old October 11th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pgbnh

Wow !! 400 feet up to 500 feet then to 400 feet, then 300, then radar return
goes away. Could not have been more than 5 minutes into the flight. If the
earlier FT's were correct, even 500 feet should not have put him in IMC

Old October 11th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

jwilljr wrote:

Better link below:

http://www4.passur.com/teb.html

Use the same info as before...

14:40 and using this link shows a GA aircraft going north up the East
River, then turns back to the south and disappears.

Sad how that little cartoon is sugar coating the image of the end of
someone's life.

--
Peter
Old October 12th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Guy Elden Jr

I looked at the footage from the LGA Passur site... same thing.

I know nobody should be speculating at this point, so I'll just say
that compared to the Hudson river corridor, the East River corridor is
quite a bit tighter in terms of the area you have to work in when
making the turn at the 59th St. Bridge. Even at maneuvering speed, you
want to make the turn as tight as possible, both to avoid straying into
LGA's airspace, and also to (obviously) avoid hitting anything in
Manhattan.

--
Guy

Old October 12th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Guy Elden Jr wrote:

I looked at the footage from the LGA Passur site... same thing.

I know nobody should be speculating at this point,

No harm in talking or writing, as long as you're not purporting to be an official
data source.

Old October 12th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Guy Elden Jr" wrote in message
ups.com...

I looked at the footage from the LGA Passur site... same thing.

I know nobody should be speculating at this point, so I'll just say
that compared to the Hudson river corridor, the East River corridor is
quite a bit tighter in terms of the area you have to work in when
making the turn at the 59th St. Bridge. Even at maneuvering speed, you
want to make the turn as tight as possible, both to avoid straying into
LGA's airspace, and also to (obviously) avoid hitting anything in
Manhattan.

Why should nobody be speculating at this point?

Old October 12th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Guy Elden Jr

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Why should nobody be speculating at this point?

That's the media's job.

I don't have all the facts, just my experiences of having flown in the
same general area quite a few times, and the radar track as seen on
Passur. I did just fire up Flight Simulator 2004 tho with an SR-20 to
see if that turn is even possible, and flying north at 100 kts, 30
degree bank to the left, maintaining level flight, I was not able to
avoid crossing over into Manhattan when starting from directly over the
east bank of the East River. Maybe it's doable at a slower speed, but
you'd have to probably drop flaps to safely slow the plane down more.
(not sure what the clean stall speed is of that plane).

--
Guy

Old October 12th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Guy Elden Jr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't have all the facts, just my experiences of having flown in the
same general area quite a few times, and the radar track as seen on
Passur. I did just fire up Flight Simulator 2004 tho with an SR-20 to
see if that turn is even possible, and flying north at 100 kts, 30
degree bank to the left, maintaining level flight, I was not able to
avoid crossing over into Manhattan when starting from directly over the
east bank of the East River. Maybe it's doable at a slower speed, but
you'd have to probably drop flaps to safely slow the plane down more.
(not sure what the clean stall speed is of that plane).

It's a tight enough turn that pilots shouldn't be flying it (other than in a
simulator) without first calculating the appropriate speed and bank for the
required turn radius. Practicing the turn first over suitably spaced
landmarks (but without the tall buildings nearby) would also be a good idea,
I think.

--Gary